The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
suchandsuch

New

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by suchandsuch » Tue May 26, 2009 6:51 am

Anyone considering using a Pulse smart pen instead of a laptop?

--LinkRemoved--

Looks like an awesome tool, but I'm a little bit worried that recording devices won't be allowed in class. Any current students using the pen without permission-to-record problems?

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Tue May 26, 2009 7:09 am

Anyone know a good resource to learn the ins and outs of OneNote? I can't find a "OneNote for Dummies" book and I want to get myself up to speed on all the tips and tricks before school starts. Don't want to spend a month learning how to use software instead of focusing on studying.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:09 am

nontradintexas wrote:Anyone know a good resource to learn the ins and outs of OneNote? I can't find a "OneNote for Dummies" book and I want to get myself up to speed on all the tips and tricks before school starts. Don't want to spend a month learning how to use software instead of focusing on studying.
There are some demos on Microsoft's OneNote website. I've looked at a couple of them online. They seem pretty helpful and informative.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Tue May 26, 2009 9:13 am

Last edited by joshikousei on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:44 am

topsome wrote:Do you think 64 GB is enough?
depends. primary computer with all of your music and movies? maybe not. gaming? some can take almost 10 gb to install these days, so definitely not (but at 1.2 ghz and without a video card, the hard drive is the least of your worries).

for installing the OS, taking notes, creating documents, browsing the web, and Doing Law School(TM) it will be more than enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Tue May 26, 2009 12:27 pm

i just love this thread.

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:36 pm

got my netbook (lenovo ideapad S10) this weekend, and i love it! it will definitely work for bringing to classes and taking notes. the keyboard isn't much smaller than the standard size, but i will still have to get used to the placement of some of the keys (i.e. the right SHIFT button).

still waiting on my T400 8) ...

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Tue May 26, 2009 12:41 pm

missv463 wrote:got my netbook (lenovo ideapad S10) this weekend, and i love it! it will definitely work for bringing to classes and taking notes. the keyboard isn't much smaller than the standard size, but i will still have to get used to the placement of some of the keys (i.e. the right SHIFT button).

Ordered my T400 May 1st. Just got confirmation it is finally shipping today...long wait but now I'm psyched

azlawlady

New

Post by azlawlady » Tue May 26, 2009 1:17 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
nontradintexas wrote:Anyone know a good resource to learn the ins and outs of OneNote? I can't find a "OneNote for Dummies" book and I want to get myself up to speed on all the tips and tricks before school starts. Don't want to spend a month learning how to use software instead of focusing on studying.
There are some demos on Microsoft's OneNote website. I've looked at a couple of them online. They seem pretty helpful and informative.
I think OneNote itself has its own type of tutorial doesn't it? Just open it up and go to what it is you want to learn how to do, etc....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue May 26, 2009 2:28 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hieveryone

New

Post by hieveryone » Tue May 26, 2009 2:36 pm

matty wrote:
missv463 wrote:got my netbook (lenovo ideapad S10) this weekend, and i love it! it will definitely work for bringing to classes and taking notes. the keyboard isn't much smaller than the standard size, but i will still have to get used to the placement of some of the keys (i.e. the right SHIFT button).

Ordered my T400 May 1st. Just got confirmation it is finally shipping today...long wait but now I'm psyched
Dam--that's a long wait. What was your expected ship date? I'm guessing they're late?

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Tue May 26, 2009 2:44 pm

dood wrote:So after reading this forum and many others, I bought this:

ThinkPad T400
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8400 (2.26GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2) 25W1
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium12
14.1 WXGA+ TFT, w/ CCFL Backlight
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with vPro
3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm4
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)5
No Bluetooth
Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology10
Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
6 cell Li-Ion Battery60
7417: 1 Year Depot Warranty - TopSeller7

Sale price: $763.30
[USETSAVINGS] -$38.17
Shipping and handling: $0.00
Estimated tax: $39.89
Estimated total: $765.02*

Note that this laptop is going to be used purely for law school, I have a media center desktop for movies, games, pron, etc.

So did any other T400 orderers have to pay sales tax?
I paid sales tax (California).

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Tue May 26, 2009 4:40 pm

is it not cheaper to buy through your school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anhimal

New

Post by Anhimal » Tue May 26, 2009 4:41 pm

I'm ordering the Lenovo X200, I hope it's as good as the Lenovo T400. I bought it because it was more lightweight. Does it matter for law school classes if it doesn't have a CD or DVD player (I will buy external)?

hurricane87

New

Post by hurricane87 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:47 pm

What do you think about the Toshiba Satellite L305-S5945?

For the price it seems hard to beat. It's listed at $430, has 4GB RAM, 160GB hard drive, 2.16GHz processor, 15.4 inch screen.

It seems to have good reviews so far...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8079752923

maxima099

New

Post by maxima099 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:04 pm

TYPE-ability .....ok That's a term I just made up lol

But my point is, you should strongly consider typeability amongst your chief parameters for judging a laptop for use in law school. Ofcourse between typing papers, class notes, and other social messaging, you'll need to make sure that the keyboard is not too stiff or too loose and that the palm-rest panel is sized well enough for your hands...

With that said - does anyone know of laptops with superior type-ability?

Please advise.

=)

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue May 26, 2009 5:23 pm

dood wrote:So did any other T400 orderers have to pay sales tax?
It depends where you bought it from. If you bought it online from a place that has physical stores in the state your in, sales tax should be assessed. Also, if you're in NY, with the new the new law, sales tax is assessed even for Amazon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Tue May 26, 2009 5:28 pm

maxima099 wrote:TYPE-ability .....ok That's a term I just made up lol

But my point is, you should strongly consider typeability amongst your chief parameters for judging a laptop for use in law school. Ofcourse between typing papers, class notes, and other social messaging, you'll need to make sure that the keyboard is not too stiff or too loose and that the palm-rest panel is sized well enough for your hands...

Please advise.

=)
T400.

/endthread

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue May 26, 2009 5:40 pm

Please advise.

=)
Macbook Pro
Toshiba R500/R600

vut

New

Post by vut » Tue May 26, 2009 8:45 pm

Please advise.

=)
Compaq V2000 series.

One of the best keyboard layouts for me and my girlfriend. I'm a programmer and she's a writer; together we produced over 400 pages last summer on that thing before I went with a new computer. The V2000 series have been discontinued, I think.

Fortunately, HP and Compaq's basic layouts are similar for their 14-15.4 inch models, so I don't think you'll have much trouble finding a computer you're comfortable with.

I tried typing on the T400 and liked it, too. The only gripe I have with Lenovo computers is that the Fn key is placed where the Control key should be. Argh!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue May 26, 2009 10:50 pm

vut wrote:Compaq V2000 series.

One of the best keyboard layouts for me and my girlfriend. I'm a programmer and she's a writer; together we produced over 400 pages last summer on that thing before I went with a new computer. The V2000 series have been discontinued, I think.
Yea, I was about to say, that must be an older notebook, not around anymore.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hieveryone

New

Post by hieveryone » Tue May 26, 2009 10:57 pm

for everyone who ordered from lenovo, did you get your laptop shipped by the estimated ship date? after?
thanks!

topsome

New

Post by topsome » Tue May 26, 2009 11:05 pm

Just ordered my monster of a laptop -- Lenovo X200s complete with 9 cell battery, 3 year warranty and 3 year "I'm a complete klutz and am going to spill and drop this lap top" warranty. This sucker isn't going to die on me.

Edit: Does anyone have buyer's remorse when they look at how aesthetically displeasing the Lenovo thinkpad is in comparison to its peers? Anyone have any pros about the way the thinkpads look?

I had an IBM thinkpad in UG and it was hideous and it looks like the design of the new thinkpads are identical.

Buckeye

New

Post by Buckeye » Wed May 27, 2009 1:16 am

topsome wrote:Just ordered my monster of a laptop -- Lenovo X200s complete with 9 cell battery, 3 year warranty and 3 year "I'm a complete klutz and am going to spill and drop this lap top" warranty. This sucker isn't going to die on me.

Edit: Does anyone have buyer's remorse when they look at how aesthetically displeasing the Lenovo thinkpad is in comparison to its peers? Anyone have any pros about the way the thinkpads look?

I had an IBM thinkpad in UG and it was hideous and it looks like the design of the new thinkpads are identical.
Thinkpads have a distinctive look. Some people don't like it, and say its hideous/ugly/displeasing because it doesn't look pretty like a Mac or a nice shiny Dell. Other people love it, for pretty much the exact same reason. They want a computer that is practical, businesslike, and built for function rather than form. The Thinkpad look is iconic, and its not surprising it hasn't changed much over the years.

Personally I love the look, and will likely be buying another Thinkpad when the one I am using now dies.

topsome

New

Post by topsome » Wed May 27, 2009 2:26 am

Buckeye wrote:
topsome wrote:Just ordered my monster of a laptop -- Lenovo X200s complete with 9 cell battery, 3 year warranty and 3 year "I'm a complete klutz and am going to spill and drop this lap top" warranty. This sucker isn't going to die on me.

Thinkpads have a distinctive look. Some people don't like it, and say its hideous/ugly/displeasing because it doesn't look pretty like a Mac or a nice shiny Dell. Other people love it, for pretty much the exact same reason. They want a computer that is practical, businesslike, and built for function rather than form. The Thinkpad look is iconic, and its not surprising it hasn't changed much over the years.

Personally I love the look, and will likely be buying another Thinkpad when the one I am using now dies.
Yeah, it is a classic kind of look and I'm a classic kind of fellow... thanks for the perspective. :D

Damn Macbooks and their sleek design... but they're freaking Macs which kills it for me. I don't want the added inconvenience.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”