tattoos Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BaiAilian2013

Silver

Re: tattoos

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:11 pm

I have several tattoos, including one on my forearm, and my solution is to wear long sleeves year-round. I have employers who still don't know I have tattoos. The major effect it has had on my law school application process is to rule out schools that feed into the South (long sleeves in the summer in Atlanta... ew). As long as you're okay with hiding it 100% of the time you're in any professional environment, you are equivalent to someone with no tattoos.

Watch out for foot tattoos, especially if you're a girl. I had a friend who discovered to her cost that a foot tattoo is much harder to hide that one might initially suspect.

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:17 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I have several tattoos, including one on my forearm, and my solution is to wear long sleeves year-round. I have employers who still don't know I have tattoos. The major effect it has had on my law school application process is to rule out schools that feed into the South (long sleeves in the summer in Atlanta... ew). As long as you're okay with hiding it 100% of the time you're in any professional environment, you are equivalent to someone with no tattoos.

Watch out for foot tattoos, especially if you're a girl. I had a friend who discovered to her cost that a foot tattoo is much harder to hide that one might initially suspect.
Yep, my feet tattoos are practically impossible to cover without sneakers. Even with panty hose they are visable through them (tops of both feet done).

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:18 pm

aside from what has been said above, some businesses (more than you would think) actually have policies against visible tatoos in the work place and at work sponsored events. I cant imagine at least some law firms would be any different. If you continue to get tatoos make sure that they can be covered up by t-shirts/shorts. Save yourself the grief.

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:20 pm

OP, I see a couple of options here:

1. Get the tattoo(s) and:
...........A) Plan on long sleeves, or;
...........B) Wear short sleeves and plan on people judging you, or;
...........C) Find a firm/field of where tattoos won't reflect poorly upon you, or;

2. Don't get the tattoo(s) and:
...........A) You won't have to worry about it.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:29 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I have several tattoos, including one on my forearm, and my solution is to wear long sleeves year-round. I have employers who still don't know I have tattoos. The major effect it has had on my law school application process is to rule out schools that feed into the South (long sleeves in the summer in Atlanta... ew). As long as you're okay with hiding it 100% of the time you're in any professional environment, you are equivalent to someone with no tattoos.

LOL! This person's tatoos are so freakin' important that they had to decide to eliminate southern schools because of them?!

People, tattoos do not make you any cooler. You are not a rebel or Miami Ink protege. They will not turn your ugly face/body hot. 99% of tattoos look ridiculous. Sleeves/face/hand/etc. tattoos are so stupid I don't even know where to begin.

People always love them until they reach 40........lulz.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gaius

New

Post by Gaius » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:32 pm

SoxyPirate wrote:
Gaius wrote: Through context you should have figured out he meant conservative as in resistant to change, not politically conservative. Especially in a thread about appearances.
spinsta wrote: conservative everything
and what, through context, led you to believe that I was talking about political conservatism?
Your mention of BYU. Apparently I was wrong.

Justice4All

New

Post by Justice4All » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:36 pm

My cousin got married recently and his brother/best man brought a chick with a knock-off playboy tattoo on her cleavage. It was pretty sweet.

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Gaius wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote:
Gaius wrote: Through context you should have figured out he meant conservative as in resistant to change, not politically conservative. Especially in a thread about appearances.
spinsta wrote: conservative everything
and what, through context, led you to believe that I was talking about political conservatism?
Your mention of BYU. Apparently I was wrong.
Socially, politically, religioiusly, legally, fiscally, morally, academically, historically, outwardly, inwardly, vertically, horizontally, artistically, hilariously conservative BYU? That shouldn't have narrowed it down much.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:59 pm

iminlstrick wrote:Worked at a firm as a secretary with another secretary. She had more experience than me. She also had visible tattoos on her ankles and one small one on her forearm.

Guess who the firm put at the front as the main receptionist/greeter for clients.

