2.74 gpa : ( What LSAT score do I need? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Yoquiero

New

Re: 2.74 gpa : ( What LSAT score do I need?

Post by Yoquiero » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:54 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
A statisitically insignificant quantity of those who apply, sure. Should the OP bank on it? Of course not.
A 2.x GPA and 172+ LSAT actually has a much higher chance of getting into a T14 than it does not getting into a T14.

You really need like arrests on your record + really bad personal statement to not get into at least one of the schools.

A 2.x GPA and 177+ LSAT has a very high chance of at least one T10 acceptance (something approaching a 90% range).
Should he bank on that? of course not. Is it possible? Absolutely.

Katerina

Bronze

Post by Katerina » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:46 pm

OP- it's encouraging that your major GPA was much higher than your overall GPA. I would strongly suggest you write a GPA Addendum discussing what went wrong your Freshman year.

Honestly, the "what score do I need to get" questions are a bit pointless- on test day, if you're going into the test thinking "I need a 172, I need a 172", you're going to stress yourself out further and may hurt your performance. Invest in lots of practice materials (whether you sign up for a class or just buy the Bibles or other books is up to you), work through those and give yourself at least 10 timed, full-length tests to build your endurance and give yourself an idea of what score you can expect to get on TestDay.

Come back here after you get your score and we can talk about what schools you should shoot for. Good luck! :D

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Yoquiero wrote:A 2.x GPA and 172+ LSAT actually has a much higher chance of getting into a T14 than it does not getting into a T14.
You are now my friend.

Signed,
2.73/172

nativedelta

New

Post by nativedelta » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:51 pm

I had a 2.76 undergrad (stayed to long in Chemistry before switching majors) and a 162 LSAT.

That got me into Catholic University with a 1/3 scholarship and American University at sticker price.

I just transferred to George Mason University.

Good luck!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:52 pm

you need at least a 185

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yoquiero

New

Post by Yoquiero » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:55 pm

NayBoer wrote: You are now my friend.

Signed,
2.73/172
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Buckeye2006
Maybe even some T10 money with a 2.8/172 :lol:

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Yoquiero wrote:
NayBoer wrote: You are now my friend.

Signed,
2.73/172
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Buckeye2006
Maybe even some T10 money with a 2.8/172 :lol:
Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

NU is my ED school.

Yoquiero

New

Post by Yoquiero » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:43 pm

NayBoer wrote:
NU is my ED school.
You and me both.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
darylfarrad wrote:
misformafia wrote:181.

But seriously, it depends on what schools you're looking into. Also, on what undergrad you went to, and what your major was - if it was poly sci or philosophy you're going need a higher LSAT; if it was biochemical engineering you may have a little more wiggle room.

High 160s should get you into a Tier 1, mid to high 170s for for T14.

Maybe someone else with more comparable stats could give some advice...

My B.A is in Criminal Justice. I averaged a 3.32 gpa in my concentration.
I'm thinking you don't have a good idea on how the whole admissions game works. You have to understand that your 2.74 is going to SEVERELY lower the majority of schools 25-75% means. To make up for that, you need a high LSAT to make yourself even somewhat attractive. Now for lower ranked schools, it won't matter as much... but it still matters. Plus do some research on what employment opportunities you'd even have graduating from lower tiered schools. I can tell you point blank... the law industry is HURTING BIG TIME. You'd have an almost impossible time trying to pay off loans on $150,000 debt making less than $40,000 a year. And those loans will haunt you FOR LIFE, regardless of bankruptcy.

Why don't you list schools you'd be interested in attending, and let's go from there.
What about LRAP to help pay back some of that money?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:07 pm

darylfarrad wrote:I left undergrad with a 2.74 gpa mainly due to my freshman year gpa of 1.75. Sadness I know. What LSAT score do I need or should I shoot for in order to get into law school.
Not to sound rude, but there has to be more to this than what you’re telling us. You're 2.74 GPA could of not been mainly due to your freshman year. If your freshman year you had 1.75-thats only 24-30 credits respectively, and if you had 3.5-4.0 for the following 90 credits your GPA would not add up to 2.74. I don’t know, but you might be hiding something.

