The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tome

Bronze

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by tome » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:00 am

Lee Kitty Oswald wrote:There was a post above about the advantage of 15 in screens over 13 in ones. Does it seem that more people in law school use a 15 in one? Also, does anyone know if there are 15 in ones that aren't too heavy? Thanks!
At about 5.3 pounds, and 8+ hours of battery life (meaning you don't need to carry around an adapter, making it even lighter) the only viable (and inexpensive) options are the Acer Timelines:

Acer Aspire Timeline AS5810TZ-4274 15.6-Inch: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Timel ... 143&sr=8-1
or
Acer Aspire Timeline AS5810T-8952 15.6-Inch: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Timel ... 143&sr=8-2

I'll still be getting a 13.3 inch, but this'd be my 15-inch of choice for school purposes.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:30 am

hoffb86 wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they just switch it out on the spot. Macs tend to have issues when a new product is launched, but Apple always handles it well.
You think it is something they readily have the parts for and could do on the spot, or locally? I really don't want to be without my brand new computer for a week while they ship it off. My appointment is for 7:20pm tonight, so I wouldn't demand that it be done like while I wait, but I would like it back ASAP.
I mean they will more than likely give you a new computer. If not they can order the part if they don't have it in the back. Just tell them you can't be without your computer.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:35 am

dextermorgan wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they just switch it out on the spot. Macs tend to have issues when a new product is launched, but Apple always handles it well.
You think it is something they readily have the parts for and could do on the spot, or locally? I really don't want to be without my brand new computer for a week while they ship it off. My appointment is for 7:20pm tonight, so I wouldn't demand that it be done like while I wait, but I would like it back ASAP.
I mean they will more than likely give you a new computer. If not they can order the part if they don't have it in the back. Just tell them you can't be without your computer.
i was thinking i would take a new computer, if they take all the music and things i've put on it already, and transfer it over.... and microsoft office (so I dont lose the license I paid for). things like that.... I would definitely take the new computer. I really can't be without the computer, i sent the one i was borrowing back to my mother!

NaijaGirl

New

Post by NaijaGirl » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:38 pm

For anyone who is thinking of getting a mac and is worried about software, etc., this website has a lot of helpful tips and reviews: http://maclawstudents.com/blog/

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:57 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
djshack wrote:
KristaLyn wrote:So what is the best way to upgrade to 7? I just called Lenovo and I just got my computer today, but since I ordered it before the 26th of June, they won't honor the free Windows 7 upgrade. I also got vista business, so I am worried that upgrading to Windows 7 Business will be twice as expensive.
I pre-ordered from Microsoft. But I have Home Premium (to Home Premium is $50). It doesn't seem to explicitly mention on the website that you need to get the same level, so you may be able to get Home Premium if you don't mind the "downgrade."
I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I have XP Business, but don't feel like I need it for law school. Would Windows 7 Home be OK for law school? I didn't see anything on the microsoft upgrade site that said you had to use the same version of Windows 7 as you had of Vista (Home to Home, Business to Business). Can anyone verify this and tell me if I need Business or would home be just fine?
Home Premium will be fine (that's the Vista I have right now). The different versions of Windows now all run on the same core (unlike pre-XP and possibly XP, as many schools preferred/require XP Professional over Home). They just have different feature sets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elex360

New

Post by elex360 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:52 pm

Windows 7 is really nice too. I haven't had many problems running the release candidate version that I have on my desktop. 7 is built off of Vista from my understanding. In a way it's like adding a service pack, so if Vista works well for law as another user indicated, I would imagine 7 would be fine too.

If you do get a mac, you can also run win7 too through bootcamp or a virtual program. Although I will say that my mac ran rather hot when running win7 through it.

- Patrick

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:11 pm

elex360 wrote:Windows 7 is really nice too. I haven't had many problems running the release candidate version that I have on my desktop. 7 is built off of Vista from my understanding. In a way it's like adding a service pack, so if Vista works well for law as another user indicated, I would imagine 7 would be fine too.

If you do get a mac, you can also run win7 too through bootcamp or a virtual program. Although I will say that my mac ran rather hot when running win7 through it.

