Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Alexandria

Silver

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by Alexandria » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:01 pm

Haha!

It might be nerdy, but I love registration time.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:54 am

Do any of you remember when you finally got your section/schedules before 1L started? I know it's going to be late summer, but I'm already anxious to find out what profs I'll have in fall :) I'd like a schedule, and football tickets - and then I'll be set :D

Yesterday I got the confirmation letter from Dean Z that they received my seat deposit. I love that she crossed out the "Dear Ms. X" part of the form letter and handwrote my first name instead. Cute :)

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:28 am

It was right before Orientation... during MAP... so, the week before. At least for those of us who are currently 2Ls.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:59 pm

awesomepossum wrote:PK, possum and Alexandria in one class.

woah......
Hey, so, I got the official email. I'm in that class.

It is weird that I'm on the waitlist for the prof pick seminar where he sent me an email in response to my statement saying, "Looking forward to working with you in the fall." But whatever... I wasn't THAT into it anyway. (Plus, I'm #1 on the waitlist, so the opportunity will probably arise to take it.) I might just take Accounting for Lawyers pass/fail.

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:02 pm

This may have been discussed ad nauseam, but here goes. Where are nice, inexpensive places to live within a couple of blocks of the law school? Benefits of Lawyer's Club? It seems more expensive than living off campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:07 pm

quick question. how much is the seat deposit again? i dont have the forms with me. thanks

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:34 pm

tcortez wrote:quick question. how much is the seat deposit again? i dont have the forms with me. thanks
$300. Just mailed mine today. :)

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:36 pm

summertimechi wrote:
tcortez wrote:quick question. how much is the seat deposit again? i dont have the forms with me. thanks
I gotta mail mine soon too. Uh, I wish USCIS would let me know what's up with my permanent residence app so that I can be confident I won't have to defer or anything...I hate my situation.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:37 pm

Alexandria wrote:

woah......

It is weird that I'm on the waitlist for the prof pick seminar where he sent me an email in response to my statement saying, "Looking forward to working with you in the fall." But whatever... I wasn't THAT into it anyway. (Plus, I'm #1 on the waitlist, so the opportunity will probably arise to take it.) I might just take Accounting for Lawyers pass/fail.

I'm officially in ADR. I applied for the federal investigations and prosecutions seminar but I guess people applied like crazy. It's a new seminar. Suffice to say I didn't get it since I wasn't about to burn both priorities in one semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:48 pm

dresden doll wrote:
summertimechi wrote:
I gotta mail mine soon too. Uh, I wish USCIS would let me know what's up with my permanent residence app so that I can be confident I won't have to defer or anything...I hate my situation.
sowwy hun. tell them to hurry up or i'll beat 'em up. i'm small but i'm feisty! :twisted:

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:48 pm

summertimechi wrote:
Gracias. I'm almost ready to send mine in. Just gotta do a little more soul searching. 8)

Jeff Mangum

New

Post by Jeff Mangum » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:57 pm

Question to 1L+'s: The Legal Practice Skills and Legal Practice I are each being taught in small sections by Philip Frost, Rachel Croskery-Roberts, and Thomas Seymour. Any of you have advice about whose section I should go with/avoid? Do I even have a choice? The wolverine access system seems to be allowing me to add classes from my "backpack".

thefinalcut

New

Post by thefinalcut » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:59 pm

dresden doll wrote:
summertimechi wrote:
I am in a similar situation. I actually need to withdraw the permanent residence app and get my F1. Life sometimes sucks :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:00 pm

summertimechi wrote: sowwy hun. tell them to hurry up or i'll beat 'em up. i'm small but i'm feisty! :twisted:
<3.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:01 pm

thefinalcut wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
summertimechi wrote:
I am in a similar situation. I actually need to withdraw the permanent residence app and get my F1. Life sometimes sucks :(
Why? Can't you have permanent app pending while being on the F1 visa? I don't think you need to withdraw your permanent app, but I could be wrong.

