3.61 gpa, 153 LSAT, please help Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sarlis

Silver

Re: 3.61 gpa, 153 LSAT, please help

Post by sarlis » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:14 pm

LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:
sarlis wrote:
LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:
Eddieb317 wrote:The above advice about regional schools and retake should be noted. If you want to move forward though you need to do the foot work.

The schools that you should apply to will depend on where you want to live, and what you want to do in law. If you do not know what you want to do in law, then you might take more time to think about actually going to LS an possibly retake.

Basically, there is no one school that anyone can tell you would be good to apply to. You need to research the area in which you want to live after LS, and what schools are in that area that you qualify for. After that, look at what they focus on academically. What areas are there clinics in, what are they known for in the community, who are the biggest regional employers of grads... etc. Price matters, but getting the right skills and positioning for the job market is important also.

Start by going online and looking at LS view books / fact sheets. They will tell you lots of statistics about the student body, the graduation rates, bar passage, employment by sector, etc. You can also give them your address and they will send out a paper copy of their view book. Both online and hard copy will have some focus on an area of law, it might not be explicit, but you will notice that they push the prestige of their Intellectual Property professors... or their Business/Corporate/Deal professors...

It takes time, but it also gives you a chance to get to know where you are going to be spending the next three years, and $100K+ that you probably don't have! Take your time and be thorough.

What a doosh. "you need to do the foot work" Hey IDIOT! Message boards exist to get other points of view. I think we can all safely assume that everyone will be doing the "research" before we put down deposits on our seats. I know what schools are on my radar, and I just wanted other opinions from some sharp people who frequent this board. Spare me the , "if you don't know what kind of law you want to practice, maybe you should rethink going to LS" crap. Dooshes like you ruin message boards.
hey, n00b, eddieb took the time to write you a good post about what he thinks is the best option for you. You don't need to call him a douche for taking time out of his day to give you advice.
My bad. I won't say anything else until I reach the monumental accoumplishment of having 665 posts like you. Let me be in awe of your achievement of "typing" (a lot) over long periods of time. Yes, this truly makes your opinion more valid than any "nOOb" on this board...

By the way, I sincerely do appreciate all of your opinions (even the Cooley blast) EXCEPT for "Doosh (eddieb) and Doosher (sarlis)" over here.
lol; the people who make fun of your numbers (cooley) are the nice ones, and the people who give you good advice are the dooshes. ahhhh the n00bs

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:27 pm

OP: no need in being a douche. You put the post, expect the criticism. If you don't accept reality law may not be the place for you.

In all seriousness, with a 153, you are shut out of the top 100, though you could squeak into UofSF, Gonzaga, of Hofstra. Anything above them is likely a waste.

They only hope you have is for your GPA to be higher than the school's 75th Percentile. Seeing that your GPA isn't even that high, you'd be targeting bottom Tier 2/Tier 3 schools.

Your GPA is good enough to get you into a T30. Like everyone else, it makes sense to put in the time now and get that 160+. Even a 160 will do wonders.

LSAT! Nooooooooo!

New

Post by LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:29 pm

sarlis wrote:
LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:
Eddieb317 wrote:The above advice about regional schools and retake should be noted. If you want to move forward though you need to do the foot work.

The schools that you should apply to will depend on where you want to live, and what you want to do in law. If you do not know what you want to do in law, then you might take more time to think about actually going to LS an possibly retake.

Basically, there is no one school that anyone can tell you would be good to apply to. You need to research the area in which you want to live after LS, and what schools are in that area that you qualify for. After that, look at what they focus on academically. What areas are there clinics in, what are they known for in the community, who are the biggest regional employers of grads... etc. Price matters, but getting the right skills and positioning for the job market is important also.

Start by going online and looking at LS view books / fact sheets. They will tell you lots of statistics about the student body, the graduation rates, bar passage, employment by sector, etc. You can also give them your address and they will send out a paper copy of their view book. Both online and hard copy will have some focus on an area of law, it might not be explicit, but you will notice that they push the prestige of their Intellectual Property professors... or their Business/Corporate/Deal professors...

It takes time, but it also gives you a chance to get to know where you are going to be spending the next three years, and $100K+ that you probably don't have! Take your time and be thorough.

