Official 2010 US News Law School Rankings Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LaffyTaffy

Bronze

Re: Official 2010 US News Law School Rankings

Post by LaffyTaffy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:11 pm

Good to see Vandy is back in its proper position

pcsean28

New

Post by pcsean28 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:02 pm

Haha that is offensive in so many ways, not the least of which is his perception that people in the marching band are only there because they didn't make the Varsity squad... umm those are the people sitting on the bench.

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:26 pm

sbalive wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
hieveryone wrote:I'm in favor of a T20. Just sounds more normal than T14.

(yes, i know the reasoning behind T14)
too much fluctuation for #19 and #20 (as evidenced by GW's "precipitous" drop lol)

i know the argument for T14 is that it's been 14 schools since nearly 20 years ago, but just based on that graph from a few posts up, it looks like 15-18 has remained the same for almost just as long

Yes, the point is that T14 have historically been a cut above the other schools, and the Group of Three have always been a notch below the T14 but above everyone else, an USC has always been a bit below UCLA but above everyone else
... and then it's the Strong State Schools - Minnesota and UNC - and recently the up and coming regional privates, Emory, WashU, along with traditionally strong regional schools like BU, BC, GW, and Fordham, along with the other Midwestern state schools mixed in - Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa.

That's the way it's pretty much been for at least 20 years. The big movers have been WashU, which has muscled into the T25, Hastings, which dropped (coinciding with Davis's rise - making total sense), and NYU which went from lower in the T14 up to the T6. Everything else is bouncing around below that.
Group of 3 distinction makes no sense either. USC has not fallen below 18 in 20+ years, UCLA and Texas both can't say that. USC has ranked as high as 15, and even 16 just two years ago. The clear distinction lies at t14 (and t3). 15-18 are in a unique spot because I think it will be a long time before they challenge anyone in the t14, and a long time before anyone currently ranked below 18 challenges.

edit: USC was 19 for one year (2001), I forgot about that.

ria29

New

Post by ria29 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:48 pm

zonkadonk wrote:that chart is freaking nuts. awesome...but nuts. now do all of tier 1, just to see if it will induce a seizure
ahaha that made me chortle...

johndoe

New

Post by johndoe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:06 pm

Why is Brooklyn ranked so low? Its median LSAT score is 2-3 points higher than schools like Wisconsin (#35), and is well higher than nearly all of the schools ranked between 50-60.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
hieveryone wrote:T18 it is, if only to make Observationalist and others happy ;)
FTR, I just said T18 makes more sense than T20. I'm still in favor of the T14 distinction.
T19, because WUSTL has been hanging in there the last few years.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Texas ties GULC next year. w00t

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:23 pm

Esc wrote:Texas ties GULC next year. w00t
Just like UCLA was going to last year and vandy was this year.

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:29 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:
Esc wrote:Texas ties GULC next year. w00t
Just like UCLA was going to last year and vandy was this year.
but ESC wasn't attending then...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:34 pm

2010 pared down rankings using only LSAT/GPA/Assessment Scores:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =1&t=69377

homokou

New

Post by homokou » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:37 pm

Finally get this......

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:40 pm

It's good to see UChicago back in T6 where it belongs, IMO, instead of being ranked below B and tied with Penn.

I'm also glad to see Texas rise to 15th spot (I predicted it would go upwards, so yay for me!), though I'm sorry Vanderbilt's down since I really like that school.

UVA is under ranked and shouldn't be tied with NU. I expect that will correct itself as soon as this year's cycle catches up with the rankings, however.

And Michigan didn't decline. (Thank God, or we'd never hear the end of that 'state economy' hypothesis).

Overall, not a bad list.

FSUSpot

New

Post by FSUSpot » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:41 pm

cfishy305 wrote:I think a good story here is the University of Florida's 5 spot fall... widely regarded as the clear cut best law school in the state of Florida, FSU is now right on it's tail... could this be due to the extreme budget cuts that the state university system is suffering? And how will these new rankings affect how the school conducts future business so as to remain the premier institution for law in the state?
For the past couple of years FSU has had the best law school in the state of Florida. They have had a higher bar percentage, better job placement, and better starting salary. It has taken FSU a couple of admission cycles to start being more selective and adjusting their numbers. With that said keep in mind these rankings are just that, but I am happy to see both my undergrad FSU and my law school UNC move up =)
Last edited by FSUSpot on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:43 pm

johndoe wrote:Why is Brooklyn ranked so low? Its median LSAT score is 2-3 points higher than schools like Wisconsin (#35), and is well higher than nearly all of the schools ranked between 50-60.
My guess would be competition for jobs in the NYC/Long Island area. NYU, Columbia, Fordham (well maybe :lol:), Cardozo's rise, and every other T14 school. Throw in a Rutgers here and there and it looks like trouble.

saradsun

New

Post by saradsun » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:No one's mentioned Nebraska yet? They went from 73 to T3...incredible.
All I can say is.. "Thank the universe I didn't do what my family wanted."

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:28 pm

Let's see: Lawyers, professors, and judges all think UVA is better than Duke. The students at UVA have higher GPAs and LSATs than Duke. But somehow USNWR contrived up some bizarro-world math to tie the two schools. And somehow, Northwestern has assessment scores that would put it at number 15, but USNWR math bumped it to number 10. Gotcha.

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:47 pm

So, does all this mean that GULC will quit using PT to funnel low-numbers students into the full time program?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:50 pm

My measured response to UC Boulder's drop of 13 spots after rejecting me outright with a 171/3.3:

hahahahahahahaa!!!!

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:53 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:Let's see: Lawyers, professors, and judges all think UVA is better than Duke. The students at UVA have higher GPAs and LSATs than Duke. But somehow USNWR contrived up some bizarro-world math to tie the two schools. And somehow, Northwestern has assessment scores that would put it at number 15, but USNWR math bumped it to number 10. Gotcha.
How Duke is tied with UVA is mind-blowing.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:54 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:
SteelersandGators wrote:Let's see: Lawyers, professors, and judges all think UVA is better than Duke. The students at UVA have higher GPAs and LSATs than Duke. But somehow USNWR contrived up some bizarro-world math to tie the two schools. And somehow, Northwestern has assessment scores that would put it at number 15, but USNWR math bumped it to number 10. Gotcha.
pretty sure the size of school thing (reflected in expenditure stats) is playing a role there

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:54 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:
I dunno. They're not really quite as far apart as people make them out to be around here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:09 pm

sbalive wrote:I dunno. They're not really quite as far apart as people make them out to be around here.
A school's reputation on TLS has more to do with how good that schools trolls are, not how good the school is.

That said, UVA > Dook

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:11 pm

pithypike wrote:
sbalive wrote:I dunno. They're not really quite as far apart as people make them out to be around here.
A school's reputation on TLS has more to do with how good that schools trolls are, not how good the school is.

That said, UVA > Dook
duke needs to get a "thing"

uva's softball/beer cult is killing them

applepie

Bronze

Post by applepie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:15 pm

doyleoil wrote:
pithypike wrote:

That said, UVA > Dook
duke needs to get a "thing"

uva's softball/beer cult is killing them
it seems that everyone is jealous of the softball cult...disgruntled USNews employees feeling a little resentful about all the fun UVA students are having=duke rising in the rankings (just to be clear im kidding)

I have a feeling that the Duke v. UVA argument will be over next year though with the way things have been going

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:15 pm

uga down two spots?? i am heartbroken. at least i didn't pick uf, since that is now a t2. fsu tailing uf makes me wonder if they will keep rising...making me stupid for turning down their scholarship. oh well. good thing i didn't make my decision based on the rankings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”