Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mightydinosaur

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by mightydinosaur » Tue May 19, 2009 2:50 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Fun stuff in SF? Like Bay to Breakers? I'm still reeling from that hang-over, and I anticipate it may actually be tomorrow before I'm finally feeling better. Hottdamn was it ever fun though.
Yes! My friends and I went as Bay to Bakers, complete with wine bottles hidden in hollowed out bread (in case the police actually enforced the rules this year, which it turns out they did not). So awesome! I was a little wrecked yesterday afternoon, but I am okay today. Hope you buck up again soon.

I wonder if we could start a similar tradition in AA. Granted there is no Bay and no Breakers, but maybe I can at least wear my chef hat and lurch around the law quad some morning. :D

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue May 19, 2009 7:40 am

tl wrote:1Ls, check your grades. 3 of 4 of mine are up already. I figured that Contracts would be the last.
You must be one of those "alphabetically advantaged" people who always winds up on the top of the stack. Thanks for making my day that much longer.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Tue May 19, 2009 10:37 am

MLaw11 wrote: Thanks for the heads up. On the other hand, it's kinda worse to have some than none; the last class or two is agonizing.
I don't mind waiting for the last one. Civ Pro is the one I REALLY wanted. I thought I bombed it (didn't even finish one question), and I just knew that I was going to get C+ or worse. So relieved. I think we'll be waiting for Contracts for awhile.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:37 am

I hate you filthy wolverine access enablers.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue May 19, 2009 11:49 am

mightydinosaur wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:Fun stuff in SF? Like Bay to Breakers? I'm still reeling from that hang-over, and I anticipate it may actually be tomorrow before I'm finally feeling better. Hottdamn was it ever fun though.
Yes! My friends and I went as Bay to Bakers, complete with wine bottles hidden in hollowed out bread (in case the police actually enforced the rules this year, which it turns out they did not). So awesome! I was a little wrecked yesterday afternoon, but I am okay today. Hope you buck up again soon.

I wonder if we could start a similar tradition in AA. Granted there is no Bay and no Breakers, but maybe I can at least wear my chef hat and lurch around the law quad some morning. :D
That would be a blast to get all the Bay Area kids to do something of the sort. My only hope is that we'll be done with finals next year in time to get back for this weekend, since I'm probably going to try to place into SF anyway.

But yes, bring the chef hat and we'll figure out a time when we can reenact this weekend during the course of next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mightydinosaur

New

Post by mightydinosaur » Tue May 19, 2009 12:05 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
mightydinosaur wrote:

That would be a blast to get all the Bay Area kids to do something of the sort. My only hope is that we'll be done with finals next year in time to get back for this weekend, since I'm probably going to try to place into SF anyway.

But yes, bring the chef hat and we'll figure out a time when we can reenact this weekend during the course of next year.
Dude, you know the chef hat is coming.

I may be back in SF by this time next year, too, if I can pull it off--my boyfriend is staying here, so assuming we get through my 1L alright, I'm going to try to get a summer job out here. We'll see. But I'm all for a reenactment sometime during the school year.

stargazer

New

Post by stargazer » Tue May 19, 2009 2:05 pm

tl wrote: I don't mind waiting for the last one. Civ Pro is the one I REALLY wanted. I thought I bombed it (didn't even finish one question), and I just knew that I was going to get C+ or worse. So relieved. I think we'll be waiting for Contracts for awhile.
i seriously had 15 minutes to answer the last question on the civ pro exam. i really want my contracts grade. i don't know anyone who thought it was really hard..i'm scared..could be a tight curve.

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Tue May 19, 2009 2:15 pm

Sorry if there's been a lot of discussion on this - but will it really be that unfortuante for me if I don't live in the lawyer's club my first year? I'm really not into the whole dorm thing, but I have some alum that are telling me I should definitely live in the LC. I consider myself pretty friendly and social, so I figure it shouldn't be that hard to meet peope during orientation and in my section.

stargazer

New

Post by stargazer » Tue May 19, 2009 2:19 pm

if you're social, you'll be fine. :D go to bar nights, go to bday parties, join clubs, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Tue May 19, 2009 3:17 pm

stargazer wrote:if you're social, you'll be fine. :D go to bar nights, go to bday parties, join clubs, etc.
I kinda agree with this, but there were A LOT of really social people who didn't really meet anybody outside of their section. If you're not going to do the LC, do MAP.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Tue May 19, 2009 3:18 pm

stargazer wrote:
tl wrote: i seriously had 15 minutes to answer the last question on the civ pro exam. i really want my contracts grade. i don't know anyone who thought it was really hard..i'm scared..could be a tight curve.
I didn't think Contracts was tough either. It was just stupid. She should have/could have written a better exam/hypo.

