The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tree

New

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by Tree » Thu May 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Office 2007 will run on XP

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu May 07, 2009 3:52 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu May 07, 2009 5:26 pm

angiej wrote:I just want to confirm, and I think someone at some point, possibly through PM confirmed this for me but I forgot :oops: . . . . if I get a netbook, which has Windows XP can I install Microsoft 2007 as opposed to 2003? I get both from my school but want to do 2007.
Yes Office 2007 should work in XP. I've been using it in XP for over a year. Its a little slower and is somewhat of a memory hog. You might want to look into upgrading the RAM of your netbook to 2gb. But it will definitely work.

Buckeye

New

Post by Buckeye » Fri May 08, 2009 2:10 am

superflush wrote:
angiej wrote:I just want to confirm, and I think someone at some point, possibly through PM confirmed this for me but I forgot :oops: . . . . if I get a netbook, which has Windows XP can I install Microsoft 2007 as opposed to 2003? I get both from my school but want to do 2007.
Yes Office 2007 should work in XP. I've been using it in XP for over a year. Its a little slower and is somewhat of a memory hog. You might want to look into upgrading the RAM of your netbook to 2gb. But it will definitely work.
Haha, my netbook is a dinosaur now, only 0.5 gig :(

Its a champion though, runs Ubuntu and Open Office just fine.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Fri May 08, 2009 1:41 pm

superflush wrote:
Hmmm, I went to my schools website and it lists the requirements as:
Requirements Windows Server 2003 64-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows XP or Windows XP Professional 64-bit.

500 MHz processor, 256 MB of memory and 2 GB of disk space
Can I download withotu doing the upgrade from the 1g?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri May 08, 2009 4:04 pm

angiej wrote:Can I download withotu doing the upgrade from the 1g?
yea, I'd just recommend the upgrade it'd cost less than $25 if you buy the RAM on Amazon

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue May 12, 2009 8:58 am

superflush wrote:
angiej wrote:Can I download withotu doing the upgrade from the 1g?
yea, I'd just recommend the upgrade it'd cost less than $25 if you buy the RAM on Amazon
My acer aspire 10 came in super early (got it yesterday already) and I've been playing with it! Its really nice and I have not had any problems with the keyboard at all. I hardly even notice the smaller screen size except when I glance over at a normal size screen and compare. I'm really glad I got it but I will def be upgrading to the 2GB, every now and then it seems to lag a little bit when opening and closing different apps.

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:08 am

ok... i think i'm going back to the idea of getting a PC laptop instead of getting a macbook... macs are just a little too expensive!

i was thinking of getting a netbook AND a laptop, but because i'm getting a nice discount with my company, i think i'm going to go with the lenovo 12in laptop with an ultrabase... does anyone have any experience with these ultrabase things?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue May 12, 2009 11:23 am

This may be a silly question, but as a disclaimer, I don't know a whole lot about computers, memory, etc.

I can get photoshop as a free download from my undergrad website. From what I understand, photoshop takes up a lot of space and its probably not something I will use that often, but just occassionaly tinker with.

Can I download it to a flash drive or a portable hard drive and store it there? Obviously this means that when I want to use it, I must have the flash drive or portable hard drive plugged in to my computer I'm using it on, but can I do this as opposed to installing it to the hard drive of my computer, thus taking up space?

Will this work with other programs?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:31 am

Well, I just ordered a Thinkpad...amazing computer and at a great price (just under $1,000). For anyone looking to purchase a Thinkpad, get it through the Lenovo Contractor program--

http://www.lenovo.com/cpp

The password is 'familyandfriends'
Also, you can get an addition 5% off by using the code "USETSAVINGS"

It saves way more than the normal Lenovo site...I think my total savings were around $720.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Tue May 12, 2009 11:32 am

angiej wrote:This may be a silly question, but as a disclaimer, I don't know a whole lot about computers, memory, etc.

I can get photoshop as a free download from my undergrad website. From what I understand, photoshop takes up a lot of space and its probably not something I will use that often, but just occassionaly tinker with.

Can I download it to a flash drive or a portable hard drive and store it there? Obviously this means that when I want to use it, I must have the flash drive or portable hard drive plugged in to my computer I'm using it on, but can I do this as opposed to installing it to the hard drive of my computer, thus taking up space?

Don't do this. Photoshop does not take that much space. The program files folder on my computer is 300MB. It looks like the CS4 download from Adobe is 800MB. If you don't have room for that, you need a new computer because it probably won't even run Photoshop.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue May 12, 2009 11:51 am

bigben wrote:
angiej wrote:This may be a silly question, but as a disclaimer, I don't know a whole lot about computers, memory, etc.

Don't do this. Photoshop does not take that much space. The program files folder on my computer is 300MB. It looks like the CS4 download from Adobe is 800MB. If you don't have room for that, you need a new computer because it probably won't even run Photoshop.
I guess my reasoning behind this, is that I want to occassionally use it on my netbook, which is a 1GB. I do have another laptop which is a 4GB.

