Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
just a girl

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by just a girl » Tue May 12, 2009 7:44 am

How do you know if you've gotten a regular single vs an economy single? I don't want a small dormroom again! The price listed is lower than I thought it would be, and I'm nervous that it means I have one of those tiny rooms. Also, how many floors does the LC have?

granitemuse

New

Post by granitemuse » Tue May 12, 2009 8:27 am

just a girl wrote:How do you know if you've gotten a regular single vs an economy single? I don't want a small dormroom again! The price listed is lower than I thought it would be, and I'm nervous that it means I have one of those tiny rooms. Also, how many floors does the LC have?
what was your price? $10,600?

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Tue May 12, 2009 8:35 am

Yep. I thought it would be closer to 11500 or 12000.

granitemuse

New

Post by granitemuse » Tue May 12, 2009 8:39 am

just a girl wrote:Yep. I thought it would be closer to 11500 or 12000.
the listed price on the website is 10,600.

mine was 10600 too.

I don't remember what the two prices were on the grey form.

I think one price was one thousand less, I think 9,600 for the smaller one.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue May 12, 2009 8:40 am

Anhimal wrote:Hey guys! What's the best way to look for a place to live (with small dogs)? Is craigslist the way to go or should I suck it up and pay a broker's fee?
Just come here for three days and do the craigslist / drive around method. University housing also has a website with listings that you can check out. I wound up renting a small older house that we found on CL -- which perfectly illustrates my advice to NOT rent sight unseen, under any circumstances. So many of the places that looked nice on CL where filthy pits, and the house we got looked so lousy in the picture that we almost didn't even bother to call about it (turns out it was the nicest and the most reasonably price one we looked at the whole time). Many of the big complexes and University owned units may not allow pets, but other than that AA is a ridiculously dog happy town.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nietzsche

New

Post by Nietzsche » Tue May 12, 2009 8:48 am

How did you guys get your LC notification? Through the mail?

macjags07

New

Post by macjags07 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:53 am

Nietzsche wrote:How did you guys get your LC notification? Through the mail?
It came in the mail.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Tue May 12, 2009 1:35 pm

I just called the LC. I'm living on the 4th floor, tappan side, in a co-ed block. They even gave me my room measurements over the phone. It's not a bad size room, about the same size as my double was in college.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Tue May 12, 2009 3:52 pm

snotrocket wrote:
Anhimal wrote:Hey guys! What's the best way to look for a place to live (with small dogs)? Is craigslist the way to go or should I suck it up and pay a broker's fee?
Just come here for three days and do the craigslist / drive around method. University housing also has a website with listings that you can check out. I wound up renting a small older house that we found on CL -- which perfectly illustrates my advice to NOT rent sight unseen, under any circumstances. So many of the places that looked nice on CL where filthy pits, and the house we got looked so lousy in the picture that we almost didn't even bother to call about it (turns out it was the nicest and the most reasonably price one we looked at the whole time). Many of the big complexes and University owned units may not allow pets, but other than that AA is a ridicuslously dog happy town.
seconded. i got myself a good selection of apartments (about 6 or 7) and scheduled viewings on the one day i knew i'd be able to get to ann arbor. seriously, all but 1 were positively atrocious, to the point where i nearly teared up at the thought that i'd have to choose between dorm life and a disgustingly run-down and disheveled apartment in an old, creepy house. i got lucky with a great apt at an amazing price at the very last place i viewed. definitely go visit. also, as i've said on here before, check the michigan off-campus housing website as well as craigslist. very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

becca87

New

Post by becca87 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:26 pm

I'm in O43!

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Tue May 12, 2009 11:27 pm

I was assigned a double suit in the LC aka I am no longer interested in living there! Been looking for apts near the law quad. Any current students have input on good/bad realty companies to not rent/rent from?

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Wed May 13, 2009 6:41 am

tingles wrote:I was assigned a double suit in the LC aka I am no longer interested in living there! Been looking for apts near the law quad. Any current students have input on good/bad realty companies to not rent/rent from?
Eh, it's really not that bad. As a 1L, you don't spend THAT much time in your room anyway. Is there any reason in particular that you are against it?

