Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
awesomepossum

Silver

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 pm

Anhimal wrote:How's OCI going for you folks?

I'm pretty happy.

mr.undroppable

New

Post by mr.undroppable » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:39 pm

Merriweather wrote:
mr.undroppable wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
Anhimal wrote:How's OCI going for you folks?
worse than all but the worst alarmists predicted
Completely depends on your grades (not to put any pressure on the 1Ls).
top quarter, 1 callback.
I don't want to kick a man while he's down, but you must have done something wrong.

What firms/markets did you pick? What did you talk about in your interviews? What did you wear?

Also, depending on the market, the firms might just be waiting to give callbacks still. Don't get down yet.

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:26 pm

mr.undroppable wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
top quarter, 1 callback.
I don't want to kick a man while he's down, but you must have done something wrong.

What firms/markets did you pick? What did you talk about in your interviews? What did you wear?

Also, depending on the market, the firms might just be waiting to give callbacks still. Don't get down yet.
i know top 15%+ (3.6+) with 3 callbacks. i know others around 3.5 like me with 1 callback. it's not just me dude.

chi/nyc. bidding kind of hosed me, but i picked up more safety firms.

what did i wear? i wore a fucking suit, what do you think?

jfc

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 pm

aaaaaaand maybe this thread can revert to its happy self if we stop talking about callbacks.

chikalicious

New

Post by chikalicious » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:10 am

What IS the deal with hokey people in camping gear hollering and laughing around their RV's on Tappan St.? Am I gonna have to deal with this every morning at 6:30am? There are like 6-8 RVs parked on this street. Who are these people and when will they go away? Please help!
:shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:21 am

I think a movie is being filmed in Ann Arbor right now. Don't worry...it's neither normal nor permanent.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:39 am

Does anyone know how many showed up for orientation, i.e. how overenrolled the class was?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:24 am

starstruck393 wrote:Does anyone know how many showed up for orientation, i.e. how overenrolled the class was?
No one would know that yet. There's still an opportunity for people to check in this morning, if they missed their section's check-in session.

nicoz

New

Post by nicoz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:27 am

Merriweather wrote:
mr.undroppable wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
top quarter, 1 callback.

i know top 15%+ (3.6+) with 3 callbacks. i know others around 3.5 like me with 1 callback. it's not just me dude.

jfc
Good thing you wore that suit! Seriously though, good luck. You def earned it with those grades.

So.. other than AP, no one is gonna get jobs next summer??? I'm guessing that if the top of the class isn't getting callbacks those around the median are effed???

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:47 am

Ulfrekr wrote:
tl wrote:I really like the 1Ls. Everyone just seems so laid-back and chill. This is going to be a cool class.
Yeah, because that's gonna last :roll:

:wink:
True. But people are feeling my carefree approach to law school, lol. I think it's going to catch on even ITE.

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 am

Merriweather wrote:
mr.undroppable wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
top quarter, 1 callback.

jfc
Did you get rejections from all your other firms, or have you just not heard back yet? 2 weekdays after the end of OCI is way too early to be freaking out about not getting callbacks.

waahrus

New

Post by waahrus » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:57 am

frankly i think there should be more discussion about CBs. it helps other students to know what firms have given them so they have a general idea of where they stand. i am not an impatient person, i just want to know. and i don't think the xoxo list is comprehensive.

doing okay here with 4 callbacks but i think i may top out at 6. non-NY. this is out of a larger number of OCI interviews than most folks. i think if you have 1 or 2 at this point, now is the time to look at applying for govt positions just in case. DOJ SLIP apps are due sept 8.

