Websites to Research Before Going to Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
law_mama

New

Re: Websites to Research Before Going to Law School

Post by law_mama » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:39 pm

..oh, and...

I have to find humor in this...its rather ironic.
Everyone talks about how you have to be in the TOP of your class to get a good job and some even claim you have to be in the TOP of the TOP schools to even GET a job. But something that I think everyone is missing is...SOMEONE has to be at the bottom of the class, no? ESPECIALLY when most schools grade on a curve, right?
Quit fooling yourself, and quit being paranoid about getting a job.
If nothing else, stick a sign in your yard that says "Law Office" :) I don't think you're going to have a hard time finding a "job".

Maybe not the one you WANT, but we will all get jobs, im confident.

yqsong

New

Post by yqsong » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:43 pm

bump

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:47 pm

More articles/opinions to read BEFORE going to law school. Most of them are citing the same article, but I wanted to demonstrate the endorsement of tips from different law blogs (not just JDU or Temporary Attorney):

"You chose law school for a reason" - The National Jurist Blog
http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/y ... ool-reason

"You (and 60,000 Others) Have Taken the LSAT. Now Read This." - WSJ Law Blog
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/11/18/you ... read-this/

"Excellent advice for anyone considering law school" - Law Prof Law Blog
http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/adjunc ... chool.html

"Is Anyone Hiring Now?" - The National Law Jurist Magazine
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... t0909/#/32

"An Open Letter To Dean Richard "The Slimeball" Matasar" - Temporary Attorney Blog
http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/2 ... eball.html

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Just to the person insulting Wyoming before F U. Wyoming is awesome. I'm glad you won't be there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:22 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bahama

Bronze

Post by bahama » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:07 pm

Jobs are scarce and the econ sucks for just about every profession not just law.

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Re: Research job prospects and the profession BEFORE law school

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:22 pm

Snooker wrote:To be realistic, most good professions have these issues: low starting salaries, hard to get your foot in the door, crushing hours at the "elite" level. From my experience in health care, I can tell you a medical technologist* takes two years to train, half fail to get jobs, and those who get them will earn in the mid-30s. Many have college degrees. Nurses can make good money, especially if specialized, but the stress they're under conjures stories of biglaw (except that demented patients occasionally assault them), and they burn out and totally leave the profession at alarming rates. I don't know as many physician assistants, but if it's anything like nursing, it's a shitty prospect as well.

Doctors require 4 years of med school, and then your starting salary is a princely $40,000 (2/3 of law), which we call "residency". If a Doctor does residency for 3 years, then works for 100k for 3 years, he'd have made 220k to pay his debts. A lawyer starting at 55k for 2 years, making 60k another 2, and 65k another 2 will have made $365k over the six years - 50% more than the doctor, with 2/3 the debt!

When I bring up the trials and tribulations of lawyers, health care people LAUGH at me. Put it in perspective. Lawyers, even TTT grads, are social elites. Any median student at a JD institution will out-earn, by around 15%, the median student of a similarly ranked MBA program. But the lawyer unemployment rate rarely hits 1%, and when it does, we call it a recession.

What does this tell us about the legal profession? First, half of you are morons for attending TTT schools charging 40k a year when there's plenty of schools charging 10-15k at the TTT level. Second, our attraction to the legal profession has made us a bunch of whiny whores who don't know a good deal when we have one.

*Anyone who operates medical equipment on behalf of a doctor, especially in medical imaging.

got some bad news for you brother...

xiao_long

New

Re: Research job prospects and the profession BEFORE law school

Post by xiao_long » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Snooker wrote:To be realistic, most good professions have these issues: low starting salaries, hard to get your foot in the door, crushing hours at the "elite" level. From my experience in health care, I can tell you a medical technologist* takes two years to train, half fail to get jobs, and those who get them will earn in the mid-30s. Many have college degrees. Nurses can make good money, especially if specialized, but the stress they're under conjures stories of biglaw (except that demented patients occasionally assault them), and they burn out and totally leave the profession at alarming rates. I don't know as many physician assistants, but if it's anything like nursing, it's a shitty prospect as well.

Doctors require 4 years of med school, and then your starting salary is a princely $40,000 (2/3 of law), which we call "residency". If a Doctor does residency for 3 years, then works for 100k for 3 years, he'd have made 220k to pay his debts. A lawyer starting at 55k for 2 years, making 60k another 2, and 65k another 2 will have made $365k over the six years - 50% more than the doctor, with 2/3 the debt!

When I bring up the trials and tribulations of lawyers, health care people LAUGH at me. Put it in perspective. Lawyers, even TTT grads, are social elites. Any median student at a JD institution will out-earn, by around 15%, the median student of a similarly ranked MBA program. But the lawyer unemployment rate rarely hits 1%, and when it does, we call it a recession.

What does this tell us about the legal profession? First, half of you are morons for attending TTT schools charging 40k a year when there's plenty of schools charging 10-15k at the TTT level. Second, our attraction to the legal profession has made us a bunch of whiny whores who don't know a good deal when we have one.

*Anyone who operates medical equipment on behalf of a doctor, especially in medical imaging.
You're excluding the fact that for the class of 2014, just under 60 percent of all law school graduates became lawyers. I'm sure all the unemployed/underemployed law graduates would love to think they are part of the "social elite", but when you have a six-figure negative net worth without a job as a lawyer, it's might be hard to feel "elitist".

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:07 pm

People, I don't think someone who wrote about jobs etc. in 2009 would hold the same opinion today, so it's not really necessary to respond.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”