So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:12 am

GATORTIM wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:Turning in my notice on Thursday, and I'm still unsure how my boss is going to react. Half the time he can be very reasonable, and the other half of the time he can be a prick about the smallest things. If it seems like we're getting slammed by the end of this week I'm going to almost dread handing in my notice.

Should I hand it in personally? For what should I schedule time to hand it in to him? Just tell him I want to talk with him? I spend 99% of my work time in the field and some days I never even see my boss.

I've never given two weeks before. All of my other work has been contract or I quit the day that I left.
for $50 I will do it for you. I have absolutely zero anxiety about doing pretty much anything
What did the doctor prescribe you? I could use it from time to time.

Mostly just concerned that he'll tell me to take a hike when I turn in my notice, which I just can't afford. But, at the same time, I don't want to just up and leave when I might be able to get a couple of good references in the future (maybe not from my direct manager, of course).
Do you think they would give you any kind of severