Brooklyn Vs Hofstra Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thefossilcrew

New

Re: Brooklyn Vs Hofstra

Post by thefossilcrew » Fri May 22, 2009 12:39 pm

yo111 wrote:Once again BROOKLYN or HOFSTRA?

dude I already answered it for you above ^^^^^^^^^^^^

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:42 pm

BLS definitely

...as long as you can continue to work...you will keep/continue to expand business contacts while padding the debt burden...i feel location/potential job prospects are better...i am nowhere near the BLS hater that are all over this thread, as I have two friends who are in very comfortable positions (one mid law and earning above than the range stated in this thread, and one in house at pfizer) after recently graduating from bls

hofstra scholarship not guaranteed for all 3 years and you are stuck on out on long island, which i can not forsee being beneficial in any way except for COL, but at this point who cares for a few thousand extra/yr

jrod

New

Post by jrod » Fri May 22, 2009 12:43 pm

Brooklyn. Biglaw is unlikely, though. But, in a situation where Biglaw is unlikely, and you want to be a lawyer in the city, no other school in NYC is as adept at placing, and has a comparable alumni network, as BLS -- and I include Cardozo in the category. Ignore these elitists. 180K will be a monstrous challenge, but Hofstra is in Long Island. You didn't even get any need grants from BLS?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 22, 2009 12:49 pm

f0bolous wrote:
if they'd fire you for job hunting, why wouldn't they in this case? heading out of the office at 6pm every couple of nights a week when everyone else is working to meet deadlines would be a fireable offense. i'm already finding it difficult to study for the lsat; i couldn't imagine trying to take ls classes clandestinely.
Ouch! I'm sure your job rocks, but I don't think I could handle that. I made shit at this job, but I got to work remotely and set my own hours. I'll never have this much freedom again.

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:50 pm

Just got in the other day. But I am working on the need based grant thanks for giving a normal answer
jrod wrote:Brooklyn. Biglaw is unlikely, though. But, in a situation where Biglaw is unlikely, and you want to be a lawyer in the city, no other school in NYC is as adept at placing, and has a comparable alumni network, as BLS -- and I include Cardozo in the category. Ignore these elitists. 180K will be a monstrous challenge, but Hofstra is in Long Island. You didn't even get any need grants from BLS?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:51 pm

How much do in-houses make
jrock12 wrote:BLS definitely

...as long as you can continue to work...you will keep/continue to expand business contacts while padding the debt burden...i feel location/potential job prospects are better...i am nowhere near the BLS hater that are all over this thread, as I have two friends who are in very comfortable positions (one mid law and earning above than the range stated in this thread, and one in house at pfizer) after recently graduating from bls

hofstra scholarship not guaranteed for all 3 years and you are stuck on out on long island, which i can not forsee being beneficial in any way except for COL, but at this point who cares for a few thousand extra/yr

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:55 pm

yo111 wrote:How much do in-houses make
jrock12 wrote:BLS definitely

enough to live in a pretty kick ass 1br in a doorman building on the UWS, and buy your g/f a decent little ring...

seriously though, in all honesty, i'm not 100% sure...not good enough of a friend to talk deets like that....but i do know the in-house thing is not all that typical right out of school

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 22, 2009 12:59 pm

jrod wrote:Brooklyn. Biglaw is unlikely, though. But, in a situation where Biglaw is unlikely, and you want to be a lawyer in the city, no other school in NYC is as adept at placing, and has a comparable alumni network, as BLS -- and I include Cardozo in the category. Ignore these elitists. 180K will be a monstrous challenge, but Hofstra is in Long Island. You didn't even get any need grants from BLS?
My criticism is leveled at the BLS administration. I feel the school has been dishonest on a number of issues. However, I have several friends heading there in August (all PI bound), and I think they'll do just fine. If I had a choice in the matter, I'd take Cardozo, though.

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Still waiting on Cardozo. What do you think are my chances 3.66 and a 160?
OperaSoprano wrote:
My criticism is leveled at the BLS administration. I feel the school has been dishonest on a number of issues. However, I have several friends heading there in August (all PI bound), and I think they'll do just fine. If I had a choice in the matter, I'd take Cardozo, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 pm

yo111 wrote:Still waiting on Cardozo. What do you think are my chances 3.66 and a 160?
OperaSoprano wrote:
LSAT is on the low end...should have done the may program

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 22, 2009 1:08 pm

yo111 wrote:Still waiting on Cardozo. What do you think are my chances 3.66 and a 160?
OperaSoprano wrote:
Are you waitlisted, or have you not heard anything? If it were any earlier in the year, I would point you toward the May start program. I know several 160s and 161s who have been accepted. Orientation started yesterday, I believe. It's possible that there is still space in the program. I would contact the school if you are interested.

