GULC '12 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
gilchristh

Bronze

Re: GULC '12

Post by gilchristh » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:29 pm

jschuyler wrote:
GreenHeels wrote:Oh, there's also the bit about constructing your own track. That's a possibility after I get some ideas next year.
Also known as a policybility, yuk yuk
I enjoy word-geek humor :wink:

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:35 pm

So, I still haven't gotten in all my immunization stuff in yet, because I went and got all the tests without realizing they needed to sign the form. So now I need to go back and get them to sign all this stuff. Hopefully they'd be able to do it on the spot...

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:45 pm

Splitt3r wrote:So, I still haven't gotten in all my immunization stuff in yet, because I went and got all the tests without realizing they needed to sign the form. So now I need to go back and get them to sign all this stuff. Hopefully they'd be able to do it on the spot...
Eh, I doubt it'll be an issue as long as you get it in pretty quickly. You might want to call the health people (whatever department that's technically called). There's a number on the top of the Immunization form, and I'm pretty sure you can fax it in, too (I think someone on the FB group said they did so).

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:14 pm

gilchristh wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:So, I still haven't gotten in all my immunization stuff in yet, because I went and got all the tests without realizing they needed to sign the form. So now I need to go back and get them to sign all this stuff. Hopefully they'd be able to do it on the spot...
Eh, I doubt it'll be an issue as long as you get it in pretty quickly. You might want to call the health people (whatever department that's technically called). There's a number on the top of the Immunization form, and I'm pretty sure you can fax it in, too (I think someone on the FB group said they did so).
Yeah that's my plan. Unfortunately, my old healthcare provider said I would need the doctor I went to when I was a member to sign it. That'd be fine, except that he passed away shortly before I left. After a long conversation, they said they'd find someone to sign it, but it could take up to 15 days. Fml

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Splitt3r wrote:Yeah that's my plan. Unfortunately, my old healthcare provider said I would need the doctor I went to when I was a member to sign it. That'd be fine, except that he passed away shortly before I left. After a long conversation, they said they'd find someone to sign it, but it could take up to 15 days. Fml
Not to take pleasure at your inconvenience, but I hope you don't mind us old folks relishing one of the few benefits of being old :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sba314

New

Post by sba314 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:59 pm

Just got the tuition email. I have a large negative balance on my account, which the email says should happen if I'm planning on requesting a loan refund... what? Weird.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:03 pm

Any other lucky Hoyas find out they have TB via the school mandated TB testing?

I'm grateful I caught it, but irritated I have it.....bad day.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:26 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:Any other lucky Hoyas find out they have TB via the school mandated TB testing?

Oh boo! TB tests allegedly give false positives quite frequently, so if you didn't have follow-up tests, definitely request them. Were you really sick or did the test just identify you as a carrier?

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:27 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:Any other lucky Hoyas find out they have TB via the school mandated TB testing?

Did you have the vaccination when you were little? That can lead to a false positive?

I hope you also get a chest Xray before they start a course of treatment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:17 pm

Man I have so many things I have to do... immunization record, final transcript, healthcare opt-out, dean's cert, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. I should probably get on that stuff. Though I think my tuition statement is finally confirmation that my loans have been approved, which was a relief.

The original reason I wanted to post before getting sidetracked: Does anyone have any experience with the career services office? I finally got to the document where I could see employer's requirements for interviews. They were almost all B+ averages to get interviews. I kind of expected it but I was secretly hoping to be pleasantly surprised. What does the other half of the class do? I feel like if you are in the top 50% you have loads of options but fall below and things drastically change. Can anyone speak to whether or not OCS is helpful or not? They seem to have some decent resources and I know at least one OCS person is a member of Anna Ivey's team, so I guess they have to have some level of reliability.

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:38 pm

OCS is pretty worthless. and i doubt even median students will be in good shape this upcoming OCI.

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Brucewaynegretzky wrote:Man I have so many things I have to do... immunization record, final transcript, healthcare opt-out, dean's cert, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. I should probably get on that stuff. Though I think my tuition statement is finally confirmation that my loans have been approved, which was a relief.

The original reason I wanted to post before getting sidetracked: Does anyone have any experience with the career services office? I finally got to the document where I could see employer's requirements for interviews. They were almost all B+ averages to get interviews. I kind of expected it but I was secretly hoping to be pleasantly surprised. What does the other half of the class do? I feel like if you are in the top 50% you have loads of options but fall below and things drastically change. Can anyone speak to whether or not OCS is helpful or not? They seem to have some decent resources and I know at least one OCS person is a member of Anna Ivey's team, so I guess they have to have some level of reliability.
I was wondering the same thing. I figure the bottom half should at least find solid jobs in places other than NY, DC, Chi town, LA; ie the secondary markets. Is this accurate?? Most placement talk on tls seems to refer to getting close to market salary in the primary legal markets.

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:02 pm

Mark71121 wrote:OCS is pretty worthless. and i doubt even median students will be in good shape this upcoming OCI.
Are you a current student or are you just speaking about career services in general?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:05 pm

Jadcia wrote:
Mark71121 wrote:OCS is pretty worthless. and i doubt even median students will be in good shape this upcoming OCI.
Are you a current student or are you just speaking about career services in general?
current student

wtx

New

Post by wtx » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:41 pm

Mark71121 wrote:
Jadcia wrote:
current student
So you're not a member of the Class of 2012....so take your negativity somewhere else. Is it possible OCS at our future school isn't the greatest? Sure. Is it true the economy blows? Yes. Regardless, we have a choice about how we're going to approach our experience at GULC...we can listen to "current students" like "Mark with a bunch of numbers" or we can go in optimistically and determined to make the most of it.