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:29 am

feelfree to PM callback info for the master list. only one outright ding but many interviews with firms that have called back. there are lots with 0 and lots with 1 out there

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:56 pm

Why did Michigan overenroll this year? Unless the school plans to spend the extra tuition money on figuring out ways to invent more than enough job openings to accommodate the additional students, this seems extremely irresponsible.
awesomepossum wrote:I think it's worth it. If you majored in engineering.....OCI and callbacks and all of that can still be endurable.
Corrected.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:10 pm

Son of Cicero wrote:Why did Michigan overenroll this year? Unless the school plans to spend the extra tuition money on figuring out ways to invent more than enough job openings to accommodate the additional students, this seems extremely irresponsible.
awesomepossum wrote:I think it's worth it. If you majored in engineering.....OCI and callbacks and all of that can still be endurable.
Corrected.
Although I originally was irritated by the overenrollment, the more I think about it my deferred acceptance is the best thing for me I think. That being said, I'm not really sure how it was the school's fault that it was an odd year and they ended up overenrolled. What could they have done to prevent it?

chikalicious

New

Post by chikalicious » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:02 pm

Have to say I really enjoyed orientation today. My section mates are laid back and genuinely interesting people. I think I figured out one TLSer...heheh.

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:38 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Son of Cicero wrote:Why did Michigan overenroll this year? Unless the school plans to spend the extra tuition money on figuring out ways to invent more than enough job openings to accommodate the additional students, this seems extremely irresponsible.
Corrected.
Although I originally was irritated by the overenrollment, the more I think about it my deferred acceptance is the best thing for me I think. That being said, I'm not really sure how it was the school's fault that it was an odd year and they ended up overenrolled. What could they have done to prevent it?
If they really cared about putting a cap on admissions, they could have waitlisted more students, imposed stricter commitment deadlines for admitted students (either to accept scholarships for more desirable students, or just to accept the offer of admission for the others), then waited for these deadlines to expire before admitting new students (or before letting anyone off the waitlist). Other schools do these sorts of things (e.g, Boalt had a June 1 commitment deadline when I applied, and the next day was the deadline to accept scholarships at UChicago). Not sure if Mich already does as well, but even if so, it could have tightened up the process to limit the number of admits.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Hey, I think this must be the movie that all those RVs near the quad are working on:

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/20 ... h-williams

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:34 am

Service day wakeup in 4 hours!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:21 am

Son of Cicero wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Corrected.
If they really cared about putting a cap on admissions, they could have waitlisted more students, imposed stricter commitment deadlines for admitted students (either to accept scholarships for more desirable students, or just to accept the offer of admission for the others), then waited for these deadlines to expire before admitting new students (or before letting anyone off the waitlist). Other schools do these sorts of things (e.g, Boalt had a June 1 commitment deadline when I applied, and the next day was the deadline to accept scholarships at UChicago). Not sure if Mich already does as well, but even if so, it could have tightened up the process to limit the number of admits.
I suppose. At any rate, I think they'll make adjustments for next year, which is why I'm glad I'm already in. (I wonder if they'll be shooting for less than 360 to try and balance things out, or still the 360 number...) Without hindsight, though, I'm not sure they had any reason to thing they should have acted so drastically different. This year seems to have been unlike any other they've seen..

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:21 am

USC2009 wrote:Service day wakeup in 4 hours!
Hope it doesn't rain on you guys like it did for us. Made for a not so fun day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:02 pm

I didn't mind the rain so much, I minded the fact that it took all day and we had class (with reading!) the next morning. I'm kind of jealous of fall start's orientation schedule; it seems much less frenetic than ours was.

Anhimal

New

Post by Anhimal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:26 pm

We are all outed in real life... lol

Maecenas

New

Post by Maecenas » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:02 pm

i have a question about the casebooks. i mistakenly bought an 8th edition of my contracts casebook (dawson) instead of the assigned 9th edition (i got it cheap from an older student). how big of a difference is there actually going to be? will it match up basically the same with a few new things added at the end or will there be significant differences throughout (different ordering of cases, different write ups and explanations etc)? thanks for the insight.

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:06 pm

No one really discussed lawopen during our orientation (transfer), but I got an email today saying that I am subscribed and got the flood of emails. What is the website for lawopen and what would my username and password be (is it my uniqname and password?)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”