Tell me all you know about Idaho Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tiller1985

New

Re: Tell me all you know about Idaho Law

Post by Tiller1985 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Know nothing about the law school itself, but...

If you enjoy hunting, fishing, beautiful scenery, mormons, a low cost of living, a lower salary than the northeast, limited flexibility with your degree, simple livin', legalized gambling (Jackpot, Nevada is right over the border), Boise, potatoes and a more personal law school education...I would go with Idaho.

jwkempf

New

Post by jwkempf » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
swheat wrote: Idaho is literally the dullest state in the country.
Wyoming, Montana, and South Dakota would like to have a word with you.
+100

Idaho has great placement in Idaho, and good chances in rural Washington/Montana/Oregon. Could probably get a job in Spokane too if you try hard. Also, according to many Gonzaga Law Alum, and most Idaho Law Alum, Idaho provides a better education than Gonzaga, which just bumped up to top 100. I realize you probably didn't apply to Gonzaga, but it is the most comparable school in the region.

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:38 pm

Also, aren't you PT at UCONN? You definitely gotta put the 3 vs. 4 years on the table, even if you plan to transfer to FT at UCONN (as there is a chance that it wouldn't happen).

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 pm

Jones, Dow wrote:I'm sure most of these people have never been to Idaho. Northern Idaho is beautiful, and it sounds like you enjoy the outdoors. Boise is a cool, growing city, and I'm sure you'd be able to find a good job there. It's also a wonderful place to raise a family (I have some friends there who love it). Obviously UCONN is the more prestigious school by a lot, but Idaho might be a better fit for you and your family. There's more to life than money (unless, of course, you wanna be a BALLER).

Also, my wife had a child in my first year of grad school (we're over 2,000 miles away from our parents) and it was really, really hard. It might be worth it to be closer to your family so someone can more easily come and help you out, because odds are you'll need it.

EDIT: I totally didn't even answer the question...I don't know a damn thing about Idaho's law school except that it's cheap and in a pretty area. haha.
+1 I'm not from Idaho, but I love the state and the greater mountain west as a whole. It just depends on what you're into, but Idaho is a state worth visiting for all of those who are from a concrete jungle back east. Idaho can claim Yellowstone National Park (in part), and Cour de alene; both beautiful areas. Arnold Schwarzanegger, Bruce Willis, and Demi Moore/Ashton Kutcher all own property in Idaho, so it can't be that bad....

Anyway, if that is where you really want to stay, then Idaho Law might make sense for you; however, I'm sure that a degree from UCONN (or any other passable school for that matter) would still get you work in Boise.

Good luck!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:53 pm

Jones, Dow wrote:Also, aren't you PT at UCONN? You definitely gotta put the 3 vs. 4 years on the table, even if you plan to transfer to FT at UCONN (as there is a chance that it wouldn't happen).
Yes, you are correct.

Man there has really been some good points made on this thread! I agree dow jones, pt/ft. is definitely a consideration. I also agree with the poster above that Gonzaga is a good comparison and that Idaho is a better school. The 100 student class is really awesome too, I agree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mavisrae

New

Post by mavisrae » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:13 pm

I was born in Idaho, lived there most of my life, and attended undergrad there. Even as I write those words, the pain of living in that state continues to haunt me. Here are some of my reasons to avoid this mental state (because that's really what Idaho is):

1) Most of the state is NOT pretty. There are mountains, but cold, rocky, bleak, windswept ones. There are lakes, but most are iced over 9 months out of the year. There is hunting and fishing, but it's all ranch owned land.
2) Idaho has a state legislature and governor who rule with an iron-fist, promoting backward, nonacademic, irrational ideas about economics, the environment, and education. If you want to practice law in a state that understands very little about legal philosophy and even less about what the rest of the country thinks, jump right in, dude. Even more so, if you want to spend the rest of your life litigating over water rights, enjoy potato country.
3) The cost of living=low=NOTHING TO OFFER. Seriously. If you don't live in Boise, then plan on $50K for the rest of your life.
4) If you go to Idaho, you'll probably have to practice in Idaho, which means you'll start/raise a family there. Your children will go through a broken, underfunded educational system, with very little opportunity for exposure to the arts, to advanced classes, and to networking with higher ed. If your kids end up being self-motivated, it will take them years of struggle and independent study to dig themselves out of the hole that living in such a place has created.
5) The University of Idaho (which, I'm assuming is the school about which you are debating) is virtually unknown anywhere else in the country and isn't even highly regarded in the West. Contrary to what has been said on this post, most U of I grads end up working in one place: Boise. The outlying cities are dominated by private practices run by guys who went to who-knows-where. Even within Boise, you'll be facing competition from the neighbor to the south with grads coming from higher ranked schools like BYU and U of U.