On the bright side, as long as you score high on your LSAT, you have nothing to worry about. You might not be attending Yale or Harvard, but you can get in to decent school with 165+. With a high LSAT score, everything is possible. There are TLS members that are attending Michigan with 2.9.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:16 pm

hds2388 wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:You won't get into any law school worth going to (Read: T14) with that GPA. Sorry.

This is just remarkable ignorance.
I totally agree. Sometimes when I hear curtain people say something I just have to take a deep breath. This would be one of those examples.

I've been getting 175, 176 on my practice LSAT, and despite my high LSAT I am considering a public law school; not a T-14, for my own personal reasons such as "debt", so for you to state something like that is pure ignorance because well knowledgeable people do attend schools that are not in T-14 range.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:45 pm

ejjones wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
darylfarrad wrote:
misformafia wrote:181.

But seriously, it depends on what schools you're looking into. Also, on what undergrad you went to, and what your major was - if it was poly sci or philosophy you're going need a higher LSAT; if it was biochemical engineering you may have a little more wiggle room.

High 160s should get you into a Tier 1, mid to high 170s for for T14.

Maybe someone else with more comparable stats could give some advice...

My B.A is in Criminal Justice. I averaged a 3.32 gpa in my concentration.
I'm thinking you don't have a good idea on how the whole admissions game works. You have to understand that your 2.74 is going to SEVERELY lower the majority of schools 25-75% means. To make up for that, you need a high LSAT to make yourself even somewhat attractive. Now for lower ranked schools, it won't matter as much... but it still matters. Plus do some research on what employment opportunities you'd even have graduating from lower tiered schools. I can tell you point blank... the law industry is HURTING BIG TIME. You'd have an almost impossible time trying to pay off loans on $150,000 debt making less than $40,000 a year. And those loans will haunt you FOR LIFE, regardless of bankruptcy.

Why don't you list schools you'd be interested in attending, and let's go from there.
What about LRAP to help pay back some of that money?
Provided:

1. They decide to work in government/public interest
2. They actually get a job in one of the above fields

Unless you're top 60% (And I think I'm being VERY generous with that figure) at a T-3 to T-4 school, your odds of securing ANY gainful employment are minimal. And remember, even if you can defer.... the clock on the interest keeps on ticking.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:55 pm

True, just tossing that out there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

darylfarrad

New

Post by darylfarrad » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:25 am

Miracle wrote:
darylfarrad wrote:I left undergrad with a 2.74 gpa mainly due to my freshman year gpa of 1.75. Sadness I know. What LSAT score do I need or should I shoot for in order to get into law school.
Not to sound rude, but there has to be more to this than what you’re telling us. You're 2.74 GPA could of not been mainly due to your freshman year. If your freshman year you had 1.75-thats only 24-30 credits respectively, and if you had 3.5-4.0 for the following 90 credits your GPA would not add up to 2.74. I don’t know, but you might be hiding something.

On the bright side, as long as you score high on your LSAT, you have nothing to worry about. You might not be attending Yale or Harvard, but you can get in to decent school with 165+. With a high LSAT score, everything is possible. There are TLS members that are attending Michigan with 2.9.
I never said I averaged a 3.5 or 4.0 for the rest of undergrad. I said freshman year was by far my worst year. But instead of going over my whole transcript, I'll let you figure out that logic game.j/k thanks for the positive words!

darylfarrad

New

Post by darylfarrad » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:52 am

nativedelta wrote:I had a 2.76 undergrad (stayed to long in Chemistry before switching majors) and a 162 LSAT.

That got me into Catholic University with a 1/3 scholarship and American University at sticker price.

I just transferred to George Mason University.

Good luck!
Thanks!

darylfarrad

New

Post by darylfarrad » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:54 am

Katerina wrote:OP- it's encouraging that your major GPA was much higher than your overall GPA. I would strongly suggest you write a GPA Addendum discussing what went wrong your Freshman year.

Honestly, the "what score do I need to get" questions are a bit pointless- on test day, if you're going into the test thinking "I need a 172, I need a 172", you're going to stress yourself out further and may hurt your performance. Invest in lots of practice materials (whether you sign up for a class or just buy the Bibles or other books is up to you), work through those and give yourself at least 10 timed, full-length tests to build your endurance and give yourself an idea of what score you can expect to get on TestDay.

