Advice for doing well in law school (at a T2) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jawsthegreat

Silver

Re: Advice for doing well in law school (at a T2)

Post by jawsthegreat » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:34 am

Luis Gomez wrote:tag.

t_flores08

New

Post by t_flores08 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:01 pm

tag

jkh

New

Post by jkh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:41 am

t_flores08 wrote:tag

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:01 pm

pineapple (tagged)

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:53 pm

tag, thanks for the great advice

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kh86

New

Post by kh86 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:54 pm

tag....thanks for the advice!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:58 pm

tagging

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:20 pm

thanks for the tag

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:30 am

You're it. (tag)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LoveSaltLife

New

Post by LoveSaltLife » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:25 pm

tag (:

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 pm

taggarooski!

jcgolf88

New

Post by jcgolf88 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:43 pm

bump

ianfitzy

New

Post by ianfitzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:48 pm

tag

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shot007

New

Post by Shot007 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Marked

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:38 pm

Using a word other than "tag" to tag a thread does not make tagging the thread compliant with the forum rules; which clearly state no tagging threads.

If you are unwilling to bookmark threads, instead you need to write a post that at least pretends to have some content. Like this one.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:26 pm

This is awesome; somebody give Arrow an award! :D

KimmyGibbler

New

Post by KimmyGibbler » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks for the tips

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tadams86

Bronze

Post by tadams86 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks tag

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:36 am

Tag.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:06 am

Hi Arrow, I read through this topic but didn't see the questions I'm about to ask. Hopefully you can answer it for me at your earliest convenience. Considering the recent inactivity in this topic, I may send you a PM eventually :P

I am confused by what the difference between your 2-column notes and outline is. What does each include, and when do you generally spend time working on each?

Do you continue to read your E&E throughout the semester? Any other supplements you recommend?

What is your typical schedule like? What are your tasks on Wednesdays and Saturdays, for example?

I'm planning to take off 2-3 months before school begins to look at Getting to Maybe (handed down by my ex) and the other three materials (two Delaney's books and LEEWS audio, right?) you suggested. And maybe take a look through some E&Es. Hope this is enough time to finish all these if I spend a few hours a weekday. Thanks!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:46 am

Taggy-tag-tag.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:05 am

tag

HungryHippo

New

Post by HungryHippo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:08 am

yum

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:26 am

a male human wrote:Hi Arrow, I read through this topic but didn't see the questions I'm about to ask. Hopefully you can answer it for me at your earliest convenience. Considering the recent inactivity in this topic, I may send you a PM eventually :P

I am confused by what the difference between your 2-column notes and outline is. What does each include, and when do you generally spend time working on each?

Do you continue to read your E&E throughout the semester? Any other supplements you recommend?

What is your typical schedule like? What are your tasks on Wednesdays and Saturdays, for example?

I'm planning to take off 2-3 months before school begins to look at Getting to Maybe (handed down by my ex) and the other three materials (two Delaney's books and LEEWS audio, right?) you suggested. And maybe take a look through some E&Es. Hope this is enough time to finish all these if I spend a few hours a weekday. Thanks!
Hey a man human,

1) I guess it is hard to explain the difference between my "notes" files and my "outline" file. The notes file has small case summaries + class notes. I also placed questions I would ask the professor during office hours at the bottom. The outline has...well the outline, which consists of black letter law, policy, and a mini outline I would use for the exam.

The best way for this to be clearer would perhaps to show you. If you look under the "My Files" section of the article, I have attached a copy of ny "notes" file and my "outline" file. Hopefully this will make it crystal.

I work on my notes file when I read my briefs, as that is when I jot down the mini-briefs. I also work on my notes file during class, as that is where I jot down class notes. Furthermore, I work on my outlines mostly in my spare time, often as I am reading supplements. Often, I work on my outlines in class.

2) As for E&E's, I definitely read them throughout the semester. Some of the best supplements in my opinion are Glannons E&Es on Torts and Civil Procedure, Chemerinsky’s Constitutional Law, Chirelstein’s Contracts, Prosser’s Hornbook on Torts, Farnsworth’s Hornbook on Contracts, Dressler’s Criminal Law books, and of course various CALI lessons. And yes, I would really recommend LEEWS + Delaneys.

3.) I don't have "set" schedules like some people. I keep it pretty free to study whatever I feel like I need to. The basic mindset is to spend every waking moment studying, while balancing gym, food, health, social, and networking events. I usually read the cases for the week during the weekends, and follow along with supplements on the weekdays. Sometimes I spent like 3-5 days heavily on one subject and then would switch subjects and spend another 3-5 days on that.

I hope this helps!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Arrow wrote:
a male human wrote:Hi Arrow, I read through this topic but didn't see the questions I'm about to ask. Hopefully you can answer it for me at your earliest convenience. Considering the recent inactivity in this topic, I may send you a PM eventually :P

Hey a man human,

1) I guess it is hard to explain the difference between my "notes" files and my "outline" file. The notes file has small case summaries + class notes. I also placed questions I would ask the professor during office hours at the bottom. The outline has...well the outline, which consists of black letter law, policy, and a mini outline I would use for the exam.

The best way for this to be clearer would perhaps to show you. If you look under the "My Files" section of the article, I have attached a copy of ny "notes" file and my "outline" file. Hopefully this will make it crystal.

I work on my notes file when I read my briefs, as that is when I jot down the mini-briefs. I also work on my notes file during class, as that is where I jot down class notes. Furthermore, I work on my outlines mostly in my spare time, often as I am reading supplements. Often, I work on my outlines in class.

2) As for E&E's, I definitely read them throughout the semester. Some of the best supplements in my opinion are Glannons E&Es on Torts and Civil Procedure, Chemerinsky’s Constitutional Law, Chirelstein’s Contracts, Prosser’s Hornbook on Torts, Farnsworth’s Hornbook on Contracts, Dressler’s Criminal Law books, and of course various CALI lessons. And yes, I would really recommend LEEWS + Delaneys.

3.) I don't have "set" schedules like some people. I keep it pretty free to study whatever I feel like I need to. The basic mindset is to spend every waking moment studying, while balancing gym, food, health, social, and networking events. I usually read the cases for the week during the weekends, and follow along with supplements on the weekdays. Sometimes I spent like 3-5 days heavily on one subject and then would switch subjects and spend another 3-5 days on that.

I hope this helps!
I look at the files again (and again), and I think I get it. Please let me know if I'm wrong:

The notes are summaries of cases you skim through, plus relevant things you add to the cases during class. And if you have questions about them, you jot them down at the end. Since you said the cases aren't very important, I'm guessing this notes file is just to keep track of what goes on in class and what the prof likes to emphasize, not necessarily to memorize or deeply study.

The outline is a summary of the entire class, which you recommend memorizing. It may include important cases, but generally it only has laws and their application, which you use to form arguments during the test. Are there minor laws you include here, or do you only focus on black letter?

You also say you work on your notes file as you read briefs. By briefs, do you mean the cases or is there a separate place you get these "briefs" (condensed form of the cases, I guess)?

Your list of supplements seems to come from various authors and texts. Does that mean you didn't get the E&Es for Contracts, for example?

I apologize for the barrage of questions, but I'm trying to prep as best as I can since I was not a liberal arts major. I can't help but feel apprehended by all these horror stories and new jargon. Thanks again.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”