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Tue May 19, 2009 3:22 pm

tl wrote:
stargazer wrote:if you're social, you'll be fine. :D go to bar nights, go to bday parties, join clubs, etc.
I kinda agree with this, but there were A LOT of really social people who didn't really meet anybody outside of their section. If you're not going to do the LC, do MAP.
I believe MAP is full. Or, full enough that they've apparently created a waitlist for it.

mightydinosaur

New

Post by mightydinosaur » Tue May 19, 2009 3:59 pm

tralinds wrote:
tl wrote:
I believe MAP is full. Or, full enough that they've apparently created a waitlist for it.
Yes, MAP is full. I am on the waitlist, as are several other TLSers. Wicked lame!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Tue May 19, 2009 4:27 pm

tl wrote:
I was thinking this too - that way MAP could help me meet people outside of my section. Unfortuantely, I'm also on the waitlist!! We should create MAP II for all those waitlisted; I'm sure there are a fair amount of people!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue May 19, 2009 4:35 pm

I am completely in for that idea. With all the people in the Michigan Facebook group, I'm sure we could actually organize some sort of pre-festivities for everybody to meet while MAP is going on. The LC opens on the 21st, and orientation starts on what, the 24th? That gives a couple days to get in some quality meet and greet time. Tingles - you're on it!

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Tue May 19, 2009 5:05 pm

If none of you get off the waitlist, I'm happy to be the MAP spy and keep everyone posted on the itinerary =) I'm glad my hunch about MAP turned out to be correct - I didn't want to miss out so I actually submitted my MAP paperwork before I even submitted my deposit!

Re: Lawyers Club - Every now and then I get a little twinge of jealousy towards those that will be living in the LC - because of the proximity to the quad and the social aspect. I feel like those in the LC will naturally get to know each other faster, but that doesn't mean the rest of us have to be left out.

My room in the townhouse we're renting is going to be on the small side, but I'm still happy to have a queen size bed, kitchen with my own food, living room, family room, basement, patio, pool, gym, and a non-community bathroom - for considerably less than what I'd be paying for the LC.

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Tue May 19, 2009 5:09 pm

tingles wrote:
tl wrote:
I was thinking this too - that way MAP could help me meet people outside of my section. Unfortuantely, I'm also on the waitlist!! We should create MAP II for all those waitlisted; I'm sure there are a fair amount of people!
YES, we should do it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue May 19, 2009 5:12 pm

itzjulz wrote:If none of you get off the waitlist, I'm happy to be the MAP spy and keep everyone posted on the itinerary =) I'm glad my hunch about MAP turned out to be correct - I didn't want to miss out so I actually submitted my MAP paperwork before I even submitted my deposit!
I still can't fathom the concept of a "waitlist" for this. There is no excuse for not making sure this is open to anyone who wants it. Michigan, you are so better than this.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Tue May 19, 2009 5:57 pm

It's mainly because MAP has a limited budget and resources (read: people).

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Tue May 19, 2009 6:02 pm

The course schedule has been posted in wolverine access for summer starters, you can figure out your section by what legal practice professor you have.

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Tue May 19, 2009 6:32 pm

itzjulz wrote:If none of you get off the waitlist, I'm happy to be the MAP spy and keep everyone posted on the itinerary =) I'm glad my hunch about MAP turned out to be correct - I didn't want to miss out so I actually submitted my MAP paperwork before I even submitted my deposit!

Re: Lawyers Club - Every now and then I get a little twinge of jealousy towards those that will be living in the LC - because of the proximity to the quad and the social aspect. I feel like those in the LC will naturally get to know each other faster, but that doesn't mean the rest of us have to be left out.

My room in the townhouse we're renting is going to be on the small side, but I'm still happy to have a queen size bed, kitchen with my own food, living room, family room, basement, patio, pool, gym, and a non-community bathroom - for considerably less than what I'd be paying for the LC.
+1
I def feel you. Even tho I also wish that I could be closer, I will def love not sharing a community bathroom and having a pool. I also submitted my MAP stuff before I submitted a deposit for the same reason.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mightydinosaur

New

Post by mightydinosaur » Tue May 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Big yes to MAP II. I'll be in AA anyway and I am in the market for some friends who don't live on the coasts!

Go Bears

New

Post by Go Bears » Tue May 19, 2009 9:46 pm

Last edited by Go Bears on Fri May 20, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue May 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Go Bears wrote:Looks like only the Legal Skills class, which is only an hour a week, hasn't been accounted for yet.
I'm still not sure I understand the point of that "class." To start with, it's just another random hour that they tack on to Legal Practice, and there is nothing about the first term that distinguishes any "skills" part of the class from anything else that you do. It's listed under the same teacher and has no separate meeting time. And the instructors just teach the class as a whole, "skills," research, writing, whatever. The big things first term are just two office memos, and everything revolves around learning what you need to write those. The other dumb thing is that because of this tacked on skills credit, LP is 3 credits first semester and 2 credits second semester -- despite that the second semester is almost exactly 50% more work than the first. In the end, it seems like the work is more or less proportional to the total credits for the year, and logically they couldn't stack the work up the other way around. But looking at the schedule you might assume that LP gets "lighter" second term, when you have to pick up the elective on top of your regular schedule. In fact the opposite happens.

Go Bears

New

Post by Go Bears » Tue May 19, 2009 10:32 pm

Last edited by Go Bears on Fri May 20, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”