Duke Priority Track Invite / Fee Waiver Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
duodora

Bronze

Re: Duke Priority Track Invite / Fee Waiver

Post by duodora » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:37 pm

GeePee wrote: A Why Duke? addendum would solve that anyway along with a LOCI. Express your interest in their environmental program and run with it. YP is never a problem if you make a good enough case for yourself.
Was definitely planning on sending a "Why Duke" essay in expressing interest in the environmental program!

A LOCI is just if you get waitlisted though--right?

And thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it :)

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:20 pm

duodora wrote:
GeePee wrote: A Why Duke? addendum would solve that anyway along with a LOCI. Express your interest in their environmental program and run with it. YP is never a problem if you make a good enough case for yourself.
Was definitely planning on sending a "Why Duke" essay in expressing interest in the environmental program!

A LOCI is just if you get waitlisted though--right?

And thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it :)
Yeah, you have the right idea. Good luck with your cycle.

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Post by PoorOrpheus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:27 pm

The only reason I registered for CRS was in the hopes of getting a Duke PT (I already have the mother of all fee waivers that LSAC provides). I just got an e-mail for a Duke waiver but it didn't mention anything about PT. That means I'm out for PT, right?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:29 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:The only reason I registered for CRS was in the hopes of getting a Duke PT (I already have the mother of all fee waivers that LSAC provides). I just got an e-mail for a Duke waiver but it didn't mention anything about PT. That means I'm out for PT, right?
Yeah, I didn't get one, either. I don't think Duke generally gives out PT apps to GPA>3.5, LSAT>174 applicants (with good reason, these people are generally going to T6 or MVP with $$). I think they'd rather budget their time to take highly interested applicants early on.

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Post by PoorOrpheus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:31 pm

GeePee wrote:
PoorOrpheus wrote:The only reason I registered for CRS was in the hopes of getting a Duke PT (I already have the mother of all fee waivers that LSAC provides). I just got an e-mail for a Duke waiver but it didn't mention anything about PT. That means I'm out for PT, right?
Yeah, I didn't get one, either. I don't think Duke generally gives out PT apps to GPA>3.5, LSAT>174 applicants (with good reason, these people are generally going to T6 or MVP with $$). I think they'd rather budget their time to take highly interested applicants early on.
Thanks for letting me know.
Last edited by PoorOrpheus on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hypermeganet

Bronze

Post by hypermeganet » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:36 pm

I got the fee waiver, no PT though. Although I'm certain to be nearly an auto-ding there. I guess they are working the numbers game.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Well duke. Well. I see how it is. Fine, don't send me a PT invite. See if I care. Your loss, really.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:47 pm

GeePee wrote:
i have 175+ from june and didn't get a PT invitation, fwiw (even though i really would have liked the chance for such an early T14 acceptance)

there was an earlier thread about duke PT, back when they first started sending them out which was i think around early september. there was a good amount of anecdotal evidence in that thread to suggest that there's some sort of YP element going on. based on what i recall from that thread, people with above a 173 or so were still getting fee waivers, but no PT - although some people who didn't get it initially had success requesting it.

edit: i would have requested the PT myself, but i had already submitted my application before i became aware it was an option to do so

Legalite

New

Post by Legalite » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Last edited by Legalite on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoopsguy6

Bronze

Post by hoopsguy6 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Well it's past 5pm EST, and I still haven't heard back from Duke :evil: . I see how it is.

thechee

Bronze

Post by thechee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Ok, I got a PT fee waiver from Duke, and a fee waiver from Virginia today. The thing is, my gpa is less than 3.7, and my June LSAT is 164. I took the September test, but haven't gotten my score back because my account is on hold due to a fee waiver appeal...is it possible that Duke and UVA somehow have my score and I don't??

knola002

Bronze

Post by knola002 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Got the fee waiver, no offer of PT though.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Duke, I don't even care about PT really... I just want a fee waiver.

I kind of want to take a trip down to Durham and smack Dean Hoye in the face. What are you doing to me man?!?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:00 pm

thechee wrote:Ok, I got a PT fee waiver from Duke, and a fee waiver from Virginia today. The thing is, my gpa is less than 3.7, and my June LSAT is 164. I took the September test, but haven't gotten my score back because my account is on hold due to a fee waiver appeal...is it possible that Duke and UVA somehow have my score and I don't??
Probable. The Duke PT probably means you scored between 169-173, to narrow it down. Hope that makes you happy!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:06 pm

GeePee wrote:Duke, I don't even care about PT really... I just want a fee waiver.

I kind of want to take a trip down to Durham and smack Dean Hoye in the face. What are you doing to me man?!?

Yea I am pretty sure LSAC released scores to schools in advance. Hence why I have no fee waivers or anything, because I didn't register for CRS until Saturday. I thought it would be fine to wait until then and thought my grades and everyone elses would be sent out same time. Worse things have happened..

I don't plan on applying until the end of next week now anyhow...

thechee

Bronze

Post by thechee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:06 pm

GeePee wrote:
thechee wrote:Ok, I got a PT fee waiver from Duke, and a fee waiver from Virginia today. The thing is, my gpa is less than 3.7, and my June LSAT is 164. I took the September test, but haven't gotten my score back because my account is on hold due to a fee waiver appeal...is it possible that Duke and UVA somehow have my score and I don't??
Probable. The Duke PT probably means you scored between 169-173, to narrow it down. Hope that makes you happy!
That would be sweet. June was such a disaster! -0LG, -4RC, and -15LR!!!

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:32 pm

GeePee wrote:Duke, I don't even care about PT really... I just want a fee waiver.

I didn't get a Duke FW the first time around when they sent out PT with Fee Waivers. In fact, I didn't get it until the beginning of fall (after June '09), only a week before I was about to send out my apps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:35 pm

I took the LSAT in June 08, over a full year ago, and retook it this September. I applied to Duke this weekend (I'm wasting no time in getting my applications in) and was surprised to find a fee waiver when checking out. Sure enough, today I got the email inviting me to apply priority tack with a fee waiver! Very awesome.

I know Duke is very generous with merit scholarships, but do they automatically award them with admission, or do you apply for them only after admission?

Thanks.

duodora

Bronze

Post by duodora » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Might still be coming...I just got one literally a minute or two ago. No PT just a waiver...

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:00 pm

No PT but I got the waiver. Stats for folks offered PT?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:02 pm

forza wrote:No PT but I got the waiver. Stats for folks offered PT?
Look at the LSN data for 09-10 acceptances. The offers fall into a pretty neat little box.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:05 pm

I'm in the box. Haters.

hoopsguy6

Bronze

Post by hoopsguy6 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:12 pm

Update: Well I got a really generic sounding fee waiver email from Duke. No mention of Priority Track, which is pretty disappointing.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:17 pm

forza wrote:I'm in the box. Haters.
Is NC on your list of states you would attend Law School? I'd edit that list to include all states with t14s, if I were you.

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Yeah I received a PT fee waiver as well. U of Virginia also gave me a fee waiver, what does this mean?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”