What a doosh. "you need to do the foot work" Hey IDIOT! Message boards exist to get other points of view. I think we can all safely assume that everyone will be doing the "research" before we put down deposits on our seats. I know what schools are on my radar, and I just wanted other opinions from some sharp people who frequent this board. Spare me the , "if you don't know what kind of law you want to practice, maybe you should rethink going to LS" crap. Dooshes like you ruin message boards.
hey, n00b, eddieb took the time to write you a good post about what he thinks is the best option for you. You don't need to call him a douche for taking time out of his day to give you advice.
Ahhhh message board freaks... Typing about life while the rest of us actually live it. Before you tell me: I know I know you have a 175 LSAT score, and a supermodel girlfriend, and a Porche, and a mansion, and you turned down a full scholly at Yale. You're probably too cool even for law school now. It's weird that message board freaks lead these awesome lives, yet still have time to rack up 665 posts.

LSAT! Nooooooooo!

New

Post by LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:34 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:OP: no need in being a douche. You put the post, expect the criticism. If you don't accept reality law may not be the place for you.

In all seriousness, with a 153, you are shut out of the top 100, though you could squeak into UofSF, Gonzaga, of Hofstra. Anything above them is likely a waste.

They only hope you have is for your GPA to be higher than the school's 75th Percentile. Seeing that your GPA isn't even that high, you'd be targeting bottom Tier 2/Tier 3 schools.

Your GPA is good enough to get you into a T30. Like everyone else, it makes sense to put in the time now and get that 160+. Even a 160 will do wonders.
Hey guys, I'm not offended by the "dose of reality" (I promise). Nor am I offended by your post. Just Doosh and Doosher..

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:36 pm

LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:
sarlis wrote:
LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:

Ahhhh message board freaks... Typing about life while the rest of us actually live it. Before you tell me: I know I know you have a 175 LSAT score, and a supermodel girlfriend, and a Porche, and a mansion, and you turned down a full scholly at [strike]Yale[/strike] Harvard. You're probably too cool even for law school now. It's weird that message board freaks lead these awesome lives, yet still have time to rack up 665 posts.
this. and fixed

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:48 pm

LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:
sarlis wrote:
LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:

Ahhhh message board freaks... Typing about life while the rest of us actually live it. Before you tell me: I know I know you have a 175 LSAT score, and a supermodel girlfriend, and a Porche, and a mansion, and you turned down a full scholly at Yale. You're probably too cool even for law school now. It's weird that message board freaks lead these awesome lives, yet still have time to rack up 665 posts.
Yale doesn't offer full scholarships and you come across as an idiot in this thread. The most comprehensive response you rejected outright b/c you decided it rubbed you the wrong way. I would say that it was the best advice given as well so far, but the best advice has already been said- retake or do not go to law school. That simple. Don't waste money on a TTT.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:56 pm

Can we get a ban on the OP? He's obviously a troll.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:10 pm

dresden doll wrote:Can we get a ban on the OP? He's obviously a troll.
seconded

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:35 pm

Doritos wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Can we get a ban on the OP? He's obviously a troll.
seconded
thirded, fourthded, and fifthded, lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:24 am

LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:
sarlis wrote:
LSAT! Nooooooooo! wrote:

Yeah I was going to offer the OP some advice about retaking and applying earlier in the cycle. Instead I'll advise you to lighten up. The harsh reality is that you need better numbers or you will end up at a Tier 4 law school, 100K in debt and begging for any 40K law related job you can get to keep yourself off of welfare. eddieb hit the nail on the head. Go read his advice again.

CaliGirl26

New

Post by CaliGirl26 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:18 pm

I know this topic is very old but I actually used it as a guide when applying to schools after I first got my LSAT score, as my numbers are just about identical to the original poster's.

The negative responses almost dissuaded me from applying to USF. I was recently admitted FT to this school despite my crappy LSAT. I don't consider it squeaking by because I was not WL'd. I know it's not a T14 but I'm stoked and I am looking forward to more acceptances from T2 schools. I think he def. had a shot at LSU as he originally asked as well.

LSAT snobs are transparent lame asses and if you can't be encouraging as anonymous posters , how will you ever be positive and selfless enough to help your clients through tough times as an attorney? This guy wasn't asking for his chances at Yale.

I hope you ended up applying dude.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”