The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rsrcht

Bronze

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by Rsrcht » Fri May 22, 2009 9:31 am

superflush wrote:
littleboyblue wrote:i haven't seen anyone mention the ASUS EeePC 1000HE netbook - anyone have it? thoughts? seems to have received good reviews.
I don't think that netbook in particular has been mentioned. But there are definitely some netbook fans here.
It was mentioned. I was considering one myself. The ASUS N10 is slightly better, although larger for a netbook at 10"

I ended up purchasing a 13" because I'm too tall to scrunch over a 10" screen and strain my eyes.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:47 am

I officially procliam that the ThinkPad T400 == The Ideal Law School Laptop

8)

FL135

New

Post by FL135 » Fri May 22, 2009 4:29 pm

Is there a major retailer who sells the lenovo t400. I want to get my hands on one before I buy it online and I can't find anyone who carries it in stock.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Fri May 22, 2009 4:36 pm

FL135 wrote:Is there a major retailer who sells the lenovo t400. I want to get my hands on one before I buy it online and I can't find anyone who carries it in stock.
I don't think so. But if you have any business/accounting/legal/insurance friends, they probably have one (or a similar model, which may be clunkier).

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Fri May 22, 2009 5:10 pm

So, after all this talk about the T400 I flipped today and bought a shiny blue Dell Latitude E6400 for the same price. I am frickin' STOKED! With upper tier but not across the board top upgrades, I couldn't get my dream T400 w/ a decent printer and 3 years Accident Protection for under $2,077 shipped. Even with my company's EPP program my dream Latitude E6400 w/ a decent printer and comparable warranty was coming out at $2,378. As a last ditch effort before pulling the trigger with Lenovo, I figured I would call Dell and plead my case. It turned out to be worth the hour on the phone, because I haggled them down to a final shipped price of $2,062! And I got a 2.63GHz processor and an additional 12 cell Powerslice Battery included. I am pretty happy with that, considering my biggest hang-up with Dell was price. I thought I would share in case anyone else was put off by Dell's pricing, as it appears pretty flexible if you call in!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 pm

misteranthro wrote:So, after all this talk about the T400 I flipped today and bought a shiny blue Dell Latitude E6400 for the same price. I am frickin' STOKED! With upper tier but not across the board top upgrades, I couldn't get my dream T400 w/ a decent printer and 3 years Accident Protection for under $2,077 shipped. Even with my company's EPP program my dream Latitude E6400 w/ a decent printer and comparable warranty was coming out at $2,378. As a last ditch effort before pulling the trigger with Lenovo, I figured I would call Dell and plead my case. It turned out to be worth the hour on the phone, because I haggled them down to a final shipped price of $2,062! And I got a 2.63GHz processor and an additional 12 cell Powerslice Battery included. I am pretty happy with that, considering my biggest hang-up with Dell was price. I thought I would share in case anyone else was put off by Dell's pricing, as it appears pretty flexible if you call in!
That sounds like a pretty crazy computer for law school use.

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:08 pm

djshack wrote:
misteranthro wrote:So, after all this talk about the T400 I flipped today and bought a shiny blue Dell Latitude E6400 for the same price. I am frickin' STOKED! With upper tier but not across the board top upgrades, I couldn't get my dream T400 w/ a decent printer and 3 years Accident Protection for under $2,077 shipped. Even with my company's EPP program my dream Latitude E6400 w/ a decent printer and comparable warranty was coming out at $2,378. As a last ditch effort before pulling the trigger with Lenovo, I figured I would call Dell and plead my case. It turned out to be worth the hour on the phone, because I haggled them down to a final shipped price of $2,062! And I got a 2.63GHz processor and an additional 12 cell Powerslice Battery included. I am pretty happy with that, considering my biggest hang-up with Dell was price. I thought I would share in case anyone else was put off by Dell's pricing, as it appears pretty flexible if you call in!
Sounds like price of 3 Dell's to me.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Fri May 22, 2009 6:19 pm

djshack wrote:
I admit, my specs are pretty rigorous, but I will be using it as a desktop replacement and I hate that frickin' spinning hourglass. Also, mobility-wise it is the ideal solution for me because I don't like being reliant on a wall-outlet. Now I will definitely have 10-12 hours unplugged a day. It may seem excessive, but I plan to do a fair amount of my reading on the lawn of the Getty.