Look, the decision is yours and you ultimately have to decide what's right for you and your family. But no scholarship money or job opportunity would EVER make me drag my sorry carcass back to that place.

Good luck.
Last edited by mavisrae on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:15 pm

Adam Kunz wrote:I was born in Idaho, lived there most of my life, and attended undergrad there. Even as I write those words, the pain of living in that state continues to haunt me. Here are some of my reasons to avoid this mental state (because that's really what Idaho is):

1) Most of the state is NOT pretty. There are mountains, but cold, rocky, bleak, windswept ones. There a lakes, but most are iced over 9 months out of the year. There is hunting and fishing, but it's all ranch owned land.
2) Idaho has a state legislature and governor who rule with an iron-fist, promoting backward, nonacademic, irrational ideas about economics, the environment, and education. If you want to practice law in a state that understands very little about legal philosophy and even less about what the rest of the country thinks, jump right in, dude. Even more so, if you want to spend the rest of your life litigating over water rights, enjoy potato country.
3) The cost of living=low=NOTHING TO OFFER. Seriously. If you don't live in Boise, then plan on $50K for the rest of your life.
4) If you go to Idaho, you'll probably have to practice in Idaho, which means you'll start/raise a family there. Your children will go through a broken, underfunded educational system, with very little opportunity for exposure to the arts, to advanced classes, and to networking with higher ed. If your kids end up being self-motivated, it will take them years of struggle and independent study to dig themselves out of the hole that living in such a place has created.
5) The University of Idaho (which, I'm assuming is the school about which you are debating) is virtually unknown anywhere else in the country and isn't even highly regarded in the West. Contrary to what has been said on this post, most U of I grads end up working in one place: Boise. The outlying cities are dominated by private practices run by guys who went to who-knows-where. Even within Boise, you'll be facing competition from the neighbor to the south with grads coming from higher ranked schools like BYU and U of U.

Look, the decision is yours and you ultimately have to decide what's right for you and your family. But no scholarship money or job opportunity would EVER make me drag my sorry carcass back to that place.

Good luck.

Granted, I've never been to Idaho, but this is pretty much what I imagine the state to be like.

mrdal

New

Post by mrdal » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:20 pm

swheat wrote:UCONNNNNNNNNNNN

Idaho is literally the dullest state in the country.

I know the feeling though. I'm second guessing Hastings for Colorado and San Diego over $$. Just plan for 30 year repayment and hope that Obama passes some debt forgiveness shit.

If by dull you mean Idaho has the most wilderness of any state in the continental US and also has the most runnable white water, world class skiing, and has celebrities and bigwigs of all types tripping over themselves to buy homes here, then yes it is very dull and you should most definitely never come here.

mavisrae

New

Post by mavisrae » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:40 pm

mrdal wrote:If by dull you mean Idaho has the most wilderness of any state in the continental US and also has the most runnable white water, world class skiing, and has celebrities and bigwigs of all types tripping over themselves to buy homes here, then yes it is very dull and you should most definitely never come here.
Sorry...I haven't seen a whole lot celebrities running around that place. If you're counting the people who buy a home in Sun Valley so that they can come stay for one week out of the year, then maybe I can see your point. Not a good enough reason to go get a law degree there, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:46 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
A state is only as dull as the person criticizing it...so yea.

Also to Law and Order: Suck it, you POS.

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:51 pm

As someone who's traveled extensively and spent time in 46 states, I can say that Idaho is one of the most spectacularly beautiful places I've seen--particularly the panhandle. Soak in the hot springs up in the northern forest while the snow is falling and you'll find it hard to leave. Boise is a cool town, and a growing one. On the other side of the ledger, Hartford is Hartford. Given your choice, OP, I'd pick Idaho in a heartbeat.

(Pick any city or state on the map and you can find someone who hates it there and is itching to get out. Make the decision that's right for you and your family.)

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:58 pm

Idaho is a very beautiful place. It's an excellent place to spend a nice 1-2 week vacation.

If you like a rural lifestyle and want to own lots of land, Idaho is theoretically a good idea - except the nice places have all been bought up by out-of-staters and everything's expensive (maybe the recession will help with that? but probably not in time for OP to accumulate enough of a salary as a prosecutor to come close to affording everything). Owning a farm is feasible, though really that's more likely in Eastern Washington. Boise is a really great small city that is underrated. On the other hand, I can imagine it being very difficult to get the kind of job OP wants there. Considering that there's a good chance the eventual home will be somewhere like Pasco or Pocatello... :|

If you've never visited the Tri-Cities or the secondary cities of Southern Idaho, I'd urge you to visit before committing. (If you do get to that part of Idaho, make sure to check out Craters of the Moon, which is amazing, and America's first civilian nuclear reactor. I have no recommendations for Richland.)

