The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
superflush

Silver

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by superflush » Mon May 25, 2009 1:08 am

disco_barred wrote:
djshack wrote: Vista is really not that bad, especially on a new computer that can handle it. Just toughen up and try it out. Then install Windows 7 RC 1right now for free

Fixed.
You'll still need to buy it eventually though, right?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Mon May 25, 2009 1:20 am

-KommonOddity_ wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
superflush wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:Vaios are total garbage. Sony loads more garbage software onto their computers than most of the other manufacturers.
They're just really expensive. They do give you an option to have a fresh install of the OS for free. So, you can get it without the crapware.
Last summer I actually bought one of the really nice HP desktops...the d5000t, I believe. The only software it came with was Vista and a 1 year subscription to Symantec. It was so nice getting it without all the additional crap...
I consider Vista crap
Only if you're mentally retarded and/or incapable of properly operating a computer.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon May 25, 2009 12:23 pm

djshack wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:Here's what I'm looking at in my T400:
System components:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2) 25W
Genuine Windows Vista Business with Windows XP Professional Downgrade****
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with vPro
3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
Express Card Slot & PC Card Slot
Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
9 cell Li-Ion Battery

I like XP a lot and have it on my Desktop, hence the downgrade. Also, is the Recordable DVD thing necessary or only if you want to make data DVDs? I don't know if I'll need that. I also checked adding the Turbo Memory hard drive cache but no DVD thing and that was less money. I may do that instead - more speed rather than burning capabilities. Any other reccommendations/suggestions?
You should not downgrade to XP. You're going back in time to 2002, and in computer years, that's a VERY long time. Microsoft is soon going to stop supporting it somewhat.

Vista is really not that bad, especially on a new computer that can handle it. Just toughen up and try it out. Then buy Windows 7 when it comes out and be happy.
So if I kept Vista, what are those programs that can be removed to help system optimization? I'll probably just get AVG instead of Norton/MacAfee. Also, thoughts on the DVD Recordable feature? I can't see myself needing it and would rather save the money and get the Turbo Memory Cache.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon May 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Here's my final set-up:

Processor1 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2) 25W
Operating system12 Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
Operating system language Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium US English
System graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
Total memory8 3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
Keyboard Keyboard US English
Pointing device UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
Hard drive4 160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
Intel® Turbo Memory hard drive cache Intel Turbo Memory 2GB
Optical device5 CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
System expansion slots Express Card Slot & PC Card Slot
Wireless card10 Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
Mobile Broadband Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
Battery60 9 cell Li-Ion Battery
Power cord Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter
Language pack Language Pack US English

And only $922. I think that's pretty good.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon May 25, 2009 1:06 pm

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of purchasing a mac. The Back to School promotion is expected to be launched either this week or next. Supposedly it will include 8gb iPhones as well as iPods. While this is still just a rumor, last years promotion started June 3rd, so the wait will be well worth it.

Edit: Apple World Wide Developers Conference is taking place June 8-12. iPhone updates are almost guaranteed, notebook bumps may happen (though it isn't likely). It may be a good idea to wait until after this to make sure you get the latest and greatest.
Last edited by dextermorgan on Mon May 25, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Mon May 25, 2009 1:10 pm

how long does the promotion last?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon May 25, 2009 1:12 pm

jpin22 wrote:how long does the promotion last?
Usually until mid September.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Mon May 25, 2009 1:20 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:Here's my final set-up:

Processor1 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2) 25W
Operating system12 Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
Operating system language Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium US English
System graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
Total memory8 3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
Keyboard Keyboard US English
Pointing device UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
Hard drive4 160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
Intel® Turbo Memory hard drive cache Intel Turbo Memory 2GB
Optical device5 CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
System expansion slots Express Card Slot & PC Card Slot
Wireless card10 Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
Mobile Broadband Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
Battery60 9 cell Li-Ion Battery
Power cord Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter
Language pack Language Pack US English

And only $922. I think that's pretty good.
Did you get the discrete or integrated graphics?

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:03 pm

So, I received my Samsung NC10 netbook last week. Played with it for a week or so. Tried to convince myself that it would work perfectly for me for law school. But at the end of today, it was just TOO SMALL! My palms rested halfway off the frame, which ended up cutting off the circulation to my hands. I'm sure the 9 cell battery would have been great, but if my hands were too fatigued because of the cutting off of the circulation to keep up with the 9 cell battery, then the 9 cell battery isn't much good. Additionally, the backspace key is much smaller than most keyboards, which meant I usually hit the = sign about 3 times before I realized I wasn't hitting the backspace key. Also, I want to use ONE laptop for my school work, not switch back and forth between two. I don't think the Samsung NC10 could be my primary notebook.

So I ended up taking it back to a local Sam's Club today for a total refund (minus $6 shipping fee). I am now leaning towards the Toshiba Satellite E105 at Best Buy. It's pretty sweet for $800. According to the sales associate there, it is more rugged than any HP or Dell. So, that's what I'm leaning towards. I know many on here are all about the Lenovo T400, but I just don't see the draw. Can someone educate me? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon May 25, 2009 7:56 pm

UNC2009 wrote:So, I received my Samsung NC10 netbook last week. Played with it for a week or so. Tried to convince myself that it would work perfectly for me for law school. But at the end of today, it was just TOO SMALL!
Ah, I don't feel my NC10 is too small. But, I don't know about using it as a primary notebook for law school. I wasn't planning on doing that.

vut

New

Post by vut » Mon May 25, 2009 9:07 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:So if I kept Vista, what are those programs that can be removed to help system optimization? I'll probably just get AVG instead of Norton/MacAfee. Also, thoughts on the DVD Recordable feature? I can't see myself needing it and would rather save the money and get the Turbo Memory Cache.
What you should remove depends on the brand of computer. I work in tech support and we do this a lot. Why don't you send me a list of all programs when you receive your computer and I can help you to identify what to remove? The list of all programs can be accessed by typing "Programs and Features" into Vista's search bar. Screenshots work, too. It's a really simple process.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon May 25, 2009 10:07 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:So if I kept Vista, what are those programs that can be removed to help system optimization? I'll probably just get AVG instead of Norton/MacAfee.
TITCR. Thats the way to go.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon May 25, 2009 10:42 pm

this is a ridiculously good deal: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2289 - that exact laptop is currently also for sale on newegg.com for $1800 or something stupid like that, and most models on ebay are closer to 1300-1500 even if actually used.

it was released feb 2008 (at ~$3,000) to compete with the macbook air, but has much better usability. main concern would be the processor - it will absolutely be fast enough for office and word processing - but would ham string the computer it in terms of gaming and some other cpu intensive applications.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Mon May 25, 2009 11:25 pm

Is there any point in replacing my non-aluminum macbook, really? Or should I just pick up a netbook just for notes and exams?

truevines

Bronze

Post by truevines » Tue May 26, 2009 1:46 am

lex talionis wrote:Or should I just pick up a netbook just for notes and exams?
This is what I am doing now.

I just got an acer aspire one 8.9-inch netbook. Small and light enough I can carry it everywhere I go all day. My shoulders complain when I carry my white macbook.

I plan to use my little netbook for class notes only (along with the amazing OneNote).

I leave my macbook home, connecting to a 24-inch screen and I also have OneNote installed on my macbook via both VMWare and CrossOver so that I could edit my notes at home.

As for file sync, I am using dropbox. It automatically syncs my OneNote files on my netbook, my old dell and my macbook. I don't have to worry which files are the most recent.

topsome

New

Post by topsome » Tue May 26, 2009 1:53 am

disco_barred wrote:this is a ridiculously good deal: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2289 - that exact laptop is currently also for sale on newegg.com for $1800 or something stupid like that, and most models on ebay are closer to 1300-1500 even if actually used.

it was released feb 2008 (at ~$3,000) to compete with the macbook air, but has much better usability. main concern would be the processor - it will absolutely be fast enough for office and word processing - but would ham string the computer it in terms of gaming and some other cpu intensive applications.
THANK YOU FOR THIS! :D :D :D

I just built my Lenovo and was going to cry when it came out to $1900

IHeartNewYork

New

Post by IHeartNewYork » Tue May 26, 2009 1:55 am

truevines wrote:

I just got an acer aspire one 8.9-inch netbook. Small and light enough I can carry it everywhere I go all day. My shoulders complain when I carry my white macbook.

I plan to use my little netbook for class notes only (along with the amazing OneNote).

I leave my macbook home, connecting to a 24-inch screen and I also have OneNote installed on my macbook via both VMWare and CrossOver so that I could edit my notes at home.

As for file sync, I am using dropbox. It automatically syncs my OneNote files on my netbook, my old dell and my macbook. I don't have to worry which files are the most recent.
I'm going with a netbook as well (ordered a Dell mini 12 a while ago). Much easier for carrying around all day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

topsome

New

Post by topsome » Tue May 26, 2009 1:58 am

Do you think 64 GB is enough?

