Reasonable_Man is Right Law School Can be a Terrible Choice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
srb

New

Re: Reasonable_Man is Right Law School Can be a Terrible Choice

Post by srb » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 pm

BTW, anyone else think it's funny that OP calls Hofstra "Hofstttra" when he went to Vermont? I do. I find it funny. :lol:

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:41 pm

blondie wrote:
Jay Phatsby wrote:
ihateusnews wrote:I attended a TTT, and was not as fortunate as him. I grew up on Long Island, and went to Ramapo College in Jersey. Had some good opportunities with my Management degree, but passed them up to go to law school.

I got into Hofstra, Seton Hall, and Vermont Law (my mother's a hippie so we used to go to Vermont on vacation). Seton Hall was expensive at sticker, and Hofstra and Vermont offered me scholarships. I chose Vermont because it was cheaper and HofsTTTra's bar passage rate is awful.

So three years later, in 2008, I was unable to secure a decent job in NYC or Long Island. I graduated in the top 15% of my class at Vermont, but kept on losing out to Hofstra, Touro, Brooklyn Law School, St. John's, and New York Law School grads. My girlfriend is a medical school student on Long Island, and I really wanted to return, so I graduated jobless, even though employers in Vermont were very interested in me.

I took and passed the New York and Massachusetts bars, and recently started working 2 days a week for a solo in the Bronx. If that's not bad enough, I am a waiter at IHOP in Massapequa to pay the bills while I search for something better. It annoys me that law schools are so local in recruitment scope. I really think that I have more to offer than someone toward the bottom of the class at New York Law School or Touro, but unfortunately employers do not agree. Hofstra is an especially large toilet.

I have a management degree from undergrad, and an MBA obtained with night and summer classes from a nearby college. However, non-law employers screen me out of consideration because they think a law degree makes me overqualified and I would be a huge flight risk to leave for a higher-paying legal job.

At least my girlfriend is somewhat understanding. Her cousin is a Cooley Law graduate, so I look good compared to him.
listen to this man's wise advice
"Wise?" Did I miss something? Or did Big Bird declare that today is "opposite day?"

The guy had job opportunities in Vermont, he passed them up to work at IHop and deliver pizzas so he could be closer to his girlfriend. He can't have his pancakes and eat them too.
HAAAAAAAAAA...maybe the best line on TLS today

iamlife1001

New

Post by iamlife1001 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:46 pm

i am actually surprised he's calling his law degree a poor choice when he actually had interest in vermont

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:49 pm

I never thought I would actually say this to anyone but... You should have gone to Hofstra.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Damn, people in glass houses...

My likely school of deposit just slid from #88 to #94. I'm not "terrified" of attending, I just know I will be working in Boston, and not New York, if I make this choice.

Why on earth doesn't OP return to Vermont? It's not such a horrible place!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:07 pm

ihateusnews wrote:I attended a TTT, and was not as fortunate as him. I grew up on Long Island, and went to Ramapo College in Jersey. Had some good opportunities with my Management degree, but passed them up to go to law school.

I got into Hofstra, Seton Hall, and Vermont Law (my mother's a hippie so we used to go to Vermont on vacation). Seton Hall was expensive at sticker, and Hofstra and Vermont offered me scholarships. I chose Vermont because it was cheaper and HofsTTTra's bar passage rate is awful.

So three years later, in 2008, I was unable to secure a decent job in NYC or Long Island. I graduated in the top 15% of my class at Vermont, but kept on losing out to Hofstra, Touro, Brooklyn Law School, St. John's, and New York Law School grads. My girlfriend is a medical school student on Long Island, and I really wanted to return, so I graduated jobless, even though employers in Vermont were very interested in me.

I took and passed the New York and Massachusetts bars, and recently started working 2 days a week for a solo in the Bronx. If that's not bad enough, I am a waiter at IHOP in Massapequa to pay the bills while I search for something better. It annoys me that law schools are so local in recruitment scope. I really think that I have more to offer than someone toward the bottom of the class at New York Law School or Touro, but unfortunately employers do not agree. Hofstra is an especially large toilet.

I have a management degree from undergrad, and an MBA obtained with night and summer classes from a nearby college. However, non-law employers screen me out of consideration because they think a law degree makes me overqualified and I would be a huge flight risk to leave for a higher-paying legal job.

At least my girlfriend is somewhat understanding. Her cousin is a Cooley Law graduate, so I look good compared to him.
Didn't know people actually graduated from Cooley.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:17 pm

Blindmelon wrote:My best advice for you is to propose to your girlfriend. Given your current employment, etc. bagging a doctor would be ideal. She could help you pay off your loans, and you could be a stay at home dad.
+1 :lol:

OP, in all honestly how did you not understand the concept of regional vs national law school prior to attending law school? Did you go on a whim?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:22 pm

Vermont is one of my favorites states in the country. You should have stayed there--you'd have a good job by now.

