The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crystalhawkeye

Silver

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:16 pm

My T400 came today! :mrgreen:

It feels very light. I've yet to set it up and use it, though. Maybe tomorrow.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Maybe we'll get the Apple Netbook at next year's WWDC? One can hope...

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Objection wrote:Maybe we'll get the Apple Netbook at next year's WWDC? One can hope...
::fingers crossed::

My mini 9 will need replacing by then...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Handle wrote:In my eight months as a unibody Macbook user, my operating system has never crashed. I have never lost data in an Office document. If an application quits (which generally occurs when I'm running 30+ tabs in Safari, as I only have 2gb ram), it does so painlessly. My machine sleeps and wakes within seconds and without error. I consistently get at least four hours of battery life unless I am streaming video. The multi-touch track pad is such a joy to use that I no longer use an external mouse.
This does sound nice
Handle wrote:I'd spend an extra few hundred bucks on a new Mac in a heartbeat, unless I was faced with some sort of dire compatibility issue.
+1

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Thanks for all the comments in the thread so far, really helpful.

My question for people that have just gotten laptops or that are getting them when law school begins is how are you going about paying for these (besides one's own cash)? Are people requesting an increase in their expenses, buying through the computer store and keeping it on their student account, or what?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:12 pm

dbt wrote:Thanks for all the comments in the thread so far, really helpful.

My question for people that have just gotten laptops or that are getting them when law school begins is how are you going about paying for these (besides one's own cash)? Are people requesting an increase in their expenses, buying through the computer store and keeping it on their student account, or what?
AmEx.

But if you need it included in your expenses I'm pretty sure most schools will include. Check their "Tuition" or "Finances" page on their website. Some explicitly say that it can be included in your expenses up to a certain amount.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:54 pm

superflush wrote:
dbt wrote:Thanks for all the comments in the thread so far, really helpful.

AmEx.

But if you need it included in your expenses I'm pretty sure most schools will include. Check their "Tuition" or "Finances" page on their website. Some explicitly say that it can be included in your expenses up to a certain amount.
Yeah I'm at NYU in the fall, and I haven't been able to find anything for that. There is computer expenses (at the whopping rate of $1300) but I think that's just us getting to use their computers? I do remember seeing the laptop expense addition though at Stanford. Anyone else at NYU know the deal about this?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:03 pm

Objection wrote:Am I crazy for considering a 17" MBP for law school? Yeah, it's not the most portable of the lineup, but 6.6 lbs is hardly unportable (the 15" is 5.5...13" is 4.5 but the 13" is a tad too small for my tastes), and it's the only Macbook with a matte option (which is a big deal when you plan to move it around, meaning you have no control over the lightsource).
I also hate glossy screens.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:03 pm

dbt wrote:Yeah I'm at NYU in the fall, and I haven't been able to find anything for that. There is computer expenses (at the whopping rate of $1300) but I think that's just us getting to use their computers? I do remember seeing the laptop expense addition though at Stanford. Anyone else at NYU know the deal about this?
I don't see anything on NYU's website. I would ask them if it is typically included. They had a thing for budget increases on their. Maybe people can do it through that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:31 pm

Ah for those NYU students that may be wondering, I found the info. We're allowed a budget increase of up to $2500 for a one-time computer expense. The purchase has to be made within the academic school year July 15th - May 10th to count, and it looks like given the way the process works, you actually have to purchase the computer with your own money first and then submit the request with the receipt.

http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/faq ... entBudgets
Q: What If I Purchase a Computer - Should I Request A Budget Increase?

A: If you have not borrowed up to the budget, you do not need a budget increase. If you have borrowed up to the budget and require additional loan funds to bear the computer expense, you may request a budget increase for the purchase. You will need to complete the NYU School of Law Request for Budget Increase Form and attach supporting documentation of the computer expenses.

Q: What If I Buy My Computer Before Classes Begin?

A: In order to be considered an allowable budget expense under Federal guidelines, the purchase of the computer needs to occur either during or just prior to the start of the academic year (July 15, 2007– May 10, 2008).

Q: What is the Maximum Budget Adjustment Amount for a Computer Purchase?

A: The maximum amount of an increase for a computer purchase will be $2,500.00. Students are permitted only one budget adjustment for a computer during their three years at NYU School of Law.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:58 pm

dbt wrote:Ah for those NYU students that may be wondering, I found the info. We're allowed a budget increase of up to $2500 for a one-time computer expense. The purchase has to be made within the academic school year July 15th - May 10th to count, and it looks like given the way the process works, you actually have to purchase the computer with your own money first and then submit the request with the receipt.

Q: What If I Purchase a Computer - Should I Request A Budget Increase?

A: If you have not borrowed up to the budget, you do not need a budget increase. If you have borrowed up to the budget and require additional loan funds to bear the computer expense, you may request a budget increase for the purchase. You will need to complete the NYU School of Law Request for Budget Increase Form and attach supporting documentation of the computer expenses.

Q: What If I Buy My Computer Before Classes Begin?

A: In order to be considered an allowable budget expense under Federal guidelines, the purchase of the computer needs to occur either during or just prior to the start of the academic year (July 15, 2007– May 10, 2008).

Q: What is the Maximum Budget Adjustment Amount for a Computer Purchase?