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue May 26, 2009 2:12 am

truevines wrote:

Thanks for that. I think a netbook is going to be the best bet for me. And if I hate my netbook, I'll just run bootcamp and upgrade to a 1TB external, since my UG gives out Vista Business for free.

Is OneNote really that much better than OmniOutliner?

kent

New

Post by kent » Tue May 26, 2009 2:31 am

have you ever tried typing on a netbook? it blows.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Tue May 26, 2009 2:55 am

Last edited by joshikousei on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

truevines

Bronze

Post by truevines » Tue May 26, 2009 3:26 am

lex talionis wrote:Is OneNote really that much better than OmniOutliner?
The only problem with OmniOutliner is that it runs only on Mac OS. You either have to take your hefty macbook to every class or you should get a Macbook Air. OO cannot run on a 400-buck shitty netbook. (I know some tech gurus successfully installed Mac OS X on a netbook. But that is illegal and not worth your time.)

If you can afford a Macbook + Macbook Air or you are strong enough to carry the Macbook everywhere every day, OO is the best. I like OO more than OneNote.

Price:
Macbook Air: 1799
Two copies of OO: 40*2
or
One copy of OO: 40
+ wear and tear of my shoulders and knees

But if you are shy of money like me and can use only macbook/netbook combo, I think OneNote is the way to go. It runs on both macbook(VMWare/CrossOver/BootCamp) and the netbook(Windows XP) and you can sync your notes easily with some online storage services (Dropbox: free, 2GB space. It automatically remotely backs up and syncs your files between different computers, be it a Mac, Windows or Linux. You still can use your files when you don't have any network connection. You can undo changes of your files through its version tracking tools.).

Price:
Netbook: $400
OneNote: Free (my school offers free downloads)

a) BootCamp: Free plus any cost of Windows. (My school offers free Windows downloads)
b) CrossOver: Free (Earlier last year, the author of CrossOver offered free downloads.) You don't need Windows if you use CrossOver. It runs Office 2007 and OneNote 2007 smoothly.
c) VMWare: $40 (plus any cost of Windows)

For me, it cost me only $440 to get the whole suite (I use VMWare).

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue May 26, 2009 3:40 am

truevines wrote:
lex talionis wrote:Is OneNote really that much better than OmniOutliner?
The only problem with OmniOutliner is that it runs only on Mac OS. You either have to take your hefty macbook to every class or you should get a Macbook Air. OO cannot run on a 400-buck shitty netbook. (I know some tech gurus successfully installed Mac OS X on a netbook. But that is illegal and not worth your time.)

If you can afford a Macbook + Macbook Air or you are strong enough to carry the Macbook everywhere every day, OO is the best. I like OO more than OneNote.

Price:
Macbook Air: 1799
Two copies of OO: 40*2
or
One copy of OO: 40
+ tears and wears of my shoulders and knees

But if you are shy of money like me and can use only macbook/netbook combo, I think OneNote is the way to go. It runs on both macbook(VMWare/CrossOver/BootCamp) and the netbook(Windows XP) and you can sync your notes easily with some online storage services (Dropbox: free, 2GB space. It automatically remotely backs up and syncs your files between different computers, be it a Mac, Windows or Linux. You still can use your files when you don't have any network connection. You can undo changes of your files through its version tracking tools.).

Price:
Netbook: $400
OneNote: Free (my school offers free downloads)

a) BootCamp: Free plus any cost of Windows. (My school offers free Windows downloads)
b) CrossOver: Free (Earlier last year, the author of CrossOver offered free downloads.) You don't need Windows if you use CrossOver. It runs Office 2007 and OneNote 2007 smoothly.
c) VMWare: $40 (plus any cost of Windows)

For me, it cost me only $440 to get the whole suite (I use VMWare).
Ahhh v. informative, thanks!

So it probs will be netbook + macbook. Now to decide on a netbook...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue May 26, 2009 6:33 am

lex talionis wrote:Is there any point in replacing my non-aluminum macbook, really? Or should I just pick up a netbook just for notes and exams?
Eh, its up to you. Make sure you find a netbook you'd be comfortable typing notes on before you commit to that route.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue May 26, 2009 6:38 am

joshikousei wrote:the samsung nc10s aren't bad for typing - something like 90-95% full keyboard, i.e. no difference for someone who has small hands
Yes, I'm finding it not much different from my last notebook. Just a tad smaller, really.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”