I appreciate that you're probably trying to give us you're honest opinion based on the experience you've had, but I don't see it as even slightly constructive. We've made the decision to go to Georgetown, and our futures are not up to the OCS or some predetermined GPA cutoff as most folks on TLS would like to believe. We're going to one of the best law schools in the country. Period.

If you have connections, you can use them. If you have ties to a secondary market. you can use them, too. If you graduate from GULC and aren't in good shape, then you have problems beyond whatever caused you to not do well in law school.

My vote is to leave the economy to the economists and ignore the negativity someone posts on some internet message board. You're goin to GULC, congrats! Your future is in your hands.

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:17 am

wtx wrote:
Mark71121 wrote:
Jadcia wrote:
current student
So you're not a member of the Class of 2012....so take your negativity somewhere else. Is it possible OCS at our future school isn't the greatest? Sure. Is it true the economy blows? Yes. Regardless, we have a choice about how we're going to approach our experience at GULC...we can listen to "current students" like "Mark with a bunch of numbers" or we can go in optimistically and determined to make the most of it.

I appreciate that you're probably trying to give us you're honest opinion based on the experience you've had, but I don't see it as even slightly constructive. We've made the decision to go to Georgetown, and our futures are not up to the OCS or some predetermined GPA cutoff as most folks on TLS would like to believe. We're going to one of the best law schools in the country. Period.

If you have connections, you can use them. If you have ties to a secondary market. you can use them, too. If you graduate from GULC and aren't in good shape, then you have problems beyond whatever caused you to not do well in law school.

My vote is to leave the economy to the economists and ignore the negativity someone posts on some internet message board. You're goin to GULC, congrats! Your future is in your hands.

ur in for a rude awakening if u think nething matters except your grades when it comes to job placement.

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:32 am

Well let's agree to disagree and move on. Has everyone's loans been processed or are there some people who are still applying. Do you have to apply again for the Spring or does it all automatically happen in December? What if you run out of loan money?
Last edited by Jadcia on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poker1928

New

Post by poker1928 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:53 am

Jadcia wrote:Has everyone's loans been processed or are there some people who are still applying.
My loan is showing up as "expected", but I don't think my lender has received anything yet from them. I guess its good enough though if they're already crediting my account.
Jadcia wrote:Do you have to apply again for the Spring or does it all automatically happen in December? What is you run out of loan money?
I think you only apply for a year, they just automatically split your loans into the two semesters.
Jadcia wrote: What is you run out of loan money?
Cry? And maybe apply for a private loan? There's no rule that you have to apply before the beginning of the year.

Jadcia

New

Post by Jadcia » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:14 am

poker1928 wrote:
Jadcia wrote:Has everyone's loans been processed or are there some people who are still applying.
My loan is showing up as "expected", but I don't think my lender has received anything yet from them. I guess its good enough though if they're already crediting my account.
Jadcia wrote:Do you have to apply again for the Spring or does it all automatically happen in December? What is you run out of loan money?
I think you only apply for a year, they just automatically split your loans into the two semesters.
Jadcia wrote: What if you run out of loan money?
Cry? And maybe apply for a private loan? There's no rule that you have to apply before the beginning of the year.
Good to know. And good that your loans have gone through or are on their way.

jschuyler

New

Post by jschuyler » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:18 am

wtx wrote:
Mark71121 wrote:
Jadcia wrote:
current student

Mark, you've been very helpful in this thread and others. I'm not sure why wtx is so angry at you. I appreciate any news you can give us, whether it's positive or negative.

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:47 am

no problemo. always here and willing to answer questions you guys may have. i've enjoyed my time at gulc, but i'm certainly not going to lie about some of the negatives.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wtx

New

Post by wtx » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:28 pm

ur in fo ra rude awakening if u think nething matters except your grades when it comes to job placement
I understand that grades are the single factor in determining which jobs someone might automatically qualify for, but if you think that grades are everything and that connections are meaningless, then you've been living under a rock. I don't think there exists a line of work in which networking isn't an essential tool and skill for not only landing good jobs, but for career advancement as well.

To Mark, my apologies for coming across as angry...that wasn't my intention. As I stated, I appreciate that you're just giving us your honest opinion based on your experience. I just wanted to make the point that we all need to be optimistic about the fact that we're going to a great school and that the half of the class that ends up below the median GPA isn't screwed. They'll (hopefully this doesn't become we'll :? ) just have to use other means (i.e. connections/secondary markets) to land good jobs. This is where the ppl we've met and the name on our degree will come in handy. Again, my apologies.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:44 pm

wtx wrote:
Mark71121 wrote:
Jadcia wrote:
current student

If you think hearing the truth about it from current students is a bad thing, you're an utter moron. If you had any sense you'd thank him for providing this sort of info so you can make better decisions.

I'm attending one of DNCG, and while they're great schools, the economy is unprecedentedly bad. Guys like Mark are a valuable resource for those of us who aren't interested in burying our heads in the sand.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Yeah, I agree that Mark is generally very helpful, but I think I understand where wtx was coming from. It's hard to NOT get defensive when GULC seems to get disproportionately bashed on here. We've already made our decision, and we're most likely not going into it blindfolded (considering we're on here doing our "homework"), so listening to all the negative crap all the time gets frustrating.

With that said, wtx, Mark is generally a very helpful guy. He means well.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:53 pm

gilchristh wrote:Yeah, I agree that Mark is generally very helpful, but I think I understand where wtx was coming from. It's hard to NOT get defensive when GULC seems to get disproportionately bashed on here. We've already made our decision, and we're most likely not going into it blindfolded (considering we're on here doing our "homework"), so listening to all the negative crap all the time gets frustrating.

With that said, wtx, Mark is generally a very helpful guy. He means well.
FWIW, the GULC bashing is based on people not really understanding the available employment stats. People at Cornell, etc, shouldn't really be breathing easy in this economy either.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”