The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
superflush

Silver

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by superflush » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:30 pm

hoffb86 wrote:Does the new macbook already have the new version of snow leopard on it? (sorry prolly a stupid question)....or, if i buy it now, will i have to pay for that upgrade?
Actually, not a stupid question, as it looks like they do not.
But see this:
sheltron5000 wrote:Apple's pricing plan for Snow Leopard upgrades is out! $9.95 (incl. shipping) for everyone who buys after June 8th and release, $29.95 (also incl. shipping) for all other Leopard owners.

lucydog

New

Post by lucydog » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:31 pm

absworkoutplan wrote:Ok, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I was wondering if anyone knew a good laptop I could/should customize and purchase with these specifications:

6 GB or more of RAM (I want to be able to have a TON of shit open and running concurrently)
a very good dual core, or a quad core processor (this is probably too expensive)
512 MB video card (or more, but that's rare from what i've seen)
14-16 inch screen size (i'm used a 17-inch dell so I dont want to go too small).
should last all 3 years of law school

I want to use the laptop for law school, but also for gaming during winter/summer (Starcraft II/ Diablo III/others on high settings). I have a budget of around $2,000, but it can be a bit higher. I was also wondering if packing in that much performance would kill the battery life quickly (but i've heard there are sockets almost everywhere). I would appreciate some feedback.
If you are willing to shell out 2k, I would suggest that you look at something that is both portable and capable. The Sony Z series or the LG XNOTE P310 (I am not sure if they sell this in the US) would be good choices.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Objection wrote:
HAZMAT wrote:Did you read the links I supplied, Objection? The SSD is not a good deal on the new MBPs (at least currently). They don't take advantage of the speed. I'd wait a while, just in case Apple announces a firmware update that will return the SATA to 3.0... Otherwise, the SSD will be a waste of money.
I read the links, and the understanding right now is that

1) there will be no noticeable effect on every day usage.
2) It's a firmware rather than a hardware problem
Random read/write performance actually contributes to your system feeling fast more than anything else. These are the sorts of transactions that happen when you’re launching applications or searching for files. Sequential read/write transactions happen when you’re copying large files to/from your drive. The latter is less common than the former for most users but that’s why you don’t see the 1.5Gbps issue really impacting real world performance on the new MacBook Pro.

All three of the SSDs in the table above would be interface limited on the new MBP because of their high sequential read speeds. If you were copying large files from the SSD in your MacBook to a similarly fast device, the transfers could take longer. I doubt the performance difference would be significant or noticeable in real world notebook usage, but it doesn’t change that there’s no reason to take a step backwards like that. In the coming years we’ll see more drives that can consistently break 150MB/s; Apple artificially limiting performance today would just hinder progress.
So the noticeable bottleneck is when you're transferring large files from the SSD to another device that supports speeds above 1.5 gbps. At least that's how I'm reading it. Now much of a concern for me.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3582&p=2
This I think is similar to what you guys are talking about, although it seems the opposite of what was being said. I think I'm missing something here. Or I'm just not paying close enough attention.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/15/new- ... ata-chips/

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:45 pm

superflush wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:Does the new macbook already have the new version of snow leopard on it? (sorry prolly a stupid question)....or, if i buy it now, will i have to pay for that upgrade?
Actually, not a stupid question, as it looks like they do not.
But see this:
sheltron5000 wrote:Apple's pricing plan for Snow Leopard upgrades is out! $9.95 (incl. shipping) for everyone who buys after June 8th and release, $29.95 (also incl. shipping) for all other Leopard owners.
Thanks. So it will be $9.95, could be worse.... I'm thinking about buying the macbook 13" this weekend! This way, I can learn how to use it over the next couple months!

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:23 am

160GB hard drive on the macbook 13", or do I spend the $45 to go up to 250GB? Can't decide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:26 am

I'd go as high as you see fit.
I'll personally go for the 500gb.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:30 am

hoffb86 wrote:160GB hard drive on the macbook 13", or do I spend the $45 to go up to 250GB? Can't decide.
i think you and i have been on the same wavelength throughout this thread, and we both finally came to the conclusion these mbps are pretty irresistible, eh? good luck if you get yours soon... and let me know what you think!

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:34 am

superflush wrote:I'd go as high as you see fit.
well, its a question of whether or not it is necessary.... I have a 300gb external... so is there any reason to get a bigger HD on the macbook?

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:38 am

deadatheist wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:160GB hard drive on the macbook 13", or do I spend the $45 to go up to 250GB? Can't decide.
i think you and i have been on the same wavelength throughout this thread, and we both finally came to the conclusion these mbps are pretty irresistible, eh? good luck if you get yours soon... and let me know what you think!
yes, we have been going through a similar decision. I think i am going to get the macbook on saturday... just picking out final details... free printer, and free ipod touch, plus the education discount, really make it pretty competitive price-wise. and you can't beat the performance and reliability. I'm pretty excited about it. Hoping they keep them in stock at the store, so i can pick it up, i dont like to wait for stuff to ship! instant gratification ftw!