Come back here after you get your score and we can talk about what schools you should shoot for. Good luck! :D
Thanks! I will save you as a friend so I can check back with you after the test!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:31 am

darylfarrad wrote:
Miracle wrote:
I never said I averaged a 3.5 or 4.0 for the rest of undergrad. I said freshman year was by far my worst year. But instead of going over my whole transcript, I'll let you figure out that logic game.j/k thanks for the positive words!
Ha, yea, I don't think he's really hiding anything, lol.
If it hasn't been said enough, just do extremely well on the LSAT.
Mid 160s should get you into a solid regional school, but you would really have to do much higher than that to get into a T14 school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:45 am

darylfarrad wrote: I never said I averaged a 3.5 or 4.0 for the rest of undergrad. I said freshman year was by far my worst year. But instead of going over my whole transcript, I'll let you figure out that logic game.j/k thanks for the positive words!
I started to figure out "that logic game", but quickly realized that I don't really care and just went on living my life. Bottom line, score 162+; youre GPA is what it is.....

darylfarrad

New

Post by darylfarrad » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:05 am

GATORTIM wrote:
darylfarrad wrote: I never said I averaged a 3.5 or 4.0 for the rest of undergrad. I said freshman year was by far my worst year. But instead of going over my whole transcript, I'll let you figure out that logic game.j/k thanks for the positive words!
I started to figure out "that logic game", but quickly realized that I don't really care and just went on living my life. Bottom line, score 162+; youre GPA is what it is.....
ur awesome THANKS!

darylfarrad

New

Post by darylfarrad » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:06 am

superflush wrote:
darylfarrad wrote:
Miracle wrote:
Ha, yea, I don't think he's really hiding anything, lol.
If it hasn't been said enough, just do extremely well on the LSAT.
Mid 160s should get you into a solid regional school, but you would really have to do much higher than that to get into a T14 school.
thanks for the encouragement!!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:51 pm

darylfarrad wrote:
Miracle wrote:

I know you didn't, but at the same time you can't say your freshman year was the only year that contributed to you 2.74 GPA...you had to score 2.5-3.0 couple of other times for your GPA to be low. Basic logic...!

However like I said worry about your LSAT...as long as you do well on those you have nothing to worry about! :D

When do you plan on taking them? Did you start studying? Did you take a practice LSAT?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:25 am

I got an 80 on the LSAT with that GPA... Adcoms were so baffled that Yale, Harvard, and Stanford all offered me full rides.

Yoquiero

New

Post by Yoquiero » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:28 am

savagedm wrote:I got an 80 on the LSAT with that GPA... Adcoms were so baffled that Yale, Harvard, and Stanford all offered me full rides.
Part of me thinks it should work that way. a 2.7/180 is somehow more impressive than a 3.9/180... in a sick twisted way :lol:

darylfarrad

New

Post by darylfarrad » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:16 am

Miracle wrote:
darylfarrad wrote:
Miracle wrote:

I know you didn't, but at the same time you can't say your freshman year was the only year that contributed to you 2.74 GPA...you had to score 2.5-3.0 couple of other times for your GPA to be low. Basic logic...!

However like I said worry about your LSAT...as long as you do well on those you have nothing to worry about! :D

When do you plan on taking them? Did you start studying? Did you take a practice LSAT?
I take them 9.26 I took about 5 practice test im near 164 now but im still dragging 5 minutes behind on each section. Mainly distraction and second guessing. I hope to do about 7 or 8 more practice test before the exam. I have the Kaplan Book. I also have a book of logic games I got from the public library. Im not in any classes tho.THANKS AGAIN!!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:48 am

Yoquiero wrote:
savagedm wrote:I got an 80 on the LSAT with that GPA... Adcoms were so baffled that Yale, Harvard, and Stanford all offered me full rides.
Part of me thinks it should work that way. a 2.7/180 is somehow more impressive than a 3.9/180... in a sick twisted way :lol:
People do go through unusual circumstances that influence their grades.

Think about it this way....would you rather accept someone that was exposed to a domestic violence/drugs/economic hardship/sexual assault situation/s causing them to have bad grades…managed to get themselves together pull a 4.0 in couple of semesters, pull 180 on the LSAT, or would you rather have someone that had no unusual circumstances that affected their grades managed to get 3.8, and 173 on the LSAT? I would pick the first one, because it showed courage, maturity, dedication, etc.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”