thefinalcut

New

Post by thefinalcut » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:27 pm

I am in a similar situation. I actually need to withdraw the permanent residence app and get my F1. Life sometimes sucks :([/quote]

Why? Can't you have permanent app pending while being on the F1 visa? I don't think you need to withdraw your permanent app, but I could be wrong.[/quote]

Not to derail the thread, having a permanent residency app pending while applying for a F1 is risky. It is dual intent. F1 is a non-immigrant visa. I don't even know if they will issue a F1 if they see that I intended to immigrate. It is a cluster f**k.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:00 pm

Jeff Mangum wrote:Question to 1L+'s: The Legal Practice Skills and Legal Practice I are each being taught in small sections by Philip Frost, Rachel Croskery-Roberts, and Thomas Seymour. Any of you have advice about whose section I should go with/avoid? Do I even have a choice? The wolverine access system seems to be allowing me to add classes from my "backpack".
No, you don't have a choice. You'll be assigned to a section. You'll find out which one shortly before Orientation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:09 pm

thefinalcut wrote: Not to derail the thread, having a permanent residency app pending while applying for a F1 is risky. It is dual intent. F1 is a non-immigrant visa. I don't even know if they will issue a F1 if they see that I intended to immigrate. It is a cluster f**k.
Oh, I gotcha. FWIW, I've known of people who have gone to LS with their permanent app pending. Law schools don't tend to mind that. You should definitely talk to Michigan before you abandon your permanent app. Having to restart the process down the road would be such a damn pain in the ass, not to mention the possibility of immigration laws changing for the worse.

Jeff Mangum

New

Post by Jeff Mangum » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:10 pm

I suspected as much, but thanks for the reply, Alexandria.

ElmGrant

New

Post by ElmGrant » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:50 pm

summertimechi wrote:
Same here. I put it in the mailbox on Wednesday but later removed it.

I let the mailman have it today. Feels good to have the decision over with.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:58 pm

Okay, so I'll be sending off my deposit this weekend (once my parents bring the forms and a check), so now it's time to figure out housing for next year.

I'm thinking of doing the MAP program, and I was looking into maybe getting a place at Woodbury (per the recommendation of awesomepossum) but I'd probably opt to have a roommate, since then housing will be a really minor expense overall. So, if anyone is interested, either let me know or PM me, and we can figure out if splitting a place would work out. Note: I'd probably opt for the places that had 1 1/2 bathrooms and a washer/dryer, if they're available.

Also, it doesn't HAVE to be Woodbury, it just happened to be one of the closest/nicest options I've found so far.

Let me know!

Also, how did you all send the payment? Do they include who to make a check out to on the forms or whatever?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tacosfordinner

New

Post by tacosfordinner » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:03 pm

ElmGrant wrote:
summertimechi wrote:

Sent mine this week.

Why did you remove it??

ElmGrant

New

Post by ElmGrant » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:14 pm

tacosfordinner wrote:
ElmGrant wrote:
summertimechi wrote:

Sent mine this week.

Why did you remove it??
Wanted to think about it some more. I had a tough time turning down NYU. Ultimately, Michigan just makes more sense for me.

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:37 pm

$300. Just mailed mine today. :)[/quote]

I let the mailman have it today. Feels good to have the decision over with.[/quote]

Sent mine this week.

Why did you remove it??[/quote]

Wanted to think about it some more. I had a tough time turning down NYU. Ultimately, Michigan just makes more sense for me.[/quote]

Thats my dilemma. I'm still trying to decide between Penn and Mich. Its hard to give up Philly, which i loved. I also liked both schools and my gut isn't helping.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:23 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
Alexandria wrote:

woah......

I'm officially in ADR. I applied for the federal investigations and prosecutions seminar but I guess people applied like crazy. It's a new seminar. Suffice to say I didn't get it since I wasn't about to burn both priorities in one semester.
Me three. I'm stoked. That class is stacked with a) TLSers and b) cool people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”