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:01 am

New Madrid wrote:As someone who's traveled extensively and spent time in 46 states, I can say that Idaho is one of the most spectacularly beautiful places I've seen--particularly the panhandle. Soak in the hot springs up in the northern forest while the snow is falling and you'll find it hard to leave. Boise is a cool town, and a growing one. On the other side of the ledger, Hartford is Hartford. Given your choice, OP, I'd pick Idaho in a heartbeat.

(Pick any city or state on the map and you can find someone who hates it there and is itching to get out. Make the decision that's right for you and your family.)
Thank you for this post, it means a lot.

As for career prospects, the school had 99% of it's grads reporting and only about 9% of those grads were unemployed or in the dreadful "business and industry" category, so 90% employed in law jobs. Not too shabby IMO.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:08 am

I love Idaho. It has the most wilderness land of any state but Alaska. There are no roads across its interior. I know a few people who went to Idaho law and have had solid careers in the state. There are people from Idaho working in Seattle, but it is probably a difficult move.

I wouldn't go there and expect to easily leave the state, but you could do much worse.
Last edited by bgc on Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:05 am

Adam Kunz wrote:
mrdal wrote:If by dull you mean Idaho has the most wilderness of any state in the continental US and also has the most runnable white water, world class skiing, and has celebrities and bigwigs of all types tripping over themselves to buy homes here, then yes it is very dull and you should most definitely never come here.
Sorry...I haven't seen a whole lot celebrities running around that place. If you're counting the people who buy a home in Sun Valley so that they can come stay for one week out of the year, then maybe I can see your point. Not a good enough reason to go get a law degree there, though.
Exactly...make your money elsewhere and buy a vacation home in Idaho

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:36 am

A'nold wrote:
New Madrid wrote:As someone who's traveled extensively and spent time in 46 states, I can say that Idaho is one of the most spectacularly beautiful places I've seen--particularly the panhandle. Soak in the hot springs up in the northern forest while the snow is falling and you'll find it hard to leave. Boise is a cool town, and a growing one. On the other side of the ledger, Hartford is Hartford. Given your choice, OP, I'd pick Idaho in a heartbeat.

Thank you for this post, it means a lot.

As for career prospects, the school had 99% of it's grads reporting and only about 9% of those grads were unemployed or in the dreadful "business and industry" category, so 90% employed in law jobs. Not too shabby IMO.
It's a tough decision and I wish you the best. I turned down several T1 schools (including UConn) for a T2 in a location that was closest to family, and in the area where we want to settle down. Just returned from a visit there, and I have no regrets whatsoever. Like Idaho, it's inexpensive and the best school in the state--and I'm looking at government work too.
Last edited by New Madrid on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:38 am

If I were looking at Idaho vs. other Northwest lower-tier schools, I might still go with Idaho. You can get in-state before too long, and tuition is quite affordable. I'd take it over Gonzaga or Willamette. That doesn't mean things are coming up roses, but I'd choose it over those two schools.

If you're fine making small money in a small market, then I say go for it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 am

katjust wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:
A state is only as dull as the person criticizing it...so yea.

Also to Law and Order: Suck it, you POS.
Dang. You got me. :(

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:54 am

I've never been to Idaho, A'nold, but my previous roommate grew up in Sun Valley, and loved it. Her general description: Cold. Snow. Skiing! SKIING! Nature! Beauty! Space! (This last concern came up because we were sharing a 600 sq foot apartment at the time, and we only had one bathroom.

I want you to be happy, but here is something to consider; Would it really be that much easier to visit your family from Idaho than from UConn? You'd still have to fly, right? If your family was in Boise, I would say that this might be a great choice. Given that they are not...

I am begging you to go to UConn, for the sake of your future career. Neither degree is T14 level portable, but a UConn degree >>>>>>>>an Idaho degree, outside of Idaho.

Let's put this another way:
I personally regret not sending an app to UConn, but I would have Lasik surgery with no anesthesia before I'd go to Idaho.

EDIT: I obviously have strong opinions on this subject, but you need to do what will make *you* happiest, even if that involves refuting them. I will be thrilled with your choice, if you are thrilled with it.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:58 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I've never been to Idaho, A'nold, but my previous roommate grew up in Sun Valley, and loved it. Her general description: Cold. Snow. Skiing! SKIING! Nature! Beauty! Space! (This last concern came up because we were sharing a 600 sq foot apartment at the time, and we only had one bathroom.