- Patrick
You're severely understating (if not insulting) Windows 7. While it is "built off of" Vista (as Vista was "built off of" XP), it's the greatest and most major Windows upgrade since 3.1 to 95. I have a brand-new top of the line ThinkPad T400, and Windows 7 hauls major ass in comparison to Vista (and Vista runs fine). There are also new features (such as the taskbar) that make it incredibly better than Vista.

patentlaw

New

Post by patentlaw » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:16 pm

djshack wrote: You're severely understating (if not insulting) Windows 7. While it is "built off of" Vista (as Vista was "built off of" XP), it's the greatest and most major Windows upgrade since 3.1 to 95. I have a brand-new top of the line ThinkPad T400, and Windows 7 hauls major ass in comparison to Vista (and Vista runs fine). There are also new features (such as the taskbar) that make it incredibly better than Vista.
Even Steve Ballmer called Windows 7 "Windows Vista, a lot better" Windows 3.1 to 95 was a huge change in code and functionality. XP to Vista was a huge codebase change as well. Vista to 7 is nowhere near the amount of technical change as 3.1 to 95 or XP to Vista. Windows 7 does have many major changes, but from a purely technical standpoint, it's not even in the same ballpark as 3.1 to 95.

vut

New

Post by vut » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:32 pm

patentlaw wrote:
djshack wrote: You're severely understating (if not insulting) Windows 7. While it is "built off of" Vista (as Vista was "built off of" XP), it's the greatest and most major Windows upgrade since 3.1 to 95. I have a brand-new top of the line ThinkPad T400, and Windows 7 hauls major ass in comparison to Vista (and Vista runs fine). There are also new features (such as the taskbar) that make it incredibly better than Vista.
Even Steve Ballmer called Windows 7 "Windows Vista, a lot better" Windows 3.1 to 95 was a huge change in code and functionality. XP to Vista was a huge codebase change as well. Vista to 7 is nowhere near the amount of technical change as 3.1 to 95 or XP to Vista. Windows 7 does have many major changes, but from a purely technical standpoint, it's not even in the same ballpark as 3.1 to 95.
I agree with you both. Windows 7 is more of an incremental update to the improved kernel, albeit a very large one. However, djshack also has a point because Windows 7 introduces major changes to the user interface that haven't been seen since the 3.1-95 upgrade. I think October 22 will likely be the first time since Windows 95 that people will rush to the store to get Windows 7.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:27 am

vut wrote:
patentlaw wrote:
I agree with you both. Windows 7 is more of an incremental update to the improved kernel, albeit a very large one. However, djshack also has a point because Windows 7 introduces major changes to the user interface that haven't been seen since the 3.1-95 upgrade. I think October 22 will likely be the first time since Windows 95 that people will rush to the store to get Windows 7.
I already pre-ordered my copy. I never thought I'd live to see the day when I pre-order a Microsoft product. And to think I used to use Macs....

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:37 am

Just to update on my new mac that broke a week after getting it - They gave me a brand new computer.... or, well, they were going to, but they were out of them. They had the basic 13", but i had the "one on steroids" (as I like to call it) .... as soon as they get one in they are giving me a new one, and they gave me a USB adapter for the one i currently have (and didn't charge me for it, as long as i return it when i get the new computer) that will make the headphone jack work.

So, as long as they get a shipment in of my computer in soon, all is fine. They are shipping mine back to Cupertino to be looked at, as is standard with any strange problems on the newly released ones... they like to "capture" them rather than fix them, so they can figure out what is causing it. So, mac customer service = A+ as long as I get that new one soon!

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:55 am

Ok this thread is too long to go through. Would anyone who's aware about what's going on here tell me what the favorite laptop is and what programs are a must? I would really appreciate it. I'm thinking of buying one today or tomorrow. Thanks!

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:12 am

pammy1985 wrote:Ok this thread is too long to go through. Would anyone who's aware about what's going on here tell me what the favorite laptop is and what programs are a must? I would really appreciate it. I'm thinking of buying one today or tomorrow. Thanks!
If I'm not mistaken, the consensus is:

PC: Lenovo T400 (or X300/x301) - the x300 gets my vote, that's what I got.
Mac: I think MacBookPro (I think, though I've not been paying much attention to the apple discussions)
Netbook: Tossup between Samsung NC10 and some Asus (again, not paying too much attention to that discussion).

Programs: both PC and MAC - Microsoft's OneNote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please forgive me if I'm mistaken about this summation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:23 am

UNC2009 wrote:
pammy1985 wrote:Ok this thread is too long to go through. Would anyone who's aware about what's going on here tell me what the favorite laptop is and what programs are a must? I would really appreciate it. I'm thinking of buying one today or tomorrow. Thanks!

Mac: I think MacBookPro (I think, though I've not been paying much attention to the apple discussions)
Netbook: Tossup between Samsung NC10 and some Asus (again, not paying too much attention to that discussion).

Thanks so much!!! :D So you yourself would prefer a laptop over a notebook? Is it the size or something else?