Just assume that people are snarky morons that think tattoos are a sign of devil-worship, heathen orgies, and binge drinking. Ink accordingly.
LOL or there could have been other reasons; ie given she had more experience they wanted her to do other work rather than spend her day greeting clients and directly traffic, which almost anyone can do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:02 pm

Judges don't think much of tattoos either. They tend to be more conservative and older than you. This is from my experience. The last thing you want is a judge who doesn't think much of you judging your client's story. They try to be completely impartial, but they are humans too.

zizou

New

Post by zizou » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:10 pm

I have a forearm tattoo, although it is very close to the elbow. In an office situation no one I have ever worked with has known about my tattoo unless I wanted them to. As far as outside of work events, invest in casual button downs. The murray shirt and whale shirt from vineyard vines are both good choices. At least in my case I can roll my sleeves up a quarter of the way, but people with lower placed forearm tattoos may have to suffer through the heat a little more during the summer.

Kaywinnit Lee

New

Post by Kaywinnit Lee » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:12 pm

A'nold wrote:
LOL! This person's tatoos are so freakin' important that they had to decide to eliminate southern schools because of them?!
She already has the tattoos. It's not like she is deciding between going back in time and not getting them or not going to a southern school. It actually makes a lot of sense to take weather into consideration if you are going to be forced to wear long sleeves every day; it's not like there is a dearth of great schools in cold climates.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:18 pm

Kaywinnit Lee wrote:
A'nold wrote:
She already has the tattoos. It's not like she is deciding between going back in time and not getting them or not going to a southern school. It actually makes a lot of sense to take weather into consideration if you are going to be forced to wear long sleeves every day; it's not like there is a dearth of great schools in cold climates.

I knew the word "important" would be taken the wrong way. I couldn't come up with the right word and though it was a usable substitute.....aparently not.

What I was saying is that having certain tattoos has such an impact on her life that she had to choose certain schools to apply to based on the ability to hide said tattoos comfortably. I am laughing because this ties into op's question perfectly. The answer is hell no, do not get a sleeve. It is not worth it. Not to mention the 99% chance it will be ugly and or not make up for your ugliness already, just make it worse.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:28 pm

A'nold wrote: LOL! This person's tatoos are so freakin' important that they had to decide to eliminate southern schools because of them?!

People, tattoos do not make you any cooler. You are not a rebel or Miami Ink protege. They will not turn your ugly face/body hot. 99% of tattoos look ridiculous. Sleeves/face/hand/etc. tattoos are so stupid I don't even know where to begin.

^^^^

haha... OP, i suppose comments/thoughts like this are another reason why you should keep your tattoos as discreet as possible.
:roll: sigh, who would have thought that some people get tattoos that actually have meaning / sentimental value??

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:42 pm

missv463 wrote:
A'nold wrote: LOL! This person's tatoos are so freakin' important that they had to decide to eliminate southern schools because of them?!

^^^^

haha... OP, i suppose comments/thoughts like this are another reason why you should keep your tattoos as discreet as possible.
:roll: sigh, who would have thought that some people get tattoos that actually have meaning / sentimental value??
Yeah, who woulda' thought that some people feel the need to be that much more special. OP, you don't need a new tat. You already are that unique of a snowflake. No one will ever be just like you. I thought tats were mainstream now anyways.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:43 pm

I have forearm pieces and worked at a firm. No one was the wiser, but I did hate the heat on some days. Just make your decision with these things in mind; I do not think you should automatically cross them off the list though. There is also the fact that 30 years ago a tattoo anywhere would have been socially frowned upon. Society is getting more liberal, not less.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Oh, and for the record, my best LOR is from a judge who has seen my forearm tat on a daily basis for the last few years. Not everyone is an ignorant prejudicial douche.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndemmons

New

Post by ndemmons » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Kaywinnit Lee wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Yes, and for many people, climate is an important factor when it's time to apply to/choose a school.

oteezy03

New

Post by oteezy03 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:56 pm

A'nold wrote:
Kaywinnit Lee wrote:
A'nold wrote:

I knew the word "important" would be taken the wrong way. I couldn't come up with the right word and though it was a usable substitute.....aparently not.

