So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
horriblegb

Bronze

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by horriblegb » Mon May 10, 2010 3:12 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote: Isn't the very fact that I am in law school (or will be) indicative that I am looking for work?
No, the opposite. The ABA prohibits you from working X many hours and prefers you work none. Most people don't work during the year. Unemployment is designed to tide people over while they find a new job they are already qualified for. no support them while they gain new skills.

Darn it!

It really depends on the state, when I was on unemployment, I did not have to look for a job because I was a full time student, and once school finished I had to look for a job. But it is a little backwards, you can still collect checks if you find a job where you can't work more than 20 hours a week, but I know some people who work a job and make sure they work 19 hours so they can collect the check. It is an easy system to take advantage of. . .
long story short, l would suggest looking into it, it may be worth your time

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Mon May 10, 2010 4:01 am

horriblegb wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote: Isn't the very fact that I am in law school (or will be) indicative that I am looking for work?
No, the opposite. The ABA prohibits you from working X many hours and prefers you work none. Most people don't work during the year. Unemployment is designed to tide people over while they find a new job they are already qualified for. no support them while they gain new skills.

Darn it!

It really depends on the state, when I was on unemployment, I did not have to look for a job because I was a full time student, and once school finished I had to look for a job. But it is a little backwards, you can still collect checks if you find a job where you can't work more than 20 hours a week, but I know some people who work a job and make sure they work 19 hours so they can collect the check. It is an easy system to take advantage of. . .
long story short, l would suggest looking into it, it may be worth your time
I'll give it a shot and see what happens.... :wink:

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 11, 2010 10:03 am

Ugh...another bullshit busywork assignment in my inbox today, to be turned in and forgotten about indefinitely by my manager.

To all the schools keeping me on their waitlists: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ADMIT ME ALREADY SO I CAN TELL THIS PLACE I AM PEACING OUT!!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:49 am

Finally put in my notice yesterday. Very excited. Last day will officially be May 31, but since that is a holiday and I work four 10s, my actual last day will be the 27th. I'll be moving to Seattle sometime in July, but decided I needed to leave work a little earlier than that so that I can finish up the final revisions necessary to get my master's thesis accepted (I've been procrastinating on that since I got a job two years ago).

utswdukie80

New

Post by utswdukie80 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:57 am

God, please let July 30th get here! I've completely checked out of this job mentally, now I'm just putting in my time, and trying to help them find my replacement...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:13 am

Just told my boss today, last day is June 30th!!!!!..........

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Tue May 11, 2010 11:13 am

Just finished writing my resignation letter and will be handing it over within the hour. This is going to be great, can't wait to see the "WTF" faces and complete silence.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 11, 2010 11:14 am

SportsFanatic wrote:Just finished writing my resignation letter and will be handing it over within the hour. This is going to be great, can't wait to see the "WTF" faces and complete silence.
Tell us all how it goes! I dream of the day!

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Tue May 11, 2010 11:20 am

Just put in my notice for my last day being July 16th... is it July yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 am

SportsFanatic wrote:Just finished writing my resignation letter and will be handing it over within the hour. This is going to be great, can't wait to see the "WTF" faces and complete silence.

Is it a "you're an asshole -I hate this job" kind of letter. If so, do post.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:26 am

People don't quit at you company?

I think I may actually be offered a promotion between now any when school starts. I'll demand a huge pay raise, because otherwise its not worth the hassle.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue May 11, 2010 11:35 am

Desert Fox wrote:

I think I may actually be offered a promotion between now any when school starts. I'll demand a huge pay raise, because otherwise its not worth the hassle.

In a similiar situation! Getting my yearly raise + bonus. I'm keeping it on the hush from HR until then.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue May 11, 2010 1:29 pm

Disassembling binders this morning. I'm slowly dying inside.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawcycle2010

New

Post by lawcycle2010 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:35 pm

maybe a dumb question but whats the best way to let my boss know im going to law school?

great boss, love my job, got help getting it from family friend so this can be very sensative...

also is 1 month enough if they need to find someone and i need to train them...should i give them 2 months??

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Tue May 11, 2010 5:12 pm

My last day is July 11th and it can't come soon enough. Three years at Starbucks has been more than enough for me :shock:

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:26 pm

lawcycle2010 wrote:maybe a dumb question but whats the best way to let my boss know im going to law school?

great boss, love my job, got help getting it from family friend so this can be very sensative...

also is 1 month enough if they need to find someone and i need to train them...should i give them 2 months??
Two weeks before you want to quit.