Will let u know if i get it and what i think, but i spent 2 hours at the apple store today fooling around with them, and really liked it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:45 am

* on the hard drive thing I decided to get the processor and ram upgrades instead of worrying too much about increasing the hard drive... external h/ds ftw

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:54 am

hoffb86 wrote:
well, its a question of whether or not it is necessary.... I have a 300gb external... so is there any reason to get a bigger HD on the macbook?
is your 300gb full? 100gb is really a lot of storage. For most people who aren't downloading too many movie and music files, the standard 160gb is more than enough. It'll certainly fit all the programs and document files you'll ever need.

dlindqui

New

Post by dlindqui » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:55 am

HAZMAT wrote:Did you read the links I supplied, Objection? The SSD is not a good deal on the new MBPs (at least currently). They don't take advantage of the speed. I'd wait a while, just in case Apple announces a firmware update that will return the SATA to 3.0... Otherwise, the SSD will be a waste of money.
Only a few SSDs transfer faster than the capabilities of the SATA I 1.5 gigabit/s. The ones i am aware of are the Intel x-25M and the OCZ Vertex drives. Being able to use SATA II technology is not the only advantage to these drives, although it would be very frustrating.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:58 am

sheltron5000 wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:
is your 300gb full? 100gb is really a lot of storage. For most people who aren't downloading too many movie and music files, the standard 160gb is more than enough. It'll certainly fit all the programs and document files you'll ever need.
my external is practically empty actually, so I should be fine with the 160gb + the 300 on the external, i think...

Yay - I just finished pricing it all out... now to see if i can get it at the store and avoid having it shipped! going to try and get it saturday!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:59 am

kiwislug wrote:* on the hard drive thing I decided to get the processor and ram upgrades instead of worrying too much about increasing the hard drive... external h/ds ftw
I have to agree with this. Processor upgrade is the only thing you can't do after buying the computer. The difference between the lower priced 13" and the higher priced one more than makes itself up in hdd space, ram, and processor.

dlindqui

New

Post by dlindqui » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:03 am

Last edited by dlindqui on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:10 am

hoffb86 wrote:well, its a question of whether or not it is necessary.... I have a 300gb external... so is there any reason to get a bigger HD on the macbook?
I don't know, I think there is something to be said about being able to fit your whole itunes library and all your photos on the laptop itself.. and not having to store some on the external. Also, who knows how much bigger my stuff will be in a few years. I'd rather go for a big hard drive, and know it has more than enough room. And that way, I can use a new external to have enough room to back up the entire laptop and then some.

yodawgsup

New

Post by yodawgsup » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:18 am

Any thoughts on the 13" MBP versus the 15"?

With all the reading I'll be doing come fall, would it not be better to splurge for the 15" and save my eyes in the process? Or is the $500 dollar difference simply too much once one accounts for the decrease in portability? I was at the Mac store today, actually, and preferred the 15" model -- the caveat being, of course, that I haven't had to carry the 15" model daily yet.

I plan to use the computer to surf the internet, listen to music, and for law school. That's it. Am I right in thinking the 15" and its price tag might be overkill?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:31 am

yodawgsup wrote:Any thoughts on the 13" MBP versus the 15"?
Yea, I think a lot of people are thinking about it.

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:16 am

dlindqui wrote:
Only a few SSDs transfer faster than the capabilities of the SATA I 1.5 gigabit/s. The ones i am aware of are the Intel x-25M and the OCZ Vertex drives. Being able to use SATA II technology is not the only advantage to these drives, although it would be very frustrating.
One of those advantages is not losing two days worth of work on your memo the week it is due because your laptop took an extra 30 seconds to shutdown after being closed (disk still spinning while in bag that a sudden, even slight, bump turns your drive into a 'clicker').

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:20 am

hoffb86 wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:
my external is practically empty actually, so I should be fine with the 160gb + the 300 on the external, i think...

Yay - I just finished pricing it all out... now to see if i can get it at the store and avoid having it shipped! going to try and get it saturday!
Damn hoff, you must have really missed DC++... :lol:

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:36 am

superflush wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:well, its a question of whether or not it is necessary.... I have a 300gb external... so is there any reason to get a bigger HD on the macbook?
I don't know, I think there is something to be said about being able to fit your whole itunes library and all your photos on the laptop itself.. and not having to store some on the external. Also, who knows how much bigger my stuff will be in a few years. I'd rather go for a big hard drive, and know it has more than enough room. And that way, I can use a new external to have enough room to back up the entire laptop and then some.
a good point, I can upgrade to 250gb for $45. I feel like i wouldn't need bigger than that, plus the external.... thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:38 am

coolkatz321 wrote: Damn hoff, you must have really missed DC++... :lol:
I've been borrowing my mom's laptop (which I actually bought her) for months now, because my laptop from college died, and I knew I would be getting a new one for school. So, I want to get her's back to her soon!

And yes, I do miss being able to download music, I haven't really added programs or anything to my mom's computer. (DC++ included)

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 am

Still leaning towards the 15" Macbook pro... someone convience me otherwise...

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:55 am

jadedV wrote:Still leaning towards the 15" Macbook pro... someone convience me otherwise...
13" with an external monitor is how I'm leaning.

I think I can plug and play a "PC" style external monitor and not have to get one through mac.

This way, I get the small and light convenience when in class, but when writing, or needing to see better, have the monitor. Best of both worlds.

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:08 am

jadedV wrote:Still leaning towards the 15" Macbook pro... someone convience me otherwise...

the 13" is quite honestly plenty big. if you're looking at the bigger screen for gaming or whatever, i'd probably do as someone already said and get an external monitor. as far as i'm concerned, the only reason to get the MBP is for the video card, which is a lot of added weight and heat while it's on. if you're not wanting to do gaming with the MBP, then get the 13". and if you are wanting to do gaming, i'd think real hard about just building a desktop for that purpose instead.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”