The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
superflush

Silver

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by superflush » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:28 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Definitely sounds promising. Wish it wasn't $120, but that's probably a fair price. Forget IE8, though. I'll stick with Firefox.
It was $50 for a while, but they sold out already.

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:18 pm

Sorry to bug again, but am I being crazy or is the friends and family discount no longer working? Does anyone know of anything similar?

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Thought I'd share a small bit of feedback about the mbp 13" I got: overall I'm really happy with it: I wanted a durable computer to cart around daily with a battery thatd last a majority of the day, and that's exactly what I got: the size and weight are perfect, and don't take up too much room in my bag in the case/sleeve. And though 13" may be small, I'm already really digging the trackpad's convenient pinch and zoom feature, or w.e. It's technically called- no strained eyes issues with that.

However, bc of the sleek design I've found it a little uncomfortable when I rest my wrists on the edge of the base like I normally do: it's a pretty sharp edge, so it's still taking me some getting used to to find that comfortable and functional, ergonomic position. I think I experience this probably bc I'm little (5'2) so my wrists hit where say, a larger person's palms might. I'm not really sure, just thought I'd share those thoughts though- this thread is awesome and I hope that can kind of help.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:14 pm

nope. 5'10" male here, I have the same issue. Eventually you get used to it.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:45 pm

Maybe you've little manhands :) Jk. Ya that's seriously my only complaint- It's not really an issue as much noe, but it does take some adjusting to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

356a

New

Post by 356a » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:25 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:nope. 5'10" male here, I have the same issue. Eventually you get used to it.
Same thing, and got used to it. took a while - several weeks. Now I no longer notice it.

the pinch zooming and three/four finger swipes are pretty amazing. go to the control panel - track pad - to figure out what they all do. Really useful.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:56 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:Forget IE8, though. I'll stick with Firefox.
Oh, I missed this part, yea forget IE

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:35 pm

Great news on the laptop scene:
Apple is bringing back a [strike]Matte[/strike] Anti-Glare option for the 15'' MBP.
So glad, as Matte screens are where its at.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/11/appl ... o-charges/

huarwfn

New

Post by huarwfn » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Does anyone do their exams on a netbook? I want to do an iMac/Samsung N10 combo (I'm a gamer, major multitasker, Mac user, and trying to get myself out of the habit of sitting in bed with my laptop), but it seems like most people lug the big laptop to exams. Is there a particular reason why? I have tiny hands and never get eye strain from a screen if that makes a difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:40 pm

huarwfn wrote:Does anyone do their exams on a netbook? I want to do an iMac/Samsung N10 combo
I guess you could do that. I have the NC10 now, but I'll be getting a MBP when I start law school.

daviddel03

New

Post by daviddel03 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:28 am

hey guys, i'm a bit of a newb when it comes to computers, but what do you all think of the lenovo G550:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834146706

Thanks!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:49 pm

superflush wrote:Great news on the laptop scene:
Apple is bringing back a [strike]Matte[/strike] Anti-Glare option for the 15'' MBP.
So glad, as Matte screens are where its at.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/11/appl ... o-charges/
I wish they'd bring that back for the 13" MBP.

My 2006 15" MBP is really showing it's age, but I don't really want to "upgrade" to a glossy screen.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:39 am

I can't believe this thread is back!
missinglink wrote:I don't really want to "upgrade" to a glossy screen.
Yea, don't get a glossy screen.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:07 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am considering an Asus UL80Vt-A1. Its a really good, ultra portable laptop, but I'm concerned about this...

1.3GHz Intel SU7300 Core 2 Duo Processor

Does the fact that its 1.3 GHz going to make it too slow. I don't want to do gaming, but I DO want to be able to run law school exam software and MS office with ZERO hiccups (or as close to that as any laptop can get).

SuperFreak

New

Post by SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 8:00 am

This was just posted; I swear it was. Can you guys suggest something cheap?

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Thu May 27, 2010 12:45 pm

legalease9 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am considering an Asus UL80Vt-A1. Its a really good, ultra portable laptop, but I'm concerned about this...

Does the fact that its 1.3 GHz going to make it too slow. I don't want to do gaming, but I DO want to be able to run law school exam software and MS office with ZERO hiccups (or as close to that as any laptop can get).
If you don't want to do gaming, you'll be fine. It's not just 1.3 ghz, it's Core duo, so it's at least 1.3 ghz x 2, but these days, it's more important to look at more than just sheer Ghz (stuff like front-side bus speed, etc.). According to reviews (you can look up video reviews of it in action on YouTube btw), that computer can handle playing HD videos fine, which is a sign that its processor will be more than enough for you.

