LOW GPA / HIGH LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RVP11

Gold

Re: LOW GPA / HIGH LSAT

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:35 pm

aigsrone wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Have some good work experience and decent LORs, because it's something you can do. Get high LSAT, because you need the numbers. Get thick skin, because you're automatically way below the 25th percentile GPA everywhere.

You may have a chance at Maryland; maybe try applying PT. I can't speak much to chances there. If you need to stay in the region, GMU is a good shot with a high LSAT. GW is probably too far gone for anything but a hail mary.

If region is flexible, definitely apply to WUSTL, UIUC, UIB, among others. These are likely your best targets for T25.

If the cycle is not to your satisfaction, then years of work experience is probably your best shot at improving your chances. You need the highest possible LSAT in any scenario. Take plenty of prep tests.

What are LORs?

What school do these stand for- WUSTL, UIUC, UIB?

Thanks.
LOR = Letter of Recommendation

WUSTL = Washington University in St. Louis

UIUC = University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign

UIB = should be IUB = Indiana University - Bloomington

See the TLS acronyms sticky page.

nn223

New

Post by nn223 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:57 pm

aigsrone wrote:My GPA is 2.309 and I graduated from University of Maryland. If i scored 170-180 on my LSAT can i get into a top law school or perhaps I would like to go to University of Maryland School of Law? What are my chances?

If you do go to Maryland, make sure you pack some heat. As soon as you set foot outside Maryland's law building, you are likely to get jumped and robbed by the locals.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:22 pm

nn223 wrote:
aigsrone wrote:My GPA is 2.309 and I graduated from University of Maryland. If i scored 170-180 on my LSAT can i get into a top law school or perhaps I would like to go to University of Maryland School of Law? What are my chances?

If you do go to Maryland, make sure you pack some heat. As soon as you set foot outside Maryland's law building, you are likely to get jumped and robbed by the locals.
At the very least you'll have toothless crackheads asking you for change. This is a certainty.

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:39 pm

Time out:
Are we really assuming this person is for real? Remember these questions are being asked in the lounge.

Also, some of the questions asked make me wonder if, assuming it is for real, a sufficiently high LSAT score would be plausible in the first instance.

aigsrone

New

Post by aigsrone » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Pyke wrote:Time out:
Are we really assuming this person is for real? Remember these questions are being asked in the lounge.

Also, some of the questions asked make me wonder if, assuming it is for real, a sufficiently high LSAT score would be plausible in the first instance.
I am for real. I have made an inference from this forum and from other website forums and on LSAC website with the UGPA/LSAT Calculator that it is plausible if I get a 170 or higher.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:41 pm

aigsrone wrote:
Pyke wrote:Time out:

I am for real. I have made an inference from this forum and from other website forums and on LSAC website with the UGPA/LSAT Calculator that it is plausible if I get a 170 or higher.
That calculator isn't great. But, with those inference skills, that should be no problem.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:42 pm

The higher you score the better school you'll get into and the better package you'll have. Do well on the test, then come back and let us know what you got.

SHS

New

Post by SHS » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi everyone. I'm currently a junior at a top 20 school with a 3.0 GPA. Haven't taken the LSAT yet, but aiming for a 170+. I already have my recommenders picked out, and have had some pretty great internships. I worked at a corporate law firm summer after my freshman year, and the Public Defender's Office in San Francisco after my sophomore year (I have a pretty good rec from my boss there). I'm looking at internships where I can improve my writing skills for the following summer. I have a tentative paralegal job offer upon graduation for a year after which I plan on attending law school. I'm a little worried about my GPA - I studied outside the US (I'm still a citizen, moved when I was young) which was why I had a hard time adjusting to the education system. I'm considering the Northwestern ED package, and NYU, Penn and Columbia are other top contenders - chance me?

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:18 pm

SHS wrote:Hi everyone. I'm currently a junior at a top 20 school with a 3.0 GPA. Haven't taken the LSAT yet, but aiming for a 170+. I already have my recommenders picked out, and have had some pretty great internships. I worked at a corporate law firm summer after my freshman year, and the Public Defender's Office in San Francisco after my sophomore year (I have a pretty good rec from my boss there). I'm looking at internships where I can improve my writing skills for the following summer. I have a tentative paralegal job offer upon graduation for a year after which I plan on attending law school. I'm a little worried about my GPA - I studied outside the US (I'm still a citizen, moved when I was young) which was why I had a hard time adjusting to the education system. I'm considering the Northwestern ED package, and NYU, Penn and Columbia are other top contenders - chance me?
Spend your last year getting your GPA up, and actually take the LSAT and come back with a score.. then we can give you a better idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:03 pm

I love when LSAT-less posters bump not relevant 8 year old threads.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:32 pm

SHS wrote:Hi everyone. I'm currently a junior at a top 20 school with a 3.0 GPA. Haven't taken the LSAT yet, but aiming for a 170+. I already have my recommenders picked out, and have had some pretty great internships. I worked at a corporate law firm summer after my freshman year, and the Public Defender's Office in San Francisco after my sophomore year (I have a pretty good rec from my boss there). I'm looking at internships where I can improve my writing skills for the following summer. I have a tentative paralegal job offer upon graduation for a year after which I plan on attending law school. I'm a little worried about my GPA - I studied outside the US (I'm still a citizen, moved when I was young) which was why I had a hard time adjusting to the education system. I'm considering the Northwestern ED package, and NYU, Penn and Columbia are other top contenders - chance me?
This question has been asked and answered thousands of times. If you get an amazing LSAT, you can get into those schools. If you don't you won't. You are asking us to solve an equation with 70% of the variables missing. Come back when you have an LSAT score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”