I know quite a few people here are into the T400, but price seems like one of the major draws to it. People could still get Dell to knock several hundred off if they choose the lower-end specs on the same computer or a better deal than that on an XPS or Inspiron. More than anything, I just want people to know the discounted prices are no way near as low as Dell will go.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Fri May 22, 2009 6:29 pm

misteranthro wrote:
djshack wrote:
I admit, my specs are pretty rigorous, but I will be using it as a desktop replacement and I hate that frickin' spinning hourglass. Also, mobility-wise it is the ideal solution for me because I don't like being reliant on a wall-outlet. Now I will definitely have 10-12 hours unplugged a day. It may seem excessive, but I plan to do a fair amount of my reading on the lawn of the Getty.

I know quite a few people here are into the T400, but price seems like one of the major draws to it. People could still get Dell to knock several hundred off if they choose the lower-end specs on the same computer or a better deal than that on an XPS or Inspiron. More than anything, I just want people to know the discounted prices are no way near as low as Dell will go.
Most people considering a T400 will NOT consider an Inspiron or XPS as an alternative. The Latitude E6400 is, to my knowledge, one of the only laptops that can be compared to the T400.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Fri May 22, 2009 6:54 pm

djshack wrote:
misteranthro wrote:
djshack wrote:

Most people considering a T400 will NOT consider an Inspiron or XPS as an alternative. The Latitude E6400 is, to my knowledge, one of the only laptops that can be compared to the T400.
Well, at least my choice is in the same league :D . Honestly, I could have dropped another $650 from the price just by eliminating the 3 year warranty w/ damage coverage, extra 12 cell powerslice and printer. It would have been $1400 out the door without all my extras...and by out the door I mean inclusive of taxes and shipping. That is pretty competitive with what I found in my T400 research.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Fri May 22, 2009 6:56 pm

misteranthro wrote:
djshack wrote:
misteranthro wrote: I admit, my specs are pretty rigorous, but I will be using it as a desktop replacement and I hate that frickin' spinning hourglass. Also, mobility-wise it is the ideal solution for me because I don't like being reliant on a wall-outlet. Now I will definitely have 10-12 hours unplugged a day. It may seem excessive, but I plan to do a fair amount of my reading on the lawn of the Getty.

Well, at least my choice is in the same league :D . Honestly, I could have dropped another $650 from the price just by eliminating the 3 year warranty w/ damage coverage, extra 12 cell powerslice and printer. It would have been $1400 out the door without all my extras...and by out the door I mean inclusive of taxes and shipping. That is pretty competitive with what I found in my T400 research.
I always thought the two were pretty comparable in price. The main difference is that Lenovo is almost always holding some sort of a sale.

Also, I'm not saying this is my own opinion, but I know quite a few people who would never touch a Dell.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Fri May 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-KommonOddity_

New

Post by -KommonOddity_ » Fri May 22, 2009 10:59 pm

I prefer Mac over PC anyday. I own both and never seem to need my PC for anything. Tight budget?: I'd go with a Sony VAIO..Quality at it's pinnacle?: Mac

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:01 pm

-KommonOddity_ wrote:I prefer Mac over PC anyday. I own both and never seem to need my PC for anything. Tight budget?: I'd go with a Sony VAIO..Quality at it's pinnacle?: Mac
Vaios are total garbage. Sony loads more garbage software onto their computers than most of the other manufacturers. And please, enough with the Mac spam--obviously you've never used a Thinkpad T-series, which are the best-built notebooks on the market today. If you like OSX, you'll get a Mac, if you like Windows, Thinkpads are the best option.