1000bmr

New

Post by 1000bmr » Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 pm

angiej wrote:
bigben wrote:

I guess my reasoning behind this, is that I want to occassionally use it on my netbook, which is a 1GB. I do have another laptop which is a 4GB.
Is this possible? Yes. Is this even remotely practical? LOL NO. I won't get into the reasons, just trust that this is a bad idea.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue May 12, 2009 3:29 pm

angiej wrote:I guess my reasoning behind this, is that I want to occassionally use it on my netbook, which is a 1GB. I do have another laptop which is a 4GB.
Of RAM right? It would just need hard drive space to be stored on the laptop.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue May 12, 2009 3:31 pm

superflush wrote:
angiej wrote:I guess my reasoning behind this, is that I want to occassionally use it on my netbook, which is a 1GB. I do have another laptop which is a 4GB.
Yep, so I'm good?

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Tue May 12, 2009 6:57 pm

angiej wrote:
superflush wrote:
Yep, so I'm good?
yes.

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Tue May 12, 2009 7:03 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:Well, I just ordered a Thinkpad...amazing computer and at a great price (just under $1,000). For anyone looking to purchase a Thinkpad, get it through the Lenovo Contractor program--

It saves way more than the normal Lenovo site...I think my total savings were around $720.
Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Tue May 12, 2009 11:51 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:Well, I just ordered a Thinkpad...amazing computer and at a great price (just under $1,000). For anyone looking to purchase a Thinkpad, get it through the Lenovo Contractor program--

I've had the T42 and currently have a T61...Thinkpads are outstanding machines; I've been using them for around five years. The one concern I have is with overheating...the lenovo batteries have the propensity to become EXTREMELY hot, making the entire computer anything but a "lap" top. But seriously, the overheating is my only concern...in high school, I used a toshiba, and everyone in my family currently uses a dell. Out of all of those, the thinkpad has blown me away in terms of usability and reliability. They can also withstand a beating!

My one suggestion is that you uninstall almost all of the crap the factory installs--you don't need the lenovo software at all. Frankly, I'd recommend reformatting immediately and just installing the necessary drivers and whatnot...the wireless hotspot management bs IBM provides is utterly worthless and freezes up 90% of the time.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Wed May 13, 2009 11:49 am

kevinm wrote:

I've had the T42 and currently have a T61...Thinkpads are outstanding machines; I've been using them for around five years. The one concern I have is with overheating...the lenovo batteries have the propensity to become EXTREMELY hot, making the entire computer anything but a "lap" top. But seriously, the overheating is my only concern...in high school, I used a toshiba, and everyone in my family currently uses a dell. Out of all of those, the thinkpad has blown me away in terms of usability and reliability. They can also withstand a beating!

My one suggestion is that you uninstall almost all of the crap the factory installs--you don't need the lenovo software at all. Frankly, I'd recommend reformatting immediately and just installing the necessary drivers and whatnot...the wireless hotspot management bs IBM provides is utterly worthless and freezes up 90% of the time.
The T400 stays AMAZINGLY cool to the touch (and the fan rarely, if ever, goes on). I read a review prior to buying on notebookreview.com stating the T400 may have one of the best laptop cooling systems ever. I had a MacBook prior to this, and the MacBook was significantly hotter to the touch, and the fan went on a lot more often (which is still less often than cheap laptops).

If you're looking at the T400, overheating should not be a concern whatsoever.

project40

New

Post by project40 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:55 am

i got a thinkpad 8)

shipping out may 21

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed May 13, 2009 12:04 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I am 90% sure I am going to order:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834152096

I already have a MacBook (for exams).
I really wanted this one too, BUT was deterred when I realized the keyboard is only 80% the size of a "normal" sized keyboard. Other netbooks have 90 to 95% keyboard size.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Spinoza

New

Post by Spinoza » Wed May 13, 2009 1:52 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I liked the Acer Insire as well, but I wanted a) 10 inch screen and b) pink. Acer only had the 8.9" in pink. Boo.
hmmm

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed May 13, 2009 2:02 pm

Spinoza wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:I liked the Acer Insire as well, but I wanted a) 10 inch screen and b) pink. Acer only had the 8.9" in pink. Boo.
hmmm
That's too bad. I just got the 10inch in black and I love it. I do plan, however, to get purple stickers. 3acp.com has some really cool ones which they claim do not leave a residue and do not void any warranties.

Spinoza

New

Post by Spinoza » Wed May 13, 2009 2:06 pm

angiej wrote:I just got the 10inch in black and I love it.
hmmm

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed May 13, 2009 2:08 pm

Spinoza wrote:
angiej wrote:I just got the 10inch in black and I love it.
hmmm

YIKES! That's really bad! :oops:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”