how golden is my friend? retake or no? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DOOM

Bronze

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Post by DOOM » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:15 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
My advice: Ride that 175 into the sunset. DO NOT RETAKE! Retaking the LSAT--with a 175 in hand!--is an unnecessary ego trip. Plus, you run the risk of scoring lower.
This is probably the single best reason not to retake.

He's going to HYS. Probably will have a choice between all three.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:49 pm

DOOM wrote:Probably will have a choice between all three.
we've already established that this is not the case

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:17 pm

SimonSaysStudy wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:FWIW, Im a black UG junior right now with ~3.6 LSDAS GPA and 177 LSAT and people who actually work in admissions have told me that I will be almost a lock for Harvard next cycle. So yea, your friend should be a lock. In fact, he will likely be the top black applicant this cycle with the 175 combined with a ~3.7
seriously?
Yea seriously, i have seen numbers from last cycle(2008-2009).. only 1 black applicant with GPA of 3.5+ and LSAT 175+. You have to remember that that LSAT is already at the 99.5th percentile or so for the general population and African-Americans overall score very poorly. That would definitely make a 175 around the 99.99th percentile for black applicants.
What data are you referring to?
Data that isnt freely available.. I accessed it through someone involved in admissions.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:26 pm

I know of a black applicant with a much lower GPA and a slightly lower score than 175 who got into Harvard.

3.7 175 AA probably has a much chance at yale as a 3.7 180 AA. At Yale high numbers get your application considered, but won't get you in. At most schools the higher the better, but at Yale that isn't the case.

And he will be in at Harvard no matter what.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:50 am

Desert Fox wrote: 3.7 175 AA probably has a much chance at yale as a 3.7 180 AA. At Yale high numbers get your application considered, but won't get you in. At most schools the higher the better, but at Yale that isn't the case.
People keep saying this, but I don't think it's true. I believe the Yale admissions blog says that there are a few apps that are so strong that they don't even need to go to faculty review. People in this thread keep indicating that a 180 won't help him any more than a 175, but that just doesn't make sense. The "his numbers aren't what's holding him back" argument is silly. If a 3.7/175 gave him maybe an 80% chance of getting into Yale, a 3.7/180 would give him a higher percent chance. And even in faculty review they of course look at the numbers. Otherwise Yale's numbers might not be noticeably higher than Harvard's.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:14 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: 3.7 175 AA probably has a much chance at yale as a 3.7 180 AA. At Yale high numbers get your application considered, but won't get you in. At most schools the higher the better, but at Yale that isn't the case.
People keep saying this, but I don't think it's true. I believe the Yale admissions blog says that there are a few apps that are so strong that they don't even need to go to faculty review. People in this thread keep indicating that a 180 won't help him any more than a 175, but that just doesn't make sense. The "his numbers aren't what's holding him back" argument is silly. If a 3.7/175 gave him maybe an 80% chance of getting into Yale, a 3.7/180 would give him a higher percent chance. And even in faculty review they of course look at the numbers. Otherwise Yale's numbers might not be noticeably higher than Harvard's.
He will probably be the strongest African American candidate as is. If he were not a URM I think he'd benefit. But when you adjust his numbers for URM he is basically a 4.0/180 already

And Yale's numbers are only barely better than Harvard's.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:38 am

Desert Fox wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
He will probably be the strongest African American candidate as is. If he were not a URM I think he'd benefit. But when you adjust his numbers for URM he is basically a 4.0/180 already

I think you're exaggerating. I think being black makes his numbers look more like 3.85/180 to them, going by the common +9ish LSAT metric (raising the gpa to make up for maxed out LSAT). A 3.7/180 would be like a 4.0ish/180 to them though. I don't think he'll be the strongest African American candidate either. That's kind of ridiculous. I've known a black person or two with insane numbers. You really don't think there's even one black candidate in the cycle with something like a 4.0 and a 173+ in the application cycle? You think out of roughly 600 people who get a 175+ in a year, there isn't one black person getting one of those high scores in combination with a high gpa?

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:47 am

so, whats the verdict??

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:49 am

OP is well above Yale's median LSAT. Retaking wouldn't have helped.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:08 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

I think you're exaggerating. I think being black makes his numbers look more like 3.85/180 to them, going by the common +9ish LSAT metric (raising the gpa to make up for maxed out LSAT). A 3.7/180 would be like a 4.0ish/180 to them though. I don't think he'll be the strongest African American candidate either. That's kind of ridiculous. I've known a black person or two with insane numbers. You really don't think there's even one black candidate in the cycle with something like a 4.0 and a 173+ in the application cycle? You think out of roughly 600 people who get a 175+ in a year, there isn't one black person getting one of those high scores in combination with a high gpa?
I know for a fact that last cycle this person wouldve been among the top 2 black applicants last cycle. It isnt that unlikely that out of 600 in the general population that only a few of those(i.e. single digits) are black considering blacks overall score significantly worse than many other groups. So out of those single digits of 175+ scorers it isnt that unlikely for all but 1 to have less than a 3.5 GPA. Im not sure why you would think any differently. 175 is the 99.5th percentile for general population, it is almost certainly the 99.9xth percentile for blacks.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:15 am

GargamelITT wrote:bump with an update of the situation and a new question.

so, my friend sat on the 175 and applied to yale. he was recently rejected (to recap, black, 3.7/175 from a good private school). does retaking the LSAT and reapplying make more sense now if he really has his heart set on yale? he was a pretty consistent 178+ on PTs when we were prepping together, so i don't doubt he'd be more likely to go up than down on a retake.

thanks
Do black ppl go to Yale law? Why does your friend think he was rejected? Is he socially awkward and only have his GPA and test score to show for him? Even so, I'm surprised he got a flat out rejection. I think there is more than what you are telling.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:25 am

hiromoto45 wrote: Do black ppl go to Yale law?
:shock: ......