-KommonOddity_

New

Post by -KommonOddity_ » Fri May 22, 2009 11:04 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
-KommonOddity_ wrote:I prefer Mac over PC anyday. I own both and never seem to need my PC for anything. Tight budget?: I'd go with a Sony VAIO..Quality at it's pinnacle?: Mac
Vaios are total garbage. Sony loads more garbage software onto their computers than most of the other manufacturers. And please, enough with the Mac spam--obviously you've never used a Thinkpad T-series, which are the best-built notebooks on the market today. If you like OSX, you'll get a Mac, if you like Windows, Thinkpads are the best option.
They are indeed, which is why I intentionally failed to mention quality as an attribute.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri May 22, 2009 11:07 pm

AJaKe wrote:Can someone explain OneNote to me? I looked at pictures of what the notes look like and it just seems so complicated. Why does everyone swear by it?

Is there a Mac Equivalent, I did some laptop assessing today and the Mac Genius suggested OmniOutliner. Anyone tried that?
As it sounds like you know, OneNote itself is not offered for Mac. But, I think you could run it in VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop if you wanted to. I haven't used OneNote, so sorry, I can't explain it. Hopefully someone else can though!!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri May 22, 2009 11:08 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:Vaios are total garbage. Sony loads more garbage software onto their computers than most of the other manufacturers.
They're just really expensive. They do give you an option to have a fresh install of the OS for free. So, you can get it without the crapware.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:10 pm

superflush wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:Vaios are total garbage. Sony loads more garbage software onto their computers than most of the other manufacturers.
They're just really expensive. They do give you an option to have a fresh install of the OS for free. So, you can get it without the crapware.
Last summer I actually bought one of the really nice HP desktops...the d5000t, I believe. The only software it came with was Vista and a 1 year subscription to Symantec. It was so nice getting it without all the additional crap...

-KommonOddity_

New

Post by -KommonOddity_ » Fri May 22, 2009 11:12 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
superflush wrote:
Last summer I actually bought one of the really nice HP desktops...the d5000t, I believe. The only software it came with was Vista and a 1 year subscription to Symantec. It was so nice getting it without all the additional crap...
I consider Vista crap

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:18 pm

-KommonOddity_ wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
superflush wrote:
I consider Vista crap
Why?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat May 23, 2009 12:33 am

-KommonOddity_ wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote: Last summer I actually bought one of the really nice HP desktops...the d5000t, I believe. The only software it came with was Vista and a 1 year subscription to Symantec. It was so nice getting it without all the additional crap...
I consider Vista crap
Ha, well played.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vut

New

Post by vut » Sat May 23, 2009 4:41 am

-KommonOddity_ wrote:I consider Vista crap
You must either be a noob or a hacker.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun May 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Here's what I'm looking at in my T400:
System components:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2) 25W
Genuine Windows Vista Business with Windows XP Professional Downgrade****
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with vPro
3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
Express Card Slot & PC Card Slot
Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
9 cell Li-Ion Battery

I like XP a lot and have it on my Desktop, hence the downgrade. Also, is the Recordable DVD thing necessary or only if you want to make data DVDs? I don't know if I'll need that. I also checked adding the Turbo Memory hard drive cache but no DVD thing and that was less money. I may do that instead - more speed rather than burning capabilities. Any other reccommendations/suggestions?

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Sun May 24, 2009 5:17 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:Here's what I'm looking at in my T400:
System components:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2) 25W
Genuine Windows Vista Business with Windows XP Professional Downgrade****
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with vPro
3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
Express Card Slot & PC Card Slot
Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
9 cell Li-Ion Battery

I like XP a lot and have it on my Desktop, hence the downgrade. Also, is the Recordable DVD thing necessary or only if you want to make data DVDs? I don't know if I'll need that. I also checked adding the Turbo Memory hard drive cache but no DVD thing and that was less money. I may do that instead - more speed rather than burning capabilities. Any other reccommendations/suggestions?
You should not downgrade to XP. You're going back in time to 2002, and in computer years, that's a VERY long time. Microsoft is soon going to stop supporting it somewhat.

Vista is really not that bad, especially on a new computer that can handle it. Just toughen up and try it out. Then buy Windows 7 when it comes out and be happy.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun May 24, 2009 9:21 pm

djshack wrote: Vista is really not that bad, especially on a new computer that can handle it. Just toughen up and try it out. Then install Windows 7 RC 1right now for free

Fixed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”