Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
fei

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by fei » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:23 pm

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:
fei wrote:
lilybbloom wrote:just received my financial aid award notice from michigan... i got the max. amount of unsubsidized loans. but no scholarships (i know i would have heard about that earlier).

is there *any* way to get a scholarship from them without leveraging an offer from another school? the only other offer i have is from vanderbilt, which i know they dont see as a peer school.

ughhhhhh.
I don't even think they accept offers from other schools as leverage. In my scholarship letter, it said that it was not in their practice to do that.
Wrong. Every school says that as a general rule, but as with most rules, there are exceptions. I was specifically told by a Michigan adcom member that they're willing to consider offers from UVA and UPenn (the schools which they consider peer schools). I assume they would consider offers from schools ranked higher as well.
Would they consider NU offers?

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:25 pm

They should, but who knows.

TrojanBadger

New

Post by TrojanBadger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:34 pm

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:
fei wrote:
lilybbloom wrote:just received my financial aid award notice from michigan... i got the max. amount of unsubsidized loans. but no scholarships (i know i would have heard about that earlier).

is there *any* way to get a scholarship from them without leveraging an offer from another school? the only other offer i have is from vanderbilt, which i know they dont see as a peer school.

ughhhhhh.
I don't even think they accept offers from other schools as leverage. In my scholarship letter, it said that it was not in their practice to do that.
Wrong. Every school says that as a general rule, but as with most rules, there are exceptions. I was specifically told by a Michigan adcom member that they're willing to consider offers from UVA and UPenn (the schools which they consider peer schools). I assume they would consider offers from schools ranked higher as well.

Everyone's right. The fact that you were reading a scholarship offer means they won't accept offers from other schools as leverage for you anymore. It says once they've extended an offer they won't raise it. If you haven't been offered any dough, by all means, try to leverage away.

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:42 pm

so... it's worth giving it a try, even though I don't have any peer school offers to leverage with? what would you recommend i say?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:45 pm

lilybbloom wrote:so... it's worth giving it a try, even though I don't have any peer school offers to leverage with? what would you recommend i say?

if you don't have anything to leverage, all you can say is "some scholarship money would really really help".

To be honest, I'd be really really surprised if it got you anywhere. Of course, it doesn't hurt to ask though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TrojanBadger

New

Post by TrojanBadger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:48 pm

lilybbloom wrote:so... it's worth giving it a try, even though I don't have any peer school offers to leverage with? what would you recommend i say?
Well it's a tough call, since you say you're sure they don't consider Vandy a peer school, but it is a very generous offer from them. Are you sure you won't be receiving an offer from Cornell or Georgetown? Press them to find out. Otherwise, they won't be mad at you or anything for asking for money, especially ITE. Worst case scenario, you're where you are right now.

Additionally, these sorts of things (as well as LOCIs) always mean a lot more if you make an offer too, i.e., "I would very strongly prefer to attend Michigan instead of Vanderbilt, but finances are an issue. If you can offer me a scholarship of XX,000, I would without a doubt attend Michigan."

neverborn

New

Post by neverborn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:47 am

fei wrote:
gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:
fei wrote:

ughhhhhh.
Would they consider NU offers?
uh, no. NU is not a peer school and is well known for throwing excessive money to get people to attend.
not really. you're lucky to be in, IMO. take it.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 am

Question for upperclassmen:

I remember reading on other forums years ago that Michigan Law used to have some what of a "softball" league in the Spring. Does that not happen anymore?

Harry Pothead

Post by Harry Pothead » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Summer Starters:

Y'all have civ pro and torts this summer.

Going to Harvard has given me the unique power to divine this information, so crack open your E&Es and go crazy!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Harry Pothead

Post by Harry Pothead » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:52 pm

Wait, rly? No thanks? I did all that divining shit for nothing.

neverborn

New

Post by neverborn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:41 am

go back to your corner

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:42 am

Our Torts professor is really awesome, or he seemed to be based on the preview weekend mock class he taught.

In other news, the student budgets are available via Wolverine Access. Total Student Budget for this year=approx. 91K.
Yay!

