Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Nietzsche

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by Nietzsche » Mon May 04, 2009 12:31 pm

Alexandria wrote:
Law school is very awesome. You should be excited. (Note, I'm exceptionally perky.)

But seriously... I have really enjoyed law school... obviously there are rough patches. But I feel like law school has given me a lot of opportunities to accomplish little goals and little successes, and I find that very fulfilling. Every big Legal Practice assignment or finishing my first finals or competing in moot court or whatever... I end up doing things that loomed so large to me beforehand and make me very proud once I've done them.

See this is the attitude I would like to find myself with when classes start. Tho I feel I will probably end up with something closer to my tar.
=)

A (somewhat) related question: considering we'll be getting out in 2012, how competitive do you think the job market will be? Will we have to be top 50% to get a stellar job? Or does pretty much everyone end up being a made man (or woman).

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Alexandria wrote:I feel like PK is a little extreme. I'm definitely not checked out... I'm ambitiously pursuing my personal goals. But I believe in picking your goals with life balance in mind (not that he doesn't), and I am definitely capable of checking out of small segments of law school... like a P/F class.
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy law school but I'm not too keen on the way law schools are run in general. Michigan does things far far far far far better than others but it still has some of the same problems that all law schools have.

I think most professors suck at Socratic, the exams are sometimes unfair and don't test what has been taught, law school isn't geared enough to actual practice under the guise of "intellectualism", a lot of people engage in exam season hysteria, the curriculum of some classes are too adaptable to professor's pet interests, and last but not least, a mandatory curve fucking blows.

I think my last point is magnified because the trajectory of a career is generally defined after your first year exams. The fact that a couple more spotted issues on inherently subjective exams can lead to wildly different careers is almost indefensible.

As a transfer student, I don't know anyone's grades. I don't know who is on law review. I'm generally impressed with everyone's intellect here. Forcing people into some artificial ordering scheme when I think everyone is quite close in ability boggles my mind.

Also, I'd punch Langdell in the cock if I had the chance.

As far as 2L sucking as much as 1L that's probably just a character flaw with me. I work myself into a frenzy. The material genuinely interests me (even in classes I thought would suck) and I spend a tremendous amount of time trying to learn the nuances and competing theories. I really have only myself to blame for not being a slacker.

To wrap up this screed I think it's important to let everyone know that law school really has been one of the best periods of my life and I don't mean to discourage anyone. Everyone certainly knows it's a lot of work and there is a lot of room to define your own workload. I enjoy going to class, I like talking about the law even when I disagree with the viewpoints, I like listening to the professors and I even enjoy listening to the thoughts of fellow classmates in class. Overall it's been a pretty super experience and hope all of you enjoy your time here.

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Mon May 04, 2009 12:59 pm

There is no way to predict how the market will be in that year. Current estimates show that this year's EIW will have 30% less hiring, and I guess it can only get better from there. However, this is assuming a steady recovery into 2012. Keep in mind that y'all will be interviewing in Fall 2010.

With respect to class rank, for any job, Michigan Law is fine. If you want a market-paying (though this term is changing as we speak) job in a major city, top half is a great place to be in, though you might want to be a little higher in this economy. The more elite and prestigious firms, of course, require an even higher rank... somewhere in the top 20%-10%. But that's the name of the game, son. You can't expect Michigan law to bag you Sullivan and Cromwell on its own reputation.

SWilson

New

Post by SWilson » Mon May 04, 2009 3:32 pm

any current students know how easy it will be to get from the lc to the grocery store or mini market without a car?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:54 pm

to get to Kroger it's a quick 10 min bus ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Mon May 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Speaking of getting to grocery stores, how necessary do you think it is to bring a car? I have a car that I am debating bringing. I know the majority of the time I won't need it but what about Grocery shopping, or shopping in general? Esp when it rains or snows. If I bring my car, I'd drive it or have it shipped over the summer. otherwise, I probably wouldn't have it the entire first year.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Mon May 04, 2009 4:12 pm

I'm doing zipcar. It's really cheap relative to the amount of driving I plan to do and the cost of keeping a car on campus.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:24 pm

tcortez wrote:Speaking of getting to grocery stores, how necessary do you think it is to bring a car? I have a car that I am debating bringing. I know the majority of the time I won't need it but what about Grocery shopping, or shopping in general? Esp when it rains or snows. If I bring my car, I'd drive it or have it shipped over the summer. otherwise, I probably wouldn't have it the entire first year.
I dig having a car for trips out of AA. It's not necessary though, you can get around AA super easy without a car. I like being able to zip out to see a Red Wings game or a concert. For things like that, though zipcar seems pretty ideal.

jxk

New

Post by jxk » Mon May 04, 2009 4:30 pm

just a girl wrote:I'm doing zipcar. It's really cheap relative to the amount of driving I plan to do and the cost of keeping a car on campus.
i love your tar! so cute!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Mon May 04, 2009 4:39 pm

You live off-campus PK, right? I'm living on-campus in the LC and parking concerns were a big determinant in my choosing not to bring a car to campus.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Yes, I live ~2 miles away. Whether I'd bring a car if I lived in the LC would probably depend on how much I drove. I'd likely pony up for a parking spot near the school because I'm a musician and like to be able to haul my gear around.

