average age of law school grads Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thatcvcvc

New

average age of law school grads

Post by thatcvcvc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:10 pm

Just curious, what is the average age of law school grads? I'm at the Naval Academy and I have a five year commitment to the Navy ahead of me. I feel like by the time I graduate law school I'm going to be behind the curve. Will this hurt me when I apply for my first job?

RVP11

Gold

Re: average age of law school grads

Post by RVP11 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:12 pm

Most schools report an average age of their entering classes to be 23 or 24. So 26-27 at graduation.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:13 pm

i'm 5yrs out of UG in may, and i'll just be starting law school in the fall....same boat as you, just with some work experience on my resume

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:14 pm

thatcvcvc wrote:Just curious, what is the average age of law school grads? I'm at the Naval Academy and I have a five year commitment to the Navy ahead of me. I feel like by the time I graduate law school I'm going to be behind the curve. Will this hurt me when I apply for my first job?
You need to get in touch with someone from the JAG office, unless you just want to serve your time and get out as quickly as possible. I looked in the JAG program as an NROTC undergrad, and it seemed like a pretty sweet deal.

By the way, I'll be 32 when I start law school later this year. I don't know if that will hurt me or not, but this is what I want to do. Work hard and you'll have no regrets.

thatcvcvc

New

Post by thatcvcvc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:30 pm

jazz,

is that going to hurt you when looking for a job?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Palma

New

Post by Palma » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:51 pm

I am glad to hear I wont be the oldest when I graduate...will be 29 :shock:
Last edited by Palma on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:01 pm

thatcvcvc wrote:jazz,

is that going to hurt you when looking for a job?
I've never had problems finding jobs. I went to a top 20 UG. I am a published biologist, and I have five years of teaching experience. Plus, I got a full scholarship to law school, so I won't have any debt. I'm not particularly concerned about my job prospects. If nothing interesting comes along, I can always go back to teaching.

Skywalker925

New

Post by Skywalker925 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:41 am

hmm i'm on the opposite side... I'll be 19 when I enter and 22 when I'm done.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:04 pm

If anything, it might help to be older as you'll stand out. Law firms don't expect or want you to stick around for 30 years, so the fact that a person might be 5 or 10 years older isn't a bad thing. Between age and military background, you might be able to show that you're more mature, better equipped to work with others, yada yada yada.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 pm

NayBoer wrote:Law firms don't expect or want you to stick around for 30 years,
I agree that being 30-40 probably isn't going to hurt anyone's employment prospects too bad, I definitely disagree that firms don't want you to stick around for a long time. If they didn't care how long you were going to be there, firms in smaller markets wouldn't care so much about your personal ties to the area.

Z25

New

Post by Z25 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:42 pm

I'll be 31 when I graduate (assuming I don't have to go through another cycle). :shock:

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Tue May 05, 2009 11:24 pm

im going to be so freaking young. agh. ill be 23 when i graduate law school, and turn 24 a few weeks later. trust me, its not a blessing. going through undergrad and never being 21 is not fun times.

edit: congrats on the naval academy! my boyfriend is in boot camp in great lakes right now. do you have to fulfill your 5 year commitment in another job, or can you go directly into JAG?
Last edited by lrw05d on Tue May 05, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue May 05, 2009 11:27 pm

elegantswan wrote:
Z25 wrote:I'll be 31 when I graduate (assuming I don't have to go through another cycle). :shock:
perfect example of really fucking old.

i will be 25 when i graduate, and this is after taking a year off.
hahahaha...I'll be 31 when I start law school...34 when I graduate. I'm not concerned about my age at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jschuyler

New

Post by jschuyler » Tue May 05, 2009 11:28 pm

elegantswan wrote:
lrw05d wrote:im going to be so freaking young. agh. ill be 23 when i graduate law school, and turn 24 a few weeks later. trust me, its not a blessing. going through undergrad and never being 21 is not fun times.
you use internet forums, i doubt you would have much fun even if you were 21+ through much of undergrad.

but graduating young is much better than graduating when you are 30+ (aka ancient dinosaur). if i were still going to school at 30+, I would consider myself a big failure.
good for you

dickfitzwell

New

Post by dickfitzwell » Tue May 05, 2009 11:28 pm

Last edited by dickfitzwell on Fri May 22, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue May 05, 2009 11:30 pm

elegantswan wrote:
lrw05d wrote:im going to be so freaking young. agh. ill be 23 when i graduate law school, and turn 24 a few weeks later. trust me, its not a blessing. going through undergrad and never being 21 is not fun times.
you use internet forums, i doubt you would have much fun even if you were 21+ through much of undergrad.

but graduating young is much better than graduating when you are 30+ (aka ancient dinosaur). if i were still going to school at 30+, I would consider myself a big failure. i mean, how embarrassing would it be to take classes with people 10+ years younger than you?
This is probably one of the most douchebaggiest and ignorant things I've ever seen written on this forum. Are you born and bred for success?
Last edited by Rocky Estoppel on Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 pm

elegantswan wrote:

but graduating young is much better than graduating when you are 30+ (aka ancient dinosaur). if i were still going to school at 30+, I would consider myself a big failure.
hmm, that statement is less "preaching to the choir" and more "the choir obnoxiously condemning the preacher". i think ill just choose to ignore it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Tue May 05, 2009 11:36 pm

I don't think your age will hurt you so much as which school you went to might. For instance, you could be in your fifties and be coming out of Harvard and i'm sure you would get offers at top firms.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue May 05, 2009 11:36 pm

I find it hilarious when internet trolls try and criticize the lives of others. You're spending your evening trolling on the internet - how much lower can you get?

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue May 05, 2009 11:38 pm

elegantswan wrote:
kak23 wrote:
elegantswan wrote:

but graduating young is much better than graduating when you are 30+ (aka ancient dinosaur). if i were still going to school at 30+, I would consider myself a big failure. i mean, how embarrassing would it be to take classes with people 10+ years younger than you?
This is probably one of the most douchebaggiest and ignorant things I've ever seen written on this forum. Are you born and bred for success?
yes, i was born and bred for success, because i pretty much knew what i was doing straight out of college, unlike those who decided to wait to apply to law school until they were daddies and mommies, lugging around 4 chillen at mcdonald's.
So, everyone who is an older student: 1. Has children. 2. Eats at McDonald's. 3. Are ignorant of their own ambitions.

Is this correct?

Seriously?

nn223

New

Post by nn223 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:40 pm

kak23 wrote:
elegantswan wrote:
Z25 wrote:I'll be 31 when I graduate (assuming I don't have to go through another cycle). :shock:

hahahaha...I'll be 31 when I start law school...34 when I graduate. I'm not concerned about my age at all.
31? What were you doing the past 10 years, jerking off?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue May 05, 2009 11:41 pm

Two in one thread? Or perhaps one person with two accounts.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Tue May 05, 2009 11:42 pm

There are going to be enough old people at your school that they'll have their own clique. You won't have to deal with us old folks. You can go hang out at bar review with the other young-uns. The rest of us will do just fine without your association. There's enough of us that we don't really need you.

Sincerely,

The McDonalds-loving breeders.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue May 05, 2009 11:42 pm

nn223 wrote:
kak23 wrote:
elegantswan wrote:

Some jerking off, yes.

Military, School, real world work also.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue May 05, 2009 11:42 pm

No, I meant two internet trolls.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”