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:29 am

pammy1985 wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:

Thanks so much!!! :D So you yourself would prefer a laptop over a notebook? Is it the size or something else?
Pammy, if thinking mac, make sure Fordham is mac-friendly! Also, to me, a netbook was way to small a screen to write notes on even, so while the size is "cute" and easy to move around, that is something to keep in mind. I agree that the smaller screens are nice, but maybe not "netbook" small, unless you are comfortable with it and have a second monitor or a desktop to use for extensive writing at home.... just stuff i would keep in mind as I shopped.

(I ended up with a 13" macbook pro, but the lenovo T400 was a very close second)

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 am

hoffb86 wrote:
pammy1985 wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:

Pammy, if thinking mac, make sure Fordham is mac-friendly! Also, to me, a netbook was way to small a screen to write notes on even, so while the size is "cute" and easy to move around, that is something to keep in mind. I agree that the smaller screens are nice, but maybe not "netbook" small, unless you are comfortable with it and have a second monitor or a desktop to use for extensive writing at home.... just stuff i would keep in mind as I shopped.

(I ended up with a 13" macbook pro, but the lenovo T400 was a very close second)
Thanks Hoff. I definitely don't want a Mac, too complicated for me. But lenovo T400 sounds good. I'm gonna go check them out today. I just hope it's not too heavy.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:08 am

pammy1985 wrote:
Thanks Hoff. I definitely don't want a Mac, too complicated for me. But lenovo T400 sounds good. I'm gonna go check them out today. I just hope it's not too heavy.
My Lenovo x300 is 3 lbs. I got it from Buy.com for about $1200. I love it. I also used the "Bing Cashback program" to find my laptop on Buy.com and will be getting $100 back next month. I LOVE my X300!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:23 am

Friends and family discount from Lenovo was a great deal too! Look for that in this thread, its been posted a couple times.

patentlaw

New

Post by patentlaw » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 pm

hoffb86 wrote:Friends and family discount from Lenovo was a great deal too! Look for that in this thread, its been posted a couple times.
There's another Lenovo deal going on right now, coupon code USPNOTEBOOKS

see: http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/cheap- ... deals/1856

I haven't done a price comparison between the two deals, but it may be worth speccing out the two to see which one is the better deal (I would imagine the friends and family one, but you never know).

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:09 pm

lucydog

New

Post by lucydog » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:24 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Image
At 11.6 pounds it probably weighs more some people's desktops. lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:27 pm

What about VAIO? Would that be a terrible choice?

vut

New

Post by vut » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:54 am

pammy1985 wrote:What about VAIO? Would that be a terrible choice?
It should be noted you do not really need a powerful computer for law school. There are even people choosing to go with netbooks. So there is really no terrible choice, as long as you can type comfortably on it. Although, the SR and Z series look very solid.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:47 am

hoffb86 wrote:Just to update on my new mac that broke a week after getting it - They gave me a brand new computer.... or, well, they were going to, but they were out of them. They had the basic 13", but i had the "one on steroids" (as I like to call it) .... as soon as they get one in they are giving me a new one, and they gave me a USB adapter for the one i currently have (and didn't charge me for it, as long as i return it when i get the new computer) that will make the headphone jack work.

So, as long as they get a shipment in of my computer in soon, all is fine. They are shipping mine back to Cupertino to be looked at, as is standard with any strange problems on the newly released ones... they like to "capture" them rather than fix them, so they can figure out what is causing it. So, mac customer service = A+ as long as I get that new one soon!
Glad they got it taken care of for you. It can be a pain having a non-standard configuration when stuff like this comes up. For future reference if you need another repair and can't make it to an apple store the mail in service is super fast for most small repairs. I had to get my fan replaced (started making a lot of noise after taking a little fall) and I called on friday, had the box monday morning, dropped it off at fedex around 5 on monday and had it back by noon Wednesday. I couldn't have been happier (working in IT I have seen how hard it can be getting parts from certain companies).

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:10 am

lucydog wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Image
At 11.6 pounds it probably weighs more some people's desktops. lol
It's funny that you brought that up. I was actually seriously looking at the m15x. Significant problem seems to be battery life, but I'm wondering if using "study" settings might make it last the day (or at least in classes without power plugs) without a problem.

And this brings me to another concern I've had. In determining whether to get a Mac or PC, I've found some really great PCs that I would like (and have been leaning towards those as they're cheaper and seem to offer as much if not more) but always run into the problem of comparing their battery longevity specs with Macs. Owners of Macs, do you find their battery-life approximations to be accurate, or as some articles online have suggested, do you think that they might just turn on the computer and let it sit with the dimmest lights, doing nothing to achieve higher results than PC competitors?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”