Also, I also like the neighboring towns -- some of them are pretty quaint and have cool apple festivals and farmer's markets.

I can't believe I just wrote that. When did I get so freakin old?

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Mon May 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Ok thanks. i'm going to live in Woodbury so I was just wondering. But I guess I could just use the zipcar.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:17 pm

tcortez wrote:Ok thanks. i'm going to live in Woodbury so I was just wondering. But I guess I could just use the zipcar.
Woodbury is hella close to the grocery store, a good breakfast place, and a bowling alley!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Mon May 04, 2009 6:00 pm

PKSebben wrote:
tcortez wrote:Ok thanks. i'm going to live in Woodbury so I was just wondering. But I guess I could just use the zipcar.
Woodbury is hella close to the grocery store, a good breakfast place, and a bowling alley!
fabulous. I'm all for grocery stores and good breakfast!

mightydinosaur

New

Post by mightydinosaur » Mon May 04, 2009 6:29 pm

I don't have a car, but I'm probably going to get one when I get to AA or, if I'm rather unlucky, share one with my little sister (just the thing one pictures oneself doing at age 25).

My situation is weird, though--my parents live in AA, but not anywhere close to campus, so I'll need access to a car to get out and see them. I also have family in Kalamazoo and Ypsilanti that I'd like to be able to visit. That said, it sounds like most off-campus places have parking available, and Ann Arbor is big enough and cold enough that a car seems like a good idea in plenty of cases. It's the idea of grocery shopping by bus in the winter that really sold me on the whole car thing.

scarletmuse

New

Post by scarletmuse » Mon May 04, 2009 7:03 pm

I have to put in a plug for bike commuting. Spend a few hundred bucks on a decent bike with fenders, lights and panniers and whoosh! The perfect Ann Arbor commuting machine. I even try to do my grocery shopping by bike when the weather is nice. This town is the perfect size to zip around on two wheels. And the drivers here operate at all times like they're coming out of heavy sedation and are shocked to find themselves behind the wheel, so it makes every day an adventure. :D

(That said, I'm the world's wussiest bike commuter ever. 2 inches of snow and my ass is back in the car.)

Also, I'm done with law school. (Except for that paper I'm not counting cuz it's not due until weeks after graduation). That is all.

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Mon May 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Looks like I won't be joining yall after all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Mon May 04, 2009 7:12 pm

prelaw wrote:Looks like I won't be joining yall after all.
where will you be?

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Mon May 04, 2009 7:14 pm

tcortez wrote:
where will you be?
Not sure. I'm sad. I don't know if it's the beauty of the campus or everyone's positive view of it, but I didn't want to let Michigan go. I guess this is part of maturity, as my mom said.

hdg315

New

Post by hdg315 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:55 pm

prelaw wrote:
tcortez wrote:
where will you be?
Not sure. I'm sad. I don't know if it's the beauty of the campus or everyone's positive view of it, but I didn't want to let Michigan go. I guess this is part of maturity, as my mom said.
What's the reason for not attending? You aren't sure where you going, only that it's not gonna be Michigan?

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Mon May 04, 2009 11:02 pm

hdg315 wrote:
prelaw wrote:
tcortez wrote:
where will you be?
What's the reason for not attending? You aren't sure where you going, only that it's not gonna be Michigan?
Well, I've been talking to a lot of people who say there is no reason for me to choose Mich over UT. Basically, it came down to "go big (Columbia) or go home (UT)." I think this is an extreme perspective but that's what it boiled down to. Also, when I ranked the three schools against each other and even in side by side match ups with factors (about 13) that mattered to me, Michigan continually lost. It's just the way things go.

Edit: When I really looked at it, Michigan would've been a compromise on some important points, like the environmental law program, while allegedly fulfilling my desire to leave Texas. Though it initially appeared as a midpoint between UT and Columbia, it really wasn't. AA isn't exactly a big city and the "differentness" may be understated in a small town.

Michigan is a terrific school and part of me wishes I had agreed to go, so I could agonize over it for a few more months. I really think it would've been dishonest, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tetrisd

New

Post by tetrisd » Mon May 04, 2009 11:39 pm

If you guys think finals are going to suck, just be glad you probably won't be doing them in the middle of a breakup :-/

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:51 pm

tetrisd wrote:If you guys think finals are going to suck, just be glad you probably won't be doing them in the middle of a breakup :-/
Sorry to hear, dooder. Are the 1L's done yet?

tetrisd

New

Post by tetrisd » Mon May 04, 2009 11:54 pm

PKSebben wrote:
tetrisd wrote:If you guys think finals are going to suck, just be glad you probably won't be doing them in the middle of a breakup :-/
Sorry to hear, dooder. Are the 1L's done yet?
No. I'm busy until Thursday at 5PM.

: - /

:,-/

:'-,(

:-,'(

:- (

mightydinosaur

New

Post by mightydinosaur » Tue May 05, 2009 12:08 am

Oh dear! Are you okay?

I actually did something like that at the end of undergrad, so I have some idea of what it's like. I recommend clawing through it, then drinking to non-dangerous excess. Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”