Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
neverborn

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by neverborn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:52 pm

you have to live in phid house.

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:56 pm

Classes for Summer Starters posted, Torts and Civ Pro. One step closer! Does anyone know about renter's insurance, is it needed for Ann Arbor? Anyone know how much that would cost for a year? Do any current students have it?

neverborn

New

Post by neverborn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:36 pm

vidhartha wrote:Classes for Summer Starters posted, Torts and Civ Pro. One step closer! Does anyone know about renter's insurance, is it needed for Ann Arbor? Anyone know how much that would cost for a year? Do any current students have it?
what profs?

it's 'needed' the same way any renter's insurance is 'needed'

i don't have it, so i can't tell you.

Vail67

New

Post by Vail67 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:46 pm

vidhartha wrote:Classes for Summer Starters posted, Torts and Civ Pro. One step closer! Does anyone know about renter's insurance, is it needed for Ann Arbor? Anyone know how much that would cost for a year? Do any current students have it?
I don't have it and don't really know anyone who has it. Or rather, never hear anyone discuss it.

MikeMohr

New

Post by MikeMohr » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:02 pm

Never: thought you meant northwood II was clean, cheap, and close, so I should pick it. Heh.

Clean and cheap sounds good to me. A commute can be a good time to think and read!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:12 pm

neverborn wrote:
what profs?

it's 'needed' the same way any renter's insurance is 'needed'

i don't have it, so i can't tell you.
Clark and Croley. Any current students have any tips for them?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Some places require renter's insurance. We have it and it's super cheap. Maybe 10 bucks a month and covers all my fancy toys or in case the mailman breaks his ass on my icy doorstep.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Hey, Michigan 2Ls:

Once a prof has turned grades into the Registrar, how long is the delay until they show up on Wolverine Access? I hear we still have a section that has no grades, and mine still only has 1/3, even though both our last profs said they turned them in yesterday and today. I imagine this is seriously screwing with people who need grades to get interviews, especially with how much tougher the going is for this summer. I thought I saw Alexandria post that she's always seen her grades posted before the formal deadline date. But they're obviously way behind that this term. I mean, this is the only really heavy work that the administration and faculty have to do every six months, so WTF? I'd think if anything they would be trying to move quicker these days, to give people any edge that they can get in the current economy.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:00 pm

I have no clue how long it takes for them to show up... I've hardly ever gotten an email from a prof saying their turned in. The one time I can recall that happening, I think we had actually already gotten the grades that day (but it was well before the deadline, so the registrar was less slammed).

I have gotten one grade after the grading deadline before, and I'm still waiting for one this time. It does seem like things are slower... especially since our break was so long you'd think it would be easier to turn in grades before the deadline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Alexandria wrote:I have no clue how long it takes for them to show up... I've hardly ever gotten an email from a prof saying their turned in. The one time I can recall that happening, I think we had actually already gotten the grades that day (but it was well before the deadline, so the registrar was less slammed).

I have gotten one grade after the grading deadline before, and I'm still waiting for one this time. It does seem like things are slower... especially since our break was so long you'd think it would be easier to turn in grades before the deadline.
Thanks for the info. So annoying.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Snot, I got an email saying the grades were turned in, and the grade was up 3 days later. I'm not sure if that helps you. :)

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:05 pm

PKSebben wrote:Snot, I got an email saying the grades were turned in, and the grade was up 3 days later. I'm not sure if that helps you. :)
It's a data point. Thanks. Lets hope it's more on that order than the "next week or so" line that was in the other email we got this week.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:17 pm

Hopefully sooner rather than later. Best part of that email:

To 1Ls: Stop calling me and stop freaking out.
CC 2Ls: Stop calling me.
BCC 3Ls: Look at those 1Ls freaking out. Free beer for 3L's in the secret cooler.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:10 am

Hmm, well, the person I believe enters grades is still working at this time of night, based on the email we just got about drop/add for late-starting classes.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:05 am

Alexandria wrote:Hmm, well, the person I believe enters grades is still working at this time of night, based on the email we just got about drop/add for late-starting classes.
This seems like it might be a major part of the problem. I am certainly grateful for that sort of dedication. But if this is the case, then why do we have only one person on this? And why is he/she stuck dealing with drop/add logistics on top of our grades? Do we not have someone else who could deal with that, or more people who could be processing grades?

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:21 pm

shamrock wrote:Does anyone know what the deal with Phid House is? Cheap and close...it seems like it's too good to be true...what's the catch?
If the living arrangements don't seem to bother you, I think you'd be fine there. There is no catch. Some people just don't like the idea of it. Everyone I know that lives there loves it. It's a self-selecting group though.

Chewie

New

Post by Chewie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:58 pm

Vail67 wrote:These apartments are making me want to go to Michigan. They are about 4 mins away from the law quad, and pretty much as close to central campus as you can get.

http://www.zaragonplace.com/index.php

Agreed. Ridiculous proximity...The guy said there's availabilty and it's perfect for grad students.
http://www.zaragonplace.com

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neverborn

New

Post by neverborn » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:07 pm

Chewie wrote:
Vail67 wrote:These apartments are making me want to go to Michigan. They are about 4 mins away from the law quad, and pretty much as close to central campus as you can get.

Agreed. Ridiculous proximity...The guy said there's availabilty and it's perfect for grad students.
if only they had 1brs.

http://www.4elevenlofts.com

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Chewie wrote:Agreed. Ridiculous proximity...The guy said there's availabilty and it's perfect for grad students.
I know it's close and all, but that rent is off the chain. What you pay to split a two-bedroom there is only $50 less than I'm giving for an entire three bedroom house less than two miles from the quad. If your parents are paying, then I guess it doesn't matter. But keep in mind that the student budget allows only $1,155 per month for rent, utilities, and food combined ($10,400 total for nine months). Most of these places are going to stick you with 12 month leases also -- so good luck subletting that place for anything remotely close to $1,250/mo while you're away for your summer gig.

Chewie

New

Post by Chewie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:19 pm

neverborn wrote:
Chewie wrote:

if only they had 1brs.

Yeah but that place is in another time zone. The Zaragon guy said there's a list of grad students looking for roommates....

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:33 pm

You are "the Zaragon guy."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jonniecochranjr

New

Post by jonniecochranjr » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:09 pm

I have never seen any apartments quite like Zaragon out of all schools I applied to. They are absolutely ridiculous and seems its worth the cost given the location, fully furnished, fitness center, etc.

jc

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:59 pm

Alexandria wrote:You are "the Zaragon guy."
Apparently he's "jonniecochranjr" too. Now seems like as good a time as any to ban both of these accounts.

charliec9

New

Post by charliec9 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:04 pm

PKSebben wrote:Hopefully sooner rather than later. Best part of that email:

To 1Ls: Stop calling me and stop freaking out.
CC 2Ls: Stop calling me.
BCC 3Ls: Look at those 1Ls freaking out. Free beer for 3L's in the secret cooler.
Screw calling. If my freak-out-worthy grade doesn't show up soon, I'm going to do a sit in in their lobby. I only have one class on Monday...and I can do my reading staring at the staff.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:10 pm

Chewie wrote:
neverborn wrote:
Chewie wrote:

if only they had 1brs.

Yeah but that place is in another time zone. The Zaragon guy said there's a list of grad students looking for roommates....
Your IP address confirms you a a shill.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”