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:02 pm

just a girl wrote:Our Torts professor is really awesome, or he seemed to be based on the preview weekend mock class he taught.

In other news, the student budgets are available via Wolverine Access. Total Student Budget for this year=approx. 91K.
Yay!
Where can you find that?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:06 pm

just a girl wrote:Our Torts professor is really awesome, or he seemed to be based on the preview weekend mock class he taught.

Yay!

what's very strange is that sections GH next year seem to have Clark for Civ Pro AND Torts. Clark is awesome, no doubt, but having 2 classes with the same prof seems unusual.

dmreust

New

Post by dmreust » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:07 pm

I thought by looking online at the student budget that it was more along the lines of $60k. I looked in Wolverine Access (I was accepted last year and deferred) and couldn't find what you're referring to. Where were you looking?

Edit: Ok, sorry I was just freaked out by that number. I looked back and realized you're starting in the summer. That makes a lot of sense considering that budget is about 1.5X the regular one. Good luck with summer start!

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:58 pm

awesomepossum wrote:GH next year seem to have Clark for Civ Pro AND Torts
Where do you see the sections for next year? I'm assuming that summer is ABCD or something like that, right?
dmreust wrote:looked in Wolverine Access (I was accepted last year and deferred) and couldn't find what you're referring to. Where were you looking?
Hey, I was also accepted last year and deferred to this year! There's a fair number of us here on these boards.
As to where I found it, once you log onto Wolverine Access you should be able to click on "Financial Aid" status and it gives you your aid and award summaries.

melda

New

Post by melda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:54 am

Last edited by melda on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:21 am

You'll have plenty of time. There is an Apple store at the mall if you want to buy an Mac (which is widely supported). If you don't have a car, the mall is easy to get to by the bus. The University has a computer store in the Union. Buying books is pretty breezy and within walking distance. I was here two weeks before school started and it was plenty of time to get things done. See you in the Fall!

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm moving to Michigan the Saturday before orientation starts on Tuesday! I'm jealous you have so much time. I think it will be plenty of time to get ready since they don't even provide us with the book list or class schedule until orientation.

I have my apartment already but I'm bummed because I have to pay rent for May even though I'll only be there for roughly 1 week of the month.

As far as buying a computer, I think I remember that UMich's computer showcase does a sale in May usually, which is when I plan on picking up my new computer. They have better prices on Apple laptops than Apple stores, even with the educational discount.

becca87

New

Post by becca87 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:21 pm

I'm a summer starter as well, and I'll probably be moving in only a week or so before classes start. From what I've heard, I think it should be fine. Also, our class schedule is available on the Registrar's website if anyone is curious: http://www.umich.edu/~regoff/schedule/.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:49 pm

becca87 wrote:Also, our class schedule is available on the Registrar's website if anyone is curious: http://www.umich.edu/~regoff/schedule/.
I don't think so, the law schedule for Summer 2009 keep coming up blank for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

becca87

New

Post by becca87 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:49 pm

just a girl wrote:
becca87 wrote:Also, our class schedule is available on the Registrar's website if anyone is curious: http://www.umich.edu/~regoff/schedule/.
I don't think so, the law schedule for Summer 2009 keep coming up blank for me.
Spring/Summer 2009 works.

becca87

New

Post by becca87 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:03 pm

http://www.umich.edu/~regoff/timesched/pdf/SS2009.pdf
The summer law school schedule is on page 27 of this.
(You might have to be logged onto Wolverine Access to see it, not sure).

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Hey everyone,

I was admitted about a month ago. I haven't confirmed yet becuz I also got admitted to a peer school. But I do love Mich. Anyone visiting during April for preview weekend?

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:47 pm

tcortez wrote:Hey everyone,

I was admitted about a month ago. I haven't confirmed yet becuz I also got admitted to a peer school. But I do love Mich. Anyone visiting during April for preview weekend?
I also haven't confirmed b/c I'm waiting on 2 schools (who are going to need to pony up some cash for me to not choose Mich)

I'll be there for the April preview. Taking the megabus from Chicago. The itinerary for the weekend looks pretty awesome.. can't wait!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”