Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:10 am

awesomepossum wrote:do it. it's awesome.

the school stuff you learn...is pretty useless. The cultural stuff......funny but useless.

The great part is you meet a bunch of students in DIFFERENT SECTIONS before law school starts. It's an awesome thing to be in law school with no work.

Many of my closest friends right now are people I met in MAP who I might not have met otherwise.

Basically you shore up your liver and have a good time for a week on the law school's dime.
I'm trying to find some information on this, but can't seem to find anything about it on the website. I'm probably looking int he wrong spot, but Michigan Access Program - what's the scoop? Any links? Thanks guys!

MLaw11

New

Post by MLaw11 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:17 am

jdn012 wrote:I was wondering if anybody knew whether Michigan negotiates $$. I didn't receive anything from them but just got a decent offer from UVA. I would like to seriously consider Michigan but without any merit I just don't know if it's possible. Any suggestions?
Not only do they, but it seems like they always respond to (note I didn't say match) UVA offers.

dem

Post by dem » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:19 am

I'm trying to find some information on this, but can't seem to find anything about it on the website. I'm probably looking int he wrong spot, but Michigan Access Program - what's the scoop? Any links? Thanks guys!
Dean Zearfoss will send you the email containing information when necessary. If you really want to attend, I'd advise RSVP'ing as soon as you get it.

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:23 am

MLaw11 wrote:
jdn012 wrote:I was wondering if anybody knew whether Michigan negotiates $$. I didn't receive anything from them but just got a decent offer from UVA. I would like to seriously consider Michigan but without any merit I just don't know if it's possible. Any suggestions?
Not only do they, but it seems like they always respond to (note I didn't say match) UVA offers.
Now you've got me interested to see what they will do. I guess i'll just try and see. The worst that could happen is I end up where I'm at right now...
Last edited by jdn012 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tacitus

New

Post by Tacitus » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:23 am

dem wrote:After reading about the March ASW, I am really intrigued by the rude question and the great response thing to which everyone refers. Is anyone willing to share with us what was asked and was was said? I doubt the April ASW's Q&A will be as controversial. Plus it'd be nice to hear what the dean had to say.
The question was basically "how do you explain UMich's consistent decline in the rankings?"

The main gist of Dean Caminker's cavalcade of criticisms toward the USNWR rankings is that they're not indicative of the quality of the schools. He went to bat for Harvard, saying that it was ridiculous to think that they're only 92% as good as Yale (The "scores" on USNWR are 100 for Yale and 92 for Harvard). He also went to bat for Boalt saying that nothing significant happened to put Boalt down into the low teens and then back up to 6, that they're the same, high-quality school.

He also pointed out that 10% of the USNWR score is dollars spent/student, and not even dollars spent toward improving education for students (the infamous "doilies" remark )--also not indicative of overall school quality. This explained the small private school bias inherent in the USNWR very effectively (more money spent/fewer students). The jab toward NU was well-deserved, saying that dramatically overhauling your school's program to milk the rankings shows that you're either:

1) In desperate need of improvement
or
2) Going way out of your depth, and compromising the quality of your education, to go up a few spots in some magazine's rankings

Basically he, and everyone else during the weekend, was saying that if a school is t10, they're not going to do you wrong, and that you should choose a school based on your own personal fit. During the academia/clerkship panel, the faculty advisor even flat out said go to Harvard or Yale if you want to clerk/go into academia and that's what's most important to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MLaw11

New

Post by MLaw11 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:26 am

jdn012 wrote:
MLaw11 wrote:
Now you've got me interested to see what they will do. I guess i'll just try and see. The worst that could happen is I end up where I'm at right now...
Here ya go...thread developing and I've got a more detailed post in there.

Link

dem

Post by dem » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:28 am

Michigan admins hold no delusions about their prowess in the legal world. Faculty members will readily tell you that academia is best pursued out of HYSC, even if Michigan does manage to hold its own in academic placement.

Firm-wise, it's really a wash. If you attend Michigan, your performance is not likely to be such that if you wouldn't have gotten a nice job out of there, you would've gotten it out of CLS with the same grades. I really emphasize choosing any top 10 school that will allow you to attend with the least amount of debt.

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:30 am

MLaw11 wrote:
jdn012 wrote:
MLaw11 wrote:
Here ya go...thread developing and I've got a more detailed post in there.