I want you to be happy, but here is something to consider; Would it really be that much easier to visit your family from Idaho than from UConn? You'd still have to fly, right? If your family was in Boise, I would say that this might be a great choice. Given that they are not...

I am begging you to go to UConn, for the sake of your future career. Neither degree is T14 level portable, but a UConn degree >>>>>>>>an Idaho degree, outside of Idaho.

Let's put this another way:
I personally regret not sending an app to UConn, but I would have Lasik surgery with no anesthesia before I'd go to Idaho.

EDIT: I obviously have strong opinions on this subject, but you need to do what will make *you* happiest, even if that involves refuting them. I will be thrilled with your choice, if you are thrilled with it.
Heed this TLS legend's advice

EscapeIdaho

New

Post by EscapeIdaho » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:16 pm

I can't wait to get out of Idaho, but I can see why people would want to live here. Parts of it are beautiful (although huge portions are hideously ugly) and the fishing/camping/outdoors is good. Idaho grads aren't going to make gobs of money but they are likely to be employed in a place that they like. If you like Idaho then it's cheap, close to family (I don't know how close), and will still offer you a fine education. Doesn't sound too bad.

On the other hand, UConn is a much better school and is more highly though of than an Idaho degree almost everywhere. UConn is much more selective with applicants so you are likely to have brighter classmates, if that's important to you. I have also heard that Idaho grads compete for the best jobs with BYU students who are looking to move back home. Since BYU is the Harvard of Utah/Idaho it's supposedly pretty tough for U of I grads to beat them out. So if hte position you want is also a position that some BYU grad wants then you are out of luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:31 pm

EscapeIdaho wrote:I can't wait to get out of Idaho, but I can see why people would want to live here. Parts of it are beautiful (although huge portions are hideously ugly) and the fishing/camping/outdoors is good. Idaho grads aren't going to make gobs of money but they are likely to be employed in a place that they like. If you like Idaho then it's cheap, close to family (I don't know how close), and will still offer you a fine education. Doesn't sound too bad.

On the other hand, UConn is a much better school and is more highly though of than an Idaho degree almost everywhere. UConn is much more selective with applicants so you are likely to have brighter classmates, if that's important to you. I have also heard that Idaho grads compete for the best jobs with BYU students who are looking to move back home. Since BYU is the Harvard of Utah/Idaho it's supposedly pretty tough for U of I grads to beat them out. So if hte position you want is also a position that some BYU grad wants then you are out of luck.
This may be true, but UConn isn't exactly the top school in its region either. Competition could be stiff in both places, though less so in Idaho I'd imagine.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:35 pm

New Madrid wrote:
EscapeIdaho wrote:I can't wait to get out of Idaho, but I can see why people would want to live here. Parts of it are beautiful (although huge portions are hideously ugly) and the fishing/camping/outdoors is good. Idaho grads aren't going to make gobs of money but they are likely to be employed in a place that they like. If you like Idaho then it's cheap, close to family (I don't know how close), and will still offer you a fine education. Doesn't sound too bad.

This may be true, but UConn isn't exactly the top school in its region either. Competition could be stiff in both places, though less so in Idaho I'd imagine.
I don't think a school like UConn NEEDS to be the top school in its region to have competitive graduates. It may be middle of the pack in the NYC/NE region but there are a lot of legal jobs there and most UConn grads will likely end up with good, not great positions.

My impression is that schools in smaller legal markets DO need to be tops in the region to be worthwhile...see CU Boulder, Alabama, etc. versus Arkansas, Ole Miss, Idaho, et.c

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:42 pm

swheat wrote:I don't think a school like UConn NEEDS to be the top school in its region to have competitive graduates. It may be middle of the pack in the NYC/NE region but there are a lot of legal jobs there and most UConn grads will likely end up with good, not great positions.

My impression is that schools in smaller legal markets DO need to be tops in the region to be worthwhile...see CU Boulder, Alabama, etc. versus Arkansas, Ole Miss, Idaho, et.c
One of the things I've found interesting on TLS is that people are so quick to jump on Ole Miss and USC as good choices, since they're #1 in their state. Well, yes, but many of the jobs will be low-paying and there's not a lot of room to go up. Also, there's still some level of competition - below-median USC and Ole Miss grads do struggle to find work. This isn't a big deal if you actually want to live in that state. And, that means wanting to live in that state + being realistic about it. Not dreaming about Charleston when you're likelier to end up in Columbia or Greenville, or wanting to live in Sun Valley when you're likelier to end up in Idaho Falls. (Not that Idaho Falls is a bad city, but it's not what people seem to be envisioning.)

There's a reason why there are more law schools in bigger markets.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:53 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”