A: The maximum amount of an increase for a computer purchase will be $2,500.00. Students are permitted only one budget adjustment for a computer during their three years at NYU School of Law.
As someone who has worked in IT, personally if i could only make one purchase during law school (assuming I had a functioning laptop) I would make it between Christmas break 1L and summer before 2L. By then you know what you need and you're more likely to purchase something that will last (especially if you're buying a PC).

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:22 am

dbt wrote:Ah for those NYU students that may be wondering, I found the info. We're allowed a budget increase of up to $2500 for a one-time computer expense. The purchase has to be made within the academic school year July 15th - May 10th to count, and it looks like given the way the process works, you actually have to purchase the computer with your own money first and then submit the request with the receipt.
Yea, I knew there should be something. I think most schools should have this as well.

vut

New

Post by vut » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:35 am

Objection wrote:...3.06 ghz mbp with 4 gigs of ram with 320 gb hdd...
Forget law school, you will have enough power to take over the world with that processor. I envy you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:33 am

This has been a big day.
LSAT + Apple keynote at WWDC.
There is just so much stuff going on. :shock:

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 am

Anyone have any sort of recommendation for an external hard drive? I know I want 250 GB because I'm not really going to back anything up other than my documents, but other than that I don't have any idea of what I should be looking for.

Detail

New

Post by Detail » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:43 am

aholmes87 wrote:Anyone have any sort of recommendation for an external hard drive? I know I want 250 GB because I'm not really going to back anything up other than my documents, but other than that I don't have any idea of what I should be looking for.
You should buy one with either an ethernet or wifi connection, so your documents could be backed up automatically. I suggest looking at Western Digital.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:57 pm

aholmes87 wrote:Anyone have any sort of recommendation for an external hard drive? I know I want 250 GB because I'm not really going to back anything up other than my documents, but other than that I don't have any idea of what I should be looking for.
LaCie.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:18 pm

How long is the estimated batter life on a standard 4-cell battery? a 6-cell?

I am comparing this to the new 7-hour battery life on the macbook.

Just wondering if I would need to upgrade the lenovo T400 to the 9-cell (a $90 upgrade) to get the same 7 hour batter life as the mac? (this would also add substantial weight, I'm sure)

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:33 pm

hoffb86 wrote:How long is the estimated batter life on a standard 4-cell battery? a 6-cell?

I am comparing this to the new 7-hour battery life on the macbook.

Just wondering if I would need to upgrade the lenovo T400 to the 9-cell (a $90 upgrade) to get the same 7 hour batter life as the mac? (this would also add substantial weight, I'm sure)
from what i've seen in this thread the 9-cell gives you about 8 hour battery life, i think. the battery life on the new macbooks is actually the final thing that made me lean definitively towards a 13" MBP.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:52 pm

So I'm thinking about getting a computer from the computer store and I was checking out their options yesterday, but now it's telling me that my ID is invalid. Anyone else having this problem (at NYU) or should I try to contact them?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Do you need one that is portable, as in small enough to bring places.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:15 pm

superflush wrote:

Nope, just looking for something to back my files up at home every night. I'm not concerned about portability or looks. I just want something that is easy to setup and easy to use. The only thing I will probably be backing up are text files, and maybe a small amount of media files.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:20 pm

aholmes87 wrote:
superflush wrote:

Nope, just looking for something to back my files up at home every night. I'm not concerned about portability or looks. I just want something that is easy to setup and easy to use. The only thing I will probably be backing up are text files, and maybe a small amount of media files.
I like the western digital mybooks, they are usually available cheap, dead simple and hassle free.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Went to the Apple story today to do side by sides of the 13" screen and 15" screen. I've decided on a 13" MBP. 2.53 ghz, 4 gb ram...

Now, which hard drive do I go with?

Hard Drive

* 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
* 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm [Add $45.00]
* 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm [Add $135.00]
* 128GB solid-state drive [Add $315.00]
* 256GB solid-state drive [Add $720.00]
5400 rpm is meh. If it was 7200, I would go with that. 128 gb solid state seems to be the sweet spot. It seems small, but I won't be putting music, games, etc on this comp. It will be solely for law school/work stuff during law school. I also have a 500 gb MyBook, and might actually purchase one of the 1 TB Time Capsules (the computer reimbursement covers that).

I don't know. Suggestions?

HAZMAT

New

Post by HAZMAT » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:51 pm

Objection wrote:Went to the Apple story today to do side by sides of the 13" screen and 15" screen. I've decided on a 13" MBP. 2.53 ghz, 4 gb ram...

Now, which hard drive do I go with?

Hard Drive

* 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
* 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm [Add $45.00]
* 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm [Add $135.00]
* 128GB solid-state drive [Add $315.00]
* 256GB solid-state drive [Add $720.00]
5400 rpm is meh. If it was 7200, I would go with that. 128 gb solid state seems to be the sweet spot. It seems small, but I won't be putting music, games, etc on this comp. It will be solely for law school/work stuff during law school. I also have a 500 gb MyBook, and might actually purchase one of the 1 TB Time Capsules (the computer reimbursement covers that).

I don't know. Suggestions?
I've been reading Macrumors.com, and TCR seems to be buy a separate hard drive on your own--apparently Apple kind of rips you off on the ones they install for you, and they're not even the best. You could get a nicer/bigger/possibly cheaper SSD on your own, and then take out the included hard drive and use it as an external.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”