Columbia Law School: Second Reserve Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawjunkie82

New

Post by lawjunkie82 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:07 am

Just an update:

I went to visit the admissions office earlier this week and they encourage that you submit an additional letter of interest if you've been placed in the Second Reserve.

I'm surprised that some of you haven't heard, especially considering that we are in the middle of the month.

fifthcolumn

New

Post by fifthcolumn » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Just got the 2nd reserve letter today, dated June 14. I guess they sent out a later, second batch of these.

Dennis

New

Post by Dennis » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:29 pm

do you mail the loci or email them?

lawjunkie82

New

Post by lawjunkie82 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:39 pm

I would do both. Email them and specifically mention that a hard copy of the letter has been sent through the mail as well.

My reason: the might want a signature on the letter that goes in your file. They might not, but this way you account for that possible preference.

fifthcolumn

New

Post by fifthcolumn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:40 pm

How much time should one spend on a LOCI?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawjunkie82

New

Post by lawjunkie82 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:57 am

I spent a few hours to do both the research and the writing. At this stage, you probably want to construct as sound an argument as to why they should accept you over others on the reserve list. I'd try to avoid redundancy and strive to add another dimension to why your particular background is best suited for the school and why the school is best suited for you. I imagine you've heard this already, but it is something that the admissions officer emphasized when I visited.

She also told me that from this point forward, it is simply a waiting game. They are waiting to see if spots open up and deciding if it should go to you or someone else. I think that you should certainly write as thoughtful (read researched too) a LOCI as you can because it will distinguish you from everyone else that spent an hour on it or did not submit one at all.

I read somewhere that CLS will grant partial refunds for deposits up 'til July 1, so there might be some movement closer to their self imposed deadline of the first week in July.

Hope this helps.

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:58 am

Okay, I'm withdrawing my app, but I am going to tell them that they're still my top choice and I will be applying next year. Is it appropriate to just send an email, or should I go with a more official-looking snail mail correspondence?

mcb

New

Post by mcb » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:00 am

go official with snail mail so that they can add it to your file---because they will compare it to your new application

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:19 am

Yeah, that sounds good. Any thoughts on who I should address it to? "Dear Admissions Committee"? "To Whom It May Concern"? "HI there C1$ peeps ;- ) lol"?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawjunkie82

New

Post by lawjunkie82 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:30 am

I feel as though it should be addressed to Dean Iwerebon.

I had a similar dilemma in decided to who to address my LOCI to. The admissions officer that I met was kind enough to offer her email so that I could send my LOCI to her, but I felt that it was probably appropriate to address the letter to the Dean of Admission.

Doesn't the Second Reserve letter state that if there is any information that you wish to provide the admissions committee you should send it to the Dean?

Good luck!

mcb

New

Post by mcb » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:32 am

I feel as though it should be addressed to Dean Iwerebon.
yup. say To Dean Iwerebon and the Columbia Law School Admissions Staff:

fifthcolumn

New

Post by fifthcolumn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:00 pm

I thought about taking myself off the WL but decided against it. Spent about 1-2 hours on the LOCI and didn't do a ton of research, so I guess that's that. At this point I wouldn't go unless they offered me comparable money to where I'm slated to go now, and I doubt they'll offer someone merit money off the WL.

lawjunkie82

New

Post by lawjunkie82 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:55 am

Hey fifth,

I guess 2 additional hours are inconsequential in the larger scheme of things. I'm just hoping that spots do open up and some TLSers will get in from the wait list.

We've already had a few defer-accept (the love birds most notably), so hopefully it is only a matter of time.

Does anyone know if schools offer merit/diversity/etc. monies to people they accept off the wait list? I hate that they still use our parent's income to calculate our financial need. I've been making crap in the nonprofit sector all these years and you would think that they'd give a sister a break. Not bitter though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”