So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SwollenMonkey

Silver

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue May 04, 2010 5:44 pm

jmhendri wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:I prob shouldn't post but I have lost all desire to be in work since I got into law school. I just don't want to be there. I called in sick today and I don't think I've hit a deadline since last month. Barely doing any work at all. Just wish they could fire me but I need the money!

Can't wait to leave.
Same here. I'm so confused at work it's ridiculous. I'm reading law material and I get so lost in it that I believe it affects my job performance. In short, I read a lot and forget unimportant crap...lol...
Yeah I know what you mean, people keep looking at me like I'm a moron because cannot for the life of me retain these mundane day to day admin details. I get this feeling every time I forget to get a Fed Ex package out on time or deliver a phone message that someone's looking at me like, "good luck in Law School dumbass"
People at work think I'm slow, lol.

Lisa7n99

New

Post by Lisa7n99 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:47 pm

i feel lucky as hell reading this. my boss wrote my LOR for law school and said I can "stay as long as I want" (August, need to pad the bank account as much as possible). On top of that, I actually like my job. to all those who aren't that lucky, hang in there.....most of us working people have been there before.

Concept2

New

Post by Concept2 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:51 pm

Nice thread, I have been worrying over this same topic. I own a company and have to not only finish clients jobs by August but fire employees and close shop/sell inventory etc.. I keep putting it off thinking I will just accept one more job. Anyone think that going to law school will be a difficult transition after the hectic pace of self-employment? I know I will be busy but studying will be FAR different than the constant human contact required as a manager/owner.

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Tue May 04, 2010 5:57 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:I prob shouldn't post but I have lost all desire to be in work since I got into law school. I just don't want to be there. I called in sick today and I don't think I've hit a deadline since last month. Barely doing any work at all. Just wish they could fire me but I need the money!

Can't wait to leave.
Same here. I'm so confused at work it's ridiculous. I'm reading law material and I get so lost in it that I believe it affects my job performance. In short, I read a lot and forget unimportant crap...lol...
Yeah I know what you mean, people keep looking at me like I'm a moron because cannot for the life of me retain these mundane day to day admin details. I get this feeling every time I forget to get a Fed Ex package out on time or deliver a phone message that someone's looking at me like, "good luck in Law School dumbass"
People at work think I'm slow, lol.
So glad everyone understands! I just feel completely worn out and uninterested but I have a few really big deadlines which will be over by July then I can coast out my contract.

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Tue May 04, 2010 6:02 pm

gilagarta wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:unemployment would never arrive in time.
And would never cover my ridiculous rent expenses. :)

Don't listen to the above. Unemployment is the glorious gravy train that keeps chugging throughout your first year of law school (depending on the laws of your state). HTH:

Your cell phone: ring ring....ring ring...
You: Hello?
Person on other line: Hello, this is Susan from the Unemployment office. Are you still unemployed?
You: Why, yes I am.
Susan: Have you been looking for a job?
You: Oh, all the time.
Susan: Ok then, your next check is in the mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Unemployment would be a dream come true if I weren't planning on soliciting some of the partners at my firm for a generic LOR for my summer jobs.

Just to be clear on the Kindergarten nature of my position here, right now I'm sorting colored paper, then I will be stapling for an hour, and then I will be playing with white out.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue May 04, 2010 6:32 pm

pugalicious wrote:
gilagarta wrote:

Don't listen to the above. Unemployment is the glorious gravy train that keeps chugging throughout your first year of law school (depending on the laws of your state). HTH:

Person on other line: Hello, this is Susan from the Unemployment office. Are you still unemployed?

Hmm, is that legal if you're full time?

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Tue May 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Glad to find this thread. I'm more than ready to go (leaving in mid-July). My employer knew months ago I was going to law school, but it seemed like my workload and responsibilities actually increased once they knew I was going to leave. I'm mentally pretty checked out, especially because I'm moving to a completely new city after five years in DC, and because I'm already preparing myself for the stresses and excitement of law school. The combination of more work + mental check out has not really been ideal, so these last 10 weeks cannot go fast enough.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Tue May 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Just told my boss that I'm leaving mid-July. Feels good 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:22 pm

Some of you are giving a crazy amount of time. I'm giving two weeks, no more.

redes

New

Post by redes » Tue May 04, 2010 7:23 pm

just told my boss im out at the end of july. now i have itchy feet and can't wait to vamoose. and i *like* my job.

an-tic-iiii-paaaaaa-tion

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:46 pm

June 11 is my last day, and it cannot come fast enough!

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 7:48 pm

June 13th here... we should start a count down thread!

I have:
100 days
2412 hours
144760 minutes

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 pm

trialjunky wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
gilagarta wrote:

Hmm, is that legal if you're full time?
Depends on the state, I suppose. You are supposed to be able to accept work at any time, but it is field-specific. So, technically, if there were no offers of teaching job, I would be fine. I probably won't risk it. But I WILL be collecting up until the day I start school, even if they send me the checks weeks later : ) I do know someone who still collects unemployment even though she is a full-time student, but I don't think she cares about defrauding anyone (MFA Creative Writing student).

Bailarina08

New

Post by Bailarina08 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm bailing earlier than most of you: May 19th!

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue May 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Turning in my two weeks on July 14th. Last day July 28th. Beginning the drive to Champaign on the 30th-31st.

Tweaking already.

wadeny

Bronze

Post by wadeny » Tue May 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Some of you are giving a crazy amount of time. I'm giving two weeks, no more.
Agreed. I'm probably going to give 3-4 weeks.

One of my friends (who happens to be a coworker) is going to grad school in the fall, but his supervisor found out a couple months ago and basically fired him for it. :shock: I'm not going to lie that I'm pretty jealous of where some of you guys work (i.e. grad school is seen as a positive and not a negative). I'm just trying to hold out for a few more paychecks...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue May 04, 2010 8:28 pm

It was known when I was hired that I was applying to LS and would only be able to put in a good year. It was in my cover letter when I was applying. :)

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue May 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Bailarina08 wrote:I'm bailing earlier than most of you: May 19th!

I am jelly on a side of toast of you...I wish!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Some of you are giving a crazy amount of time. I'm giving two weeks, no more.
I need time for my NC/DC/Philly/STL/SF/LA/Vegas/Austin road trip and living out of my rental car for a month. :)

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Wed May 05, 2010 6:06 am

Told my boss I am leaving today! I'm on a 1 year contract so no 'being fired' worries. Not leaving til Aug 20th though!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Wed May 05, 2010 6:31 am

pugalicious wrote:
gilagarta wrote:

If this is serious, I hope you goddamn die.

That's fraud, and I'll be finding religion any day now so that I can pray the bar rapes you.

sarahd

New

Post by sarahd » Wed May 05, 2010 7:04 am

redes wrote:just told my boss im out at the end of july. now i have itchy feet and can't wait to vamoose. and i *like* my job.

an-tic-iiii-paaaaaa-tion
+1

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Wed May 05, 2010 7:07 am

My entire job knows I'm peacing the fuck out! They want me to train someone...I will not! Well, I won't until my scores from June come back. Decisions, decisions...

Jerzeegirl

New

Post by Jerzeegirl » Wed May 05, 2010 9:13 am

Two more days until I give 2 weeks notice! I will NOT be missing the sardine-can commute (the guy with his armpit in my face this morning definitely needs to use more Dial), my crappy office building (refuses to switch on the A/C until the first of June), or the fact that I work for next to nothing. I will definitely be missing Carl's steaks, Gray's Papaya and bootleg dvd's. But truthfully, my head hasn't been in the game since I got my first acceptance back. Counting down the days. . . 13 work days to go :D :D :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”