epic grade inflation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: epic grade inflation

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 pm

nick637 wrote:can anyone tell me why i have an "insf" for the percentile rank and GPA college mean?
not a large enough number of applicants are from your UG insitution so they can't calculate a meaningful percentile.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Yea if you are good at problem solving and know the material well those problems aren't too bad. I was decent at the problem solving but not with studying all the material.
That's what I meant, it is not impossible to get 100%, it just takes extraordinary effort which most students don't put forth.

Grade inflation is for them, not me! :lol:
It depends on how hard the professor makes the test. There are some questions that the professor probably couldn't even do in the time allotted. They design the tests so even the very brightest and dedicated top out at a round 90-95. There were plenty of brilliant students who worked insane hours, and they still couldn't get 100. I'm almost positive most of my professors made it impossible on purpose.

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
nick637 wrote:can anyone tell me why i have an "insf" for the percentile rank and GPA college mean?
not a large enough number of applicants are from your UG insitution so they can't calculate a meaningful percentile.
gotcha thanks

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
It depends on how hard the professor makes the test. There are some questions that the professor probably couldn't even do in the time allotted. They design the tests so even the very brightest and dedicated top out at a round 90-95. There were plenty of brilliant students who worked insane hours, and they still couldn't get 100. I'm almost positive most of my professors made it impossible on purpose.
I can certainly attest to that. My professor used my submissions to all the extra credit answers as the answers he posted for the other classmates. I don't think he bothered to solve them himself. Took me many hours but makes me feel proud when he used my solution.

I see your points now. Like I said, maybe I am just crazier than most that I will not go to sleep if I can't solve a question, I will keep working until I can get it right. I have always been like that. But I guess I am the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks for broadening my view, I really didn't know that departments don't expect people to get 100%... Maybe I am an idiot for trying to complete everything :lol: well now I know why they like me enough to invite me to co-author papers and teach UG next fall 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”