Link
Thanks a lot MLaw11! I'll just wait and see what happens. Maybe catch you at ASW next week?

MLaw11

New

Post by MLaw11 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:35 am

jdn012 wrote: Thanks a lot MLaw11! I'll just wait and see what happens. Maybe catch you at ASW next week?
Heh...perhaps. More likely I'll leave that to the more gregarious members of our student body, but you never know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:46 pm

tl wrote:I'm an orientation leader too! I only applied yesterday. That was quick.
OK, then I have your identity narrowed down to one of about thirty people. :)

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Has anyone found out about their financial aid package with loans for the summer? Does it count as two different academic years or one full year?
I'm mostly wondering about the federal loans and whether or not they will max out at $20,500 for all three semesters. I was hoping that it would count separately because I don't want to take out Gradplus loans.

dem

Post by dem » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:34 pm

I wanted to be an orientation leader.

I began to fill out the application. It was asking easy and semi-difficult questions like name, age, gender, address, etc. Then they had these paragraph prompts. Fuck that!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:38 pm

Just wanted to add re: dean's remarks that I also think a part of these spurious fluctuations stems from the fact that USNWR has vested interest in seeing rankings shift here and there. Rankings generate more interest when schools move up and down as opposed to when they're perfectly static from one year to the next. Just my two cents.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:42 pm

just a girl wrote:Has anyone found out about their financial aid package with loans for the summer? Does it count as two different academic years or one full year?
I'm mostly wondering about the federal loans and whether or not they will max out at $20,500 for all three semesters. I was hoping that it would count separately because I don't want to take out Gradplus loans.
I think it is $20,500 total (for Stafford) for a school year, but summer semester counts as part of this school year, not next.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Oh, great! So that would mean that I could qualify for 10,250 for summer and then 20,500 for the next year?

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:45 pm

just a girl wrote:Oh, great! So that would mean that I could qualify for 10,250 for summer and then 20,500 for the next year?
I wish, I received fin aid package with loans, and they split the 20,500 for stafford into three semesters. So it sucks. Lookin at my package, its 6,150 for the summer and 7,175 for the fall and spring semesters respectively.

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Can anyone explain more on the MAP for summer starters such as myself. I'd really like to take part as it seems interesting. Does this take place before orientation the same as with the fall starters, or is it during the semester. The email i received did not have a start date, only that an informational meeting will take place on June 1st. Has anyone from past years taken part in the MAP for summer starters? Thanks for any info.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:25 pm

MAP for summer starters is separate from regular MAP and occurs right before your summer sem starts.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:32 pm

For Stafford loans, do you have to take it all? Like, if I don't want to use it for the summer could I then take the maximum for living expenses in the fall-winter semesters? Or if you are given a set amount for the summer you have to take it?

I didn't know we Summer Starters got to do MAP. That's really cool.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Oh, sorry, I guess I got it wrong. :( Not a summer starter.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm

awesomep... are you sure they have a thing before school starts? I thought theirs was more like meetings during the semester, not a big program like ours.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Alexandria wrote:awesomep... are you sure they have a thing before school starts? I thought theirs was more like meetings during the semester, not a big program like ours.

oh...you could be completely right. In fact you're likely to be completely right now that I think about it.

Lindsey_saurus

New

Post by Lindsey_saurus » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:52 pm

If MAP for summer starters is just meetings during the semester (which it seems like it is as the informational meeting is after we start classes), is it still worth doing?

TrojanBadger

New

Post by TrojanBadger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:00 pm

From the email I got from MAP 2 days ago:

MAP will begin with a summer “pre-orientation” program. The pre-orientation will begin with dinner on Tuesday, August 18, and end on Friday, August 21. The required first-year orientation begins on August 24, 2009, so participation in the MAP summer program will bring you to school about a week early.

Can someone (awesomepossum, you seem to like it a lot) expand upon what goes on at MAP? Particularly about this (also from the email):

In the past, similar programming at the Law School has focused largely on students of color, a historically underrepresented group within the Law School community. The new, expanded focus of the program includes any entering student who believes he or she might fit the program’s objectives.

What are these "objectives?" It seems obvious--creating connections at Mich, mentors, etc--is there a catch?

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:34 pm

dem wrote: I will be a MAP leader next year. I look forward to helping out, young grasshoppers.
They already picked people? I wanted to do it, but I was waiting for some info from Dean Gregory or Trudy. Guess I'll just e-mail them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”