Be wary, though, that a lot of ASUS's UL laptop models do NOT have cd drives, which could be a deal breaker if you need that for final exams and aren't able to find an external drive (which isn't hard). I'm not sure about that particular model you mentioned though (I've been eyeing the 13" model myself).. Check with your school, my law school does't do exams on cd drives but has us download the software so that is not a issue for me. You will have zero hiccups using the software you mentioned. It'll have no trouble handling 10 browser windows + microsoft office + your music player at the same time.

Those are solid laptops that have been getting great reviews. I'm certainly considering getting one for my 1L year.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:46 pm

burvowski wrote:
legalease9 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am considering an Asus UL80Vt-A1. Its a really good, ultra portable laptop, but I'm concerned about this...

If you don't want to do gaming, you'll be fine. It's not just 1.3 ghz, it's Core duo, so it's at least 1.3 ghz x 2, but these days, it's more important to look at more than just sheer Ghz (stuff like front-side bus speed, etc.). According to reviews (you can look up video reviews of it in action on YouTube btw), that computer can handle playing HD videos fine, which is a sign that its processor will be more than enough for you.

Be wary, though, that a lot of ASUS's UL laptop models do NOT have cd drives, which could be a deal breaker if you need that for final exams and aren't able to find an external drive (which isn't hard). I'm not sure about that particular model you mentioned though (I've been eyeing the 13" model myself).. Check with your school, my law school does't do exams on cd drives but has us download the software so that is not a issue for me. You will have zero hiccups using the software you mentioned. It'll have no trouble handling 10 browser windows + microsoft office + your music player at the same time.

Those are solid laptops that have been getting great reviews. I'm certainly considering getting one for my 1L year.
Cool thanks for the info. Acctually, the one I'm looking at has both a CD drive and 512 GB Video Card. And it's still pretty cheap ($750)! The only downside is that its heavier than the 13 by a pound.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Thu May 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Noob here.

Are there any potential compatibility problems that could arise if I use a PC at home (desktop), and a mac laptop?

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:31 am

rcharles wrote:Noob here.

Are there any potential compatibility problems that could arise if I use a PC at home (desktop), and a mac laptop?
Yes there are potential compatibility problems. LOTS of them. However, Mac and PC have become more and more compatible with eachother over the years. However, make SURE your Law School can handle mac for things such as exam software and the like. Many schools can, but some can't.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:33 am

Last edited by legalease9 on Fri May 28, 2010 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

goblue1646

New

Post by goblue1646 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:33 am

Is the only difference between the 13inch Macbook Pro and the normal Macbook the aluminum cover? Is there really no other difference? Because I love how the MBP looks, but is it worth an extra 200 bucks?!?!?!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Fri May 28, 2010 2:58 am

Yeah its definitely worth it. Can't beat a backlit keyboard and sturdiness of aluminum.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri May 28, 2010 5:55 am

goblue1646 wrote:Is the only difference between the 13inch Macbook Pro and the normal Macbook the aluminum cover? Is there really no other difference? Because I love how the MBP looks, but is it worth an extra 200 bucks?!?!?!
Yes. Never question whether it's worth it.
You should really up it to 15, get the matte screen, and an SSD.
Btw, Cram & Jam has officially started.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Fri May 28, 2010 6:45 am

goblue1646 wrote:Is the only difference between the 13inch Macbook Pro and the normal Macbook the aluminum cover? Is there really no other difference? Because I love how the MBP looks, but is it worth an extra 200 bucks?!?!?!
I dropped my aluminum Macbook. Huge dent, which slowly returned to normal. The plastic one would have been cracked, or worse. It's worth it.

Oh and the backlit keyboard is amazing. Once you have one you won't go back.

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Fri May 28, 2010 9:57 am

dextermorgan wrote:
I dropped my aluminum Macbook. Huge dent, which slowly returned to normal. The plastic one would have been cracked, or worse. It's worth it.

Oh and the backlit keyboard is amazing. Once you have one you won't go back.

My aluminum macbook has been dropped a few times, and it's not even dented. They're worth it.

That being said...should I be worried about taking exams on my mac using Bootcamp? Has anyone run into problems doing this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”