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Wed May 13, 2009 9:10 am

tl wrote:
tingles wrote:I was assigned a double suit in the LC aka I am no longer interested in living there! Been looking for apts near the law quad. Any current students have input on good/bad realty companies to not rent/rent from?
Eh, it's really not that bad. As a 1L, you don't spend THAT much time in your room anyway. Is there any reason in particular that you are against it?
I haven't lived in a dorm for 3 yrs. I was already kinda against doing so - cafeteria food (I really like to cook/bake my own stuff), shower caddys and no private bathroom. Getting assigned a double suite was just a final reason to not be keen on going to the LC. I also don't think I'm the type of person that always wants to keep my door open and have people walking in and out of room... so apt it is! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EdmundDantes

New

Post by EdmundDantes » Wed May 13, 2009 3:52 pm

Anyone know what percentage of people at Michigan who did the early interview program got job offers this year?

Maecenas

New

Post by Maecenas » Wed May 13, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm in F34. Does anybody know if that faces into the Quad or does it face out on South U.

Sorry for adding to the specific personal room questions.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Wed May 13, 2009 4:46 pm

You can call the LC and ask, I'm sure. They were super helpful in describing my room and its location to me over the phone.

Maecenas

New

Post by Maecenas » Wed May 13, 2009 4:52 pm

just a girl wrote:You can call the LC and ask, I'm sure. They were super helpful in describing my room and its location to me over the phone.

Okay, thanks, i'll probably do that. I'm just curious to know if I got lucky and will be facing in at the beauty of the Quad.

Also, on the lease it says you can't bring your own couches or mattresses because they are potential fire hazards. I'm assuming people have brought couches/loveseats and their own beds before and it hasn't been a problem, right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed May 13, 2009 4:54 pm

Maecenas wrote:
just a girl wrote:You can call the LC and ask, I'm sure. They were super helpful in describing my room and its location to me over the phone.

Okay, thanks, i'll probably do that. I'm just curious to know if I got lucky and will be facing in at the beauty of the Quad.

Also, on the lease it says you can't bring your own couches or mattresses because they are potential fire hazards. I'm assuming people have brought couches/loveseats and their own beds before and it hasn't been a problem, right?

I'll defer to a LC person but I dunno about that.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Wed May 13, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm not planning on bringing any of those things, as I don't think the rooms are big enough to hold an extra mattress (plus a bigger bed frame, etc) or a couch.

I would say it's better not to risk it; I was an RA for 3 years and we definitely fined people who brought in items that were expressly prohibited.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Wed May 13, 2009 4:55 pm

all you lc ppl are making me a tad jealous not to be living there this fall. :?

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Wed May 13, 2009 5:05 pm

summertimechi wrote:all you lc ppl are making me a tad jealous not to be living there this fall. :?
but at least you won't have to carry one of these to your shower every day

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Wed May 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Ugh. I always use a little plastic crate so my stuff drains.
Does it make me weird that I don't really mind it? 4 years of dorm living will jade you...

mightydinosaur

New

Post by mightydinosaur » Wed May 13, 2009 5:31 pm

summertimechi wrote:all you lc ppl are making me a tad jealous not to be living there this fall. :?
Heh, I'm not jealous! There are good things about the LC for sure, but I knew from the start that I couldn't do dorms and especially cafeteria food at this point in my life.

I am jealous of people who know where they're living, though! I looked at Woodbury and liked it pretty well, but I'm hoping I can find something a little cheaper or closer. We'll see!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Wed May 13, 2009 5:37 pm

just a girl wrote:Ugh. I always use a little plastic crate so my stuff drains.
Does it make me weird that I don't really mind it? 4 years of dorm living will jade you...
I only had one year of dorm living, but I'm actually really excited to be living in the dorm style again for a year, even if that means communal bathrooms. Maybe it's the social part of me that likes living with a lot of other people, but I'm perfectly okay with it.

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Wed May 13, 2009 5:47 pm

What's the typical rent for places near the law quad? I've been looking for studios/1bdrms and seem to be seeing them priced between 600-900. Does that sound right? Also, anyone have input on which streets are ones to avoid - aka party streets/lots of undergrads/not safe?

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”