What I was saying is that having certain tattoos has such an impact on her life that she had to choose certain schools to apply to based on the ability to hide said tattoos comfortably. I am laughing because this ties into op's question perfectly. The answer is hell no, do not get a sleeve. It is not worth it. Not to mention the 99% chance it will be ugly and or not make up for your ugliness already, just make it worse.
Wtf are you talking about? Personally, I have never met anyone with a full sleeve tat that has it too make up for their 'ugliness'. Have you? The butterfly tattoo on your girlfriend's lower back might be serving that purpose, but come on...

To OP:
Coming from someone who has tat's and wants more, I would say put your priorities in line. For most PI, local government, or small firm wrist tattoos will be fine - get 'em! If your goal in life is to do years of corporate law, for example, defending employers who cut folks loose because they got a tattoo, then obviously your wrist tat's will work against you in such a conservative environment. If you want to work for truth and justice and help people out, or even just work in a less soul-crushing environment than biglaw, then I'll see you in this group in a few years: --LinkRemoved--.

ihatelaw

Bronze

Post by ihatelaw » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:02 pm

i have a few tattoos (chest, arms), nothing that extends below the elbows. id think twice before going to the forearms because too many people have preconceived notions about tattoos and people with them. however, i will say that my former employer and the lawyers working at the firm had no problem with my tattoo. neither did my clients. that being said, i worked for a nonprofit (most of my clients were not criminals, people with tattoos, or drug addicts. some of my clients were upper-middle class or wealthy and had no problems with them either). biglaw will clearly be different.

if you do want a tattoo on your forearm or a sleeve, dont go below the 3/4 mark. once you're past a 3/4 sleeve, tattoos can be visible even in long sleeve shirts. if you do get a tattoo on your forearm, make it...tasteful. a pin up, bloody snitch knife, gun, skull, etc would probably not help your situation.

plenty of people have tattoos, even in business and law. people are more open minded about tattoos now then before. they will continue to be more open minded about it as our generation fills in the ranks. hopefully, people will one day accept tattoos completely since abilities should matter more than appearance. until then keep em hidden.

Not to mention the 99% chance it will be ugly and or not make up for your ugliness already, just make it worse.
you're a douche.

cameronfraser88

New

Post by cameronfraser88 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:04 pm

I have tattoos on my forearms as well. It's not a big deal I usually just cover them up for important things and then once my boss is comfortable with me or vice versa I let them show and I've never had any bad reactions. Tattoos are becoming more and more popular in the workplace as more and more people are getting tatted up. Granted when dealing with clients or individuals where first impression is key, it's best to avoid showing them how you got a pirate tattoo on your forearm while you were drunk in Texas.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Don't do it.
Last edited by drew on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wondermut206

New

Post by wondermut206 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:10 pm

On the arms stay the length of a polo style shirt sleeve and you should be fine.

wendyone

New

Post by wendyone » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:13 pm

DCD wrote:a tattoo on your lower arm does not look unprofessional.. it simply IS unprofessional.
Particularly if the tattoo is of the word

"Unprofessional."

Actually, that's an interesting experiment.

Anyone who was really flippant about the matter could get a tattoo in a visible place that said "Professionalism 1st" (with the numeral one) for the sake of amusement and as a social experiment.

That would make me happy.

Otherwise, I say get as many tattoos as you can cover up with comfortable clothes (cashmere turtleneck in July?)

ihatelaw

Bronze

Post by ihatelaw » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Otherwise, I say get as many tattoos as you can cover up with comfortable clothes (cashmere turtleneck in July?)
im not sure what would be more unpleasant...the long term wearing of a turtleneck in july or actually getting a neck tattoo...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”