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:12 pm

You looked at all the black applicants to a Harvardish school? If you really did and know for a fact that there were no better candidates, then I guess I'm wrong. While I understand that blacks get lower scores, I figured that among the portion of blacks who tend to go to top schools and don't grow up in black, underfunded communities there would be more than just a few getting 175's and higher. I'm certainly getting no help from LSN on this front. :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:27 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:You looked at all the black applicants to a Harvardish school? If you really did and know for a fact that there were no better candidates, then I guess I'm wrong. While I understand that blacks get lower scores, I figured that among the portion of blacks who tend to go to top schools and don't grow up in black, underfunded communities there would be more than just a few getting 175's and higher. I'm certainly getting no help from LSN on this front. :(
LSAC ethnic applicant volume summary says 9,870 black applicants Fall 2009(of which 4,180 were admitted). I dont think that anyone doubts that a 99.5th percentile general population score is at the 99.9xth percentile for blacks. That would mean if we conservatively assume just 99.9 as the percentile, less that 10 blacks scored 175+.. if we assume something more moderate like 99.95 as the percentile rank for 175+ we get less than 5 blacks with score of 175+.. and at the extreme if we assume 99.98 as the percentile that leaves us with 1 or 2 black applicants getting a 175+.

EDIT: If not clear, the data I saw was for all black applicants at every ABA school for the cycle, not just Harvardish schools.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:48 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
Do black ppl go to Yale law?
lmao

did you really just ask this?

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:51 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:You looked at all the black applicants to a Harvardish school? If you really did and know for a fact that there were no better candidates, then I guess I'm wrong. While I understand that blacks get lower scores, I figured that among the portion of blacks who tend to go to top schools and don't grow up in black, underfunded communities there would be more than just a few getting 175's and higher. I'm certainly getting no help from LSN on this front. :(
LSAC ethnic applicant volume summary says 9,870 black applicants Fall 2009(of which 4,180 were admitted). I dont think that anyone doubts that a 99.5th percentile general population score is at the 99.9xth percentile for blacks. That would mean if we conservatively assume just 99.9 as the percentile, less that 10 blacks scored 175+.. if we assume something more moderate like 99.95 as the percentile rank for 175+ we get less than 5 blacks with score of 175+.. and at the extreme if we assume 99.98 as the percentile that leaves us with 1 or 2 black applicants getting a 175+.

EDIT: If not clear, the data I saw was for all black applicants at every ABA school for the cycle, not just Harvardish schools.
i'd never run the numbers on this, but your math looks solid to me. pretty crazy. i'm just more surprised now than i was before that he didn't get in. he's a well-rounded guy outside the numbers, no dark marks on his app, involved on campus, i'd imagine good recs, etc

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:53 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
Do black ppl go to Yale law?
lmao

did you really just ask this?
I was being facetious, but you have to wonder.

There is average of 6 black males at Yale a year.
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:00 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

Applicants =/= test takers. conclusion flawed because premise flawed.

booby87

Bronze

Post by booby87 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Damn, I guess you're right, sorry. Though I still doubt he's the top black applicant. Why didn't this guy get in?! He wasn't even waitlisted?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:37 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Damn, I guess you're right, sorry. Though I still doubt he's the top black applicant. Why didn't this guy get in?! He wasn't even waitlisted?
People know much less about the process than they like to think they do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Applicants =/= test takers. conclusion flawed because premise flawed.
Yea, No data on test takers by ethnicity but trust me, the conclusion is not flawed. Not only is the number of black applicants with 175+ and 3.5+ only a few a year.. the number of black applicants with even 165+ and 3.5+ was only around 50 last cycle if I remember correctly. Black law applicants are just much much less qualified in general. Only 4,180 of 9,870 black applicants admitted last cycle. That is just incredibly bad. My sister actually had a friend last year applying to law school. The girl was a vandy undergrad, 3.5ish gpa in criminology(i know), member of the obligatory campus organizations and after all that only scored a 140 on the LSAT. For some reason(s) the LSAT is a major hurdle for the majority of otherwise qualified black applicants.

But yea, Yale (and Stanford to a lesser extent) is just a whole different ball game. Those guys have hundreds of applicants with phds, founders of service organizations, high level work experience, etc. To a certain degree at that level it takes on the randomness that you see with high level undergrad admissions.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:19 pm

"the number of black applicants with even 165+ and 3.5+ was only around 50 last cycle "

Where did you get this information...that is not accurate at all.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:58 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:"the number of black applicants with even 165+ and 3.5+ was only around 50 last cycle "

I attended one of the diversity summer programs that LSAC sponsors with a university to promote diversity. When I updated the program on my LSAT result one of the admission officers shared some stats with me. I dont see why everyone thinks this is so shocking. Do you not realize that many T14 schools have to dip into the upper 150s to admit enough minorities?? Have you guys not heard the stories of the black males with 3.2 and 167 getting into Harvard?? We are talking about a blacks with BOTH 3.5+ and 165+. Take a peek over at the URM forum on TLS and see what you see.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:06 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:"the number of black applicants with even 165+ and 3.5+ was only around 50 last cycle "

I attended one of the diversity summer programs that LSAC sponsors with a university to promote diversity. When I updated the program on my LSAT result one of the admission officers shared some stats with me.
How would an admissions officer know the scores of all black applicants as opposed to just the scores of students that applied to their school?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”