The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cantiljp

New

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by Cantiljp » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:59 am

Apple is going to have the back to school deal in late July-early August which is if you buy a macbook you'll get $100 off and a free ipod touch...so you could get the 2 gig version and an ipod for $900.

Also I don't think the new version of Windows is coming out until September or October of this year so it may be a good idea to wait until then to buy a new PC.

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:28 am

The ASUS N10 looks pretty sweet. It's a 10.2" model with normal laptop keyboard and video card. The battery lasts about 4-6 hours.
http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk/2008 ... tbook.html

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:49 am

Cantiljp wrote:Apple is going to have the back to school deal in late July-early August which is if you buy a macbook you'll get $100 off and a free ipod touch...so you could get the 2 gig version and an ipod for $900.

Also I don't think the new version of Windows is coming out until September or October of this year so it may be a good idea to wait until then to buy a new PC.
A free iPod touch? I thought in the past it was just limited to iPod Nanos and the like. Can you confirm this?

Cantiljp

New

Post by Cantiljp » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:04 am

sullidop wrote:
Cantiljp wrote:Apple is going to have the back to school deal in late July-early August which is if you buy a macbook you'll get $100 off and a free ipod touch...so you could get the 2 gig version and an ipod for $900.

A free iPod touch? I thought in the past it was just limited to iPod Nanos and the like. Can you confirm this?
Well they haven't advertised the sale yet but that was the deal they had last year

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:06 am

Cantiljp wrote:
sullidop wrote:

Well they haven't advertised the sale yet but that was the deal they had last year
That's quite a leap. :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:11 am

patrickd139 wrote:
Cantiljp wrote:
sullidop wrote:

That's quite a leap. :|
I guess it makes sense though. The iPod Touch is the one iPod that Apple get money from both music and apps. It would definitely create more of a revenue stream for them.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:50 am

syrahfan wrote:What a great discussion to read on laptops!

reading all of the above, I think I am moving towards a T400, but I have some overall questions.

I have been a desktop user all my life (from the age of 5 on), never really moving over to the laptops. Are some laptops better suited to plugging in to a full monitor/keyboard at home? I know many businesses use Dell to do this, but I would rather use a Thinkpad given all of the reviews I have read.

Also, would most laptops be compatible with dual monitors? My work has addicted me to using 2 monitors at a time and the thought of not having Lexis/Westlaw on one screen and any document I am working on in one screen makes me sigh. I will have a desktop, and if it survives, then I can use that for some use, but it was the cheapest model available, and I don't expect much out of it.

Best,

Syrahfan

Ah, another very smart person. Dual monitors is one of the greatest ways you can improve your productivity through technology. I have the T400 and I use it with dual monitors every day. An older 19" LCD sits on my desk at home and I connect it whenever I am home to use both the laptop screen and the external monitor. It's very quick and easy. It's not as cool as having two monitors of the same size next to each other, but it works. It is connected with VGA; I think I would need a dock if I wanted to use DVI/HDMI.

Like you, I never bought laptop until law school. I always used desktops because I could get more power for the money build them myself for ultimate customization. But, I have grown used to the keyboard on the laptop. Thinkpads have good keyboards. I also use the trackpoint all the time too and never hook up a mouse. It's not that bad when you get used to it and then you don't have to worry about hooking up a mouse or carrying one around with you. (I absolutely hate touchpads, trackpoints are much better in my opinion but thinkpads have both so you can choose. But even trackpoints must have the proper rubber cap or they suck too. T400 comes with a really good rubber cap).

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:24 pm

sullidop wrote:A free iPod touch? I thought in the past it was just limited to iPod Nanos and the like. Can you confirm this?
They've had this deal for several years in the summer. In 2005 it was called "Cram & Jam"
On the notebook, you get the standard education discount. If you go online and to U.S. Education in the Apple Store, you can see what that is for your notebook as you spec it.
Then, you should get a $200 rebate in the mail for any iPod. So, though lowest iPod Touch is $230, so you'd just pay $30 more.
And I think they might also have like a $100 printer rebate or certain printers are free with the notebook.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:25 pm

Oh and also, I feel like the deal was going on until 9/15 however the September released iPods were not compatible with the offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:47 pm

they released them right after it ended.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:54 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:they released them right after it ended.
Actually I'm pretty sure they were released right before the deal ended, but they weren't valid with the rebate. Their new ipod introductions have been the first half of September for the past few years now.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:57 am

Cavalier wrote:Something that can run Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2.
I haven't read the thread, but wouldn't this be the ideal laptop for someone who wants to fail out of law school? I'm going to have to force myself not to buy either game, I think, or my 2L year is going to be baad.

Also, being relegated to a laptop for Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 = fail.

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:37 am

ssw1120 wrote:The exam software at the law school I will be attending is only compatible with Windows. So, I am going to use my MacBook Air (which I love) for taking notes, and I bought a Dell 12 inch Netbook with Windows XP for exams. I didn't want to chance going with Vista. There is an option on the air to install windows, but I didn't really want to do that. I highly recommend the lightest computer you can find with a keyboard that you are comfortable with. I researched Netbooks and liked the 10 inch Asus. I ended up with the 12 inch Dell (600.00 delivered from Costco) because I wanted a bigger keyboard for taking exams.
This is an issue for me too. I was given the impression that the exam software is fairly standard and used by many law schools, so it may be an issue for many people. I'm still vaguely considering a mac (although I think they are overpriced). If I do purchase one, I'm planning to set up a dual boot to allow the exam software to run (i've been told that it doesn't work with an emulator, but would be fine with a dual-boot system). But I'm kind of leaning towards a Sony.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:44 am

Getting a laptop for Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 right now is stupid. By the time Blizzard ACTUALLY RELEASES A NEW FUCKING GAME, the laptop will be obsolete.