Hyder

New

Post by Hyder » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:25 pm

Why didn;t you stay in Vermont? For a girl? Grow a pair.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zonkadonk

New

Post by zonkadonk » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:27 pm

Blindmelon wrote:My best advice for you is to propose to your girlfriend. Given your current employment, etc. bagging a doctor would be ideal. She could help you pay off your loans, and you could be a stay at home dad.
+1 :D

edit: didn't read all the way, doinmybest seems to have nailed this already. i'm leaving it up, though, because you just really, really need to do this.

Hyder

New

Post by Hyder » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:32 pm

zonkadonk wrote:
+1 :D

edit: didn't read all the way, doinmybest seems to have nailed this already. i'm leaving it up, though, because you just really, really need to do this.
Doctors have loans too.

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:33 pm

blondie wrote:This is absolutely ridiculous. The OP failed to do his research prior to choosing a law school. He attended a regional school with the intention of gaining employment outside the school's reach upon graduation. Gee, no wonder it's been hard.

It's pretty stupid, IMO, that he would rather work at IHop than try once again to land a job in Vermont. Surely it would put a strain on his relationship, but at least he could gain some experience that might eventually make him more appealing to employers closer to where he wants to live. Anything has got to be better than slinging pancakes and french toast for a living.
But he needs to stay close to his future sugar momma.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:34 pm

Hyder wrote:Doctors have loans too.
Right, it's better to be single in his state than to be married to a doctor.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
rayiner wrote:So you went to a no-name school in Vermont, got interest from employers in Vermont, and are now lamenting your terrible choice?
Yes.

Law school can be a terrible choice if you do no research, have unrealistic expectations, and do not understand how the legal market works.

So, umm, don't do those things.
<3

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:48 pm

:lol: I give Reasonable_Man credit for being reasonable.

You're just dumb.

Mmmmmmm.... stuffed french toast! :D Excellent.

ihateusnews

New

Post by ihateusnews » Mon May 11, 2009 9:42 pm

I was just offered a full-time job at A Family Law Firm in Jericho, LI last week. Granted I only make $25k plus $1000 to go towards health insurance, but at least it's where I want to be. I quit IHOP too becuase I want to have my nights off to see my girl.

EDIT: I decided to stay with my Bronx solo for whom I was working part-time, who offered me $20k a year full-time, because I like it there more
Last edited by ihateusnews on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Mon May 11, 2009 9:44 pm

ihateusnews wrote:I started a new full-time job at a family law firm in Jericho, LI last week. Granted I only make $25k plus $1000 to go towards health insurance, but at least it's where I want to be. I quit IHOP too becuase I want to have my nights off to see my girl.
Huzzah!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Tue May 12, 2009 2:30 am

Is it necessary to shit all over this guy's life and his choices?

Flame him because he made a stupid, redundant thread that informs people of nothing. No need to bring his personal life into this; the thread fails on its own merits.

uphill

New

Post by uphill » Tue May 12, 2009 2:32 am

This is what all these threads sound like at this point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16KpquGsIc

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue May 12, 2009 3:05 am

uphill wrote:This is what all these threads sound like at this point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16KpquGsIc
Funny, I see that youtube vid as a metaphor for TLS in general.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:17 am

TTT can be a terrible choice, or it can make sense if you want to take advantage of a scholarship and stay in that region.

Anyway, it drives me nuts to see these whiny recent grads who think that their career should simply be handed to them. Life isn't a hip-hop video. You don't just graduate from law school and get a pimped-out Escalade full of semi-clothed honnies. You can't expect to prosper without a lot of hard work and initiative. Sometimes you have to work for several years before you can get to the jobs that you want. Don't whine about it being tough, it's life!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:18 am

mrman17 wrote:TTT can be a terrible choice, or it can make sense if you want to take advantage of a scholarship and stay in that region.

Anyway, it drives me nuts to see these whiny recent grads who think that their career should simply be handed to them. Life isn't a hip-hop video. You don't just graduate from law school and get a pimped-out Escalade full of semi-clothed honnies. You can't expect to prosper without a lot of hard work and initiative. Sometimes you have to work for several years before you can get to the jobs that you want. Don't whine about it being tough, it's life!

I still love that Avatar.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:19 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
mrman17 wrote:TTT can be a terrible choice, or it can make sense if you want to take advantage of a scholarship and stay in that region.

I still love that Avatar.
Thanks! :D

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:20 am

So, when do I get my pimped-out Escalade and semi-clothed honies?

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:22 am

prezidentv8 wrote:So, when do I get my pimped-out Escalade and semi-clothed honies?

That comes with the LLM

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”