Jrock beat me to it. Good call, classmate.

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:18 pm

I did not hear anthing from them but when I called they asked me if I can come down came down met with them and now I am waiting
OperaSoprano wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Are you waitlisted, or have you not heard anything? If it were any earlier in the year, I would point you toward the May start program. I know several 160s and 161s who have been accepted. Orientation started yesterday, I believe. It's possible that there is still space in the program. I would contact the school if you are interested.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 22, 2009 1:22 pm

yo111 wrote:I did not hear anything from them but when I called they asked me if I can come down came down met with them and now I am waiting
Oh my, good luck! I hope they give you my spot! Waiting is horrific.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:27 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

the great ones always think alike

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:28 pm

Tell me about it?

trampolinez0r

New

Post by trampolinez0r » Fri May 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Do not go to law school -> Profit.

Problem solved.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri May 22, 2009 1:52 pm

I think, personally, Ops career goals are way out of line with reality no matter which of these two schools Op attends... So honestly.. Either one is probably a bad choice for what you want.. So I'd look to minimize debt while making a massive mistake.. But thats just me and I lack the blind enthusiasm of a 0L, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 22, 2009 1:59 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I think, personally, Ops career goals are way out of line with reality no matter which of these two schools Op attends... So honestly.. Either one is probably a bad choice for what you want.. So I'd look to minimize debt while making a massive mistake.. But thats just me and I lack the blind enthusiasm of a 0L, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
RM, I'm curious: How far up the food chain would he have to go to make this worthwhile, in your opinion?

OP: PM fluffy or deadatheist if you are considering Cardozo May start. They both can tell you way more than I can!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri May 22, 2009 2:01 pm

rayiner wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:If the OP, ends up in "shitlaw" or "smallLaw" or whatever, I don't think thats a horrible thing either. I guess it depends on your standards. ShitLaw folks start out around 60K and after a few years, they are makin 6 figures... whats wrong with that? better than working a hot dog stand.
Yes, it is. It is not, however, better than being a CPA!
Actually, hot dog stand without any debt is a decent gig. Just recently saw an article about a guy who is doing quite well with his stand.

I would say:

hot dog stand (free ride) > shitlaw (180k debt)

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri May 22, 2009 2:03 pm

OP is a flame, by the way. Straight from JDU.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:24 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:All I was really trying to say is that BLS won't ruin the OP's life. That is taking it way too far. First of all, he wants to do PT. I hope the OP plans on working to offset the costs. Maybe the employer can pay some of the tuition?

I am a 0L, so if you say there is no Midlaw, then fine. My friends in the Nyc legal market, told me there was, but I am not going to argue this too much.

If the OP, ends up in "shitlaw" or "smallLaw" or whatever, I don't think thats a horrible thing either. I guess it depends on your standards. ShitLaw folks start out around 60K and after a few years, they are makin 6 figures... whats wrong with that? better than working a hot dog stand.
HAHAHA okkk... Try startnig between 40 and 60k and making 80 after 5 years bud... get real ok.

agian, im a 0L, so i dont know for sure. I kno a real person in real life who did this, but i guess thats an anomaly too, huh?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri May 22, 2009 2:26 pm

Some firms do recruit pretty hard out of Hofstra:

--LinkRemoved--{6CB7DF72-2FE1-43BE-91C9-20D2CDD52058}&Position=All

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 22, 2009 2:40 pm

nitsudrx wrote:OP is a flame, by the way. Straight from JDU.
Nitsu, are you sure? People were discussing this on JDU, but OP didn't seem in on it.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:47 pm

BLS > Fordham.

*practical joke on OS. 8)

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Fri May 22, 2009 2:51 pm

I don't think OP is a flame.

But besides that, this is one is easy people. Thank God I got here in time.

OP, take the scholarship and go to Hofstra for a year. If you rock it out and are above that 3.25, you may even have a decent shot at a transfer up in the the Fordham neck of the woods, or higher.

If you don't meet the requirement... YOU GET THE FUCK OUT!!! Go do taxes and enjoy the money you'll make there. You can be happy knowing at least you tried and it didn't cost you squat!!

There. Now was that really so difficult people? Opera, you know I love you! RM... keepin' in reasonable! Nitsurdrx... you know I loves me some Pho.

God I'm fucking good at this shit!

Matlock OUT!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”