Hey, can I talk to you? I need to give my two weeks notice of my resignation.

Why?

I got accepted to X TTT Law School.

Why didn't you tell me sooner?

I got in off the wait list sorry.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue May 11, 2010 5:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lawcycle2010 wrote:maybe a dumb question but whats the best way to let my boss know im going to law school?

Why?

NO.

1 month is generally a good idea. Plenty of time. Its not like theres a lack of people job hunting at the moment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Tue May 11, 2010 5:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Why?

just be glad your contract doesnt require renewal six months out. fml. everyone put me on the shit list. only 60 more days now.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Why?

NO.

1 month is generally a good idea. Plenty of time. Its not like theres a lack of people job hunting at the moment.
YES. Two weeks notice is all that is required, and all that is expected.

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Tue May 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Arrgh. I told my boss back in January that I'm leaving July 30. In April she asked me if I'd be willing to stay on working 8 hours per week through the fall. Today she practically begs me to stay until January, offering me a raise and more vacation days. It would be tempting if I wasn't already mentally checked out.

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Tue May 11, 2010 6:06 pm

trialjunky wrote:

Is it a "you're an asshole -I hate this job" kind of letter. If so, do post.
JCougar wrote:
Tell us all how it goes! I dream of the day!
All done, feels fantastic. To those still contemplating how to do this.... you never know who you will need later on, so be professional. I told my manager and asked that he allow me the opportunity to tell the others myself. Then i sent the follow-up letter. Very short and to the point:

With this letter, I hereby submit my resignation from the XXXXX team effective June XX, 2010 to pursue my Juris Doctor as a full-time student.
At your convenience, I will be glad to discuss the reassignment of my work to others.
I wish you good luck and continued success.

Because I was professional and polite they are letting me leave two weeks early with pay!!! I love it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Tue May 11, 2010 6:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Two weeks notice is all that is required, and all that is expected.
I agree that two weeks is standard, but I think only you can guage your current situation, and your current situation will have some affect on how much notice you give. I work at a V100 (actually found out it is V50, but I've been typing V100 all along and am sticking with it) firm in NYC and am pretty heavily involved in some pretty serious litigation and transactional work at the moment. Because I do not want to burn the relationships I have made at this place, I gave the firm two months notice to find a replacement for me, because my replacement will need to fill a pretty specific niche at the firm. The partners are appreciative of the fact that I am giving them a lot of time, and we have already started discussing whether or not I will come back here as a 1L SA.

OrcinusOrcas

New

Post by OrcinusOrcas » Tue May 11, 2010 8:09 pm

LOVING this whole thread; in the same exact situation as most of you. Last day is July 15th. I've had a days/hours/mins/seconds counter online since Feb, lol.

After 6 years in retail / customer service both full time (and part time during UG) I could not be more excited about quitting and moving home to go to LS. For me it will be utterly life-changing.

I'm also totally checked out mentally, almost break down crying just walking into work, and seriously contemplate quitting at least once every 5 minutes. I considered going onto meds because of how depressed my job has made me, but it will be over by the time they'd kick in anyway. Besides, as utterly depressed as I am, hanging out with my spouse and even just calling back home to where I'll be moving in a matter of 2 months helps keep me afloat. I really would quit and just move back home with my parents already if it weren't for student loans, credit cards, and our apartment lease expiring in July. Good news is that I get to go back home for a few days in June for a wedding, which will also help me ride out the last few weeks.

Let my bosses know about my quit date last month, too. With such turnover in this place, a few people leave (of a fairly small group) every month or so and new hires roll in every 2 months anyway. My job could be done by a well-trained ape :lol:

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue May 11, 2010 8:14 pm

trialjunky wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

In a similiar situation! Getting my yearly raise + bonus. I'm keeping it on the hush from HR until then.
My annual review comes up at the end of July, so I'm going to be losing a year's worth of vacation days and seeing none of probably a 15-20% raise. Oh well.

historyholly

New

Post by historyholly » Wed May 12, 2010 2:31 pm

I just wrote my official I am leaving for sure email. My office has known since September that I planned on law school. Surprised they liked me enough to keep me around :) Last day is July 30th.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”