I want to play SC2 & D3 bad!!!

ssw1120

New

Post by ssw1120 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:05 pm

The intel-based macs have boot-camp built in and are designed to allow a windows operating system to be installed. I just worry about stability if I am in the middle of taking an exam. It will be stressful enough without worrying about the computer! I am going to try out the Dell 12 inch Inspiron Netbook when it arrives...and if I don't like it, I will return it and get another light weight PC. (that's the beauty of ordered electronics through Costco. 90 day return policy-no restocking fee and you can return it to your local store)

Nietzsche

New

Post by Nietzsche » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:19 am

Between a Dell Studio 15 and a Lenovo T400...

Anyone have any experience with these? Which would be the better laptop for law school?

Rocinante

New

Post by Rocinante » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:30 pm

I went with a beast of a laptop. Stats are on par with my desktop. It's a tad heavy, but not terrible. 15.4 inch screen, 4 gigs of ram, 512 vid memory, built in swivel webcam (great for recording lectures if your into that), fingerprint reader, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trutherd

New

Post by trutherd » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:29 am

Someone mentioned laptop color earlier by implying that only black is acceptable. I've wondered this myself as an owner of a white Macbook... how true is this? Is white too flashy or something?

badlydrawn

Bronze

Post by badlydrawn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:37 am

trutherd wrote:Someone mentioned laptop color earlier by implying that only black is acceptable. I've wondered this myself as an owner of a white Macbook... how true is this? Is white too flashy or something?
Everyone will think you're a fop.

sk8erb0imike

New

Post by sk8erb0imike » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:38 am

Rocinante wrote:I went with a beast of a laptop. Stats are on par with my desktop. It's a tad heavy, but not terrible. 15.4 inch screen, 4 gigs of ram, 512 vid memory, built in swivel webcam (great for recording lectures if your into that), fingerprint reader, etc.
What kind of computer do you have? Like brand wise?

trutherd

New

Post by trutherd » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:06 am

badlydrawn wrote:
trutherd wrote:Someone mentioned laptop color earlier by implying that only black is acceptable. I've wondered this myself as an owner of a white Macbook... how true is this? Is white too flashy or something?
Everyone will think you're a fop.
Hmm... bad enough to justify buying a new laptop just for the color?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rocketman

New

Post by rocketman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:02 am

excuse me if i sound like a complete moron with these questions as i have zero computer savy, but:

1) someone mentioned onenote being a reason they went with pc. doesnt it come in the office for apple as well? i don't think i could do without onenote.

2) my biggest gripe with PC's are the standard screen resolutions on a normal sized (14.1) inch laptop. i like to have multiple things open at the same time (for instance, text editor side by side with browser) but this really isn't possible on the standard models due to the resolution. from what i've seen on people's macs, the res is much smaller allowing for this, correct? and why isn't this a bigger issue for people - this absolutely drives me nuts when i'm writing a paper or doing research or something.

rocketman

New

Post by rocketman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:42 am

JazzOne wrote:
Silver93 wrote:In terms of convenience...is a 15-17 inch screen too large?
I had a 15" MacBook, and I thought the size was perfect. The 17" model is a bit ridiculous, but 15" is large enough to enjoy movies or other multimedia, and the keyboard is full size. The 15" screen is also big enough to juggle a few windows at once, and the Mac OS has these features called "expose" and "spaces" that make it a breeze to work on multiple projects at once.
this is my biggest complaint with standard PC's - i can't have multiple windows open at once.

what exactly is expose and spaces? simply from viewing classmates on their macs, i see them flipping between windows, which seems to be the same thing as in Windows but just more animated. is there a smaller resolution or something?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:38 am

rocketman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Silver93 wrote:In terms of convenience...is a 15-17 inch screen too large?
I had a 15" MacBook, and I thought the size was perfect. The 17" model is a bit ridiculous, but 15" is large enough to enjoy movies or other multimedia, and the keyboard is full size. The 15" screen is also big enough to juggle a few windows at once, and the Mac OS has these features called "expose" and "spaces" that make it a breeze to work on multiple projects at once.
this is my biggest complaint with standard PC's - i can't have multiple windows open at once.

what exactly is expose and spaces? simply from viewing classmates on their macs, i see them flipping between windows, which seems to be the same thing as in Windows but just more animated. is there a smaller resolution or something?
Well, the Mac OS introduced the expose feature before Windows copied it, but there is a lot of copying back and forth between Microsoft and Apple, so that's a moot point. Expose is an option where you can separate all the Windows open on the screen. So, if you have 5 Windows open and you hit the Expose key, the computer will make each window smaller and display them so they don't overlap. You can then click any of the windows and it will restore it to the original size and bring it to the front. The spaces option allows you to have several different screens full of windows. So, I could say three windows open in one screen all related to music production. In an other screen I could have a few windows open for some other project. With the spaces option, you can have as many different screens as you want, and you can flip back and forth between each pretty easily. I use the spaces quite often because I like to play four to six poker tournaments at once. I can put them each in a different screen and flip back and forth with just a few mouse clicks.

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:17 am

For those interested in a Mac but put off at the idea of paying for a copy of Windows, check with your school's Tech department/sales. Some give away copies of Windows for free or at a huge discount.

Personally, after some research, I think i'm going to go with a T400. Tracking sales and discounts, I've seen the 14" T400 with 2.4 Ghz and 3 GB Ram in the $600s before taxes. Just from a cursory search, it seems like it would cost upwards of $500 to get similar specs in a mac. Not worth it imo, and this Windows 7 is intriguing if its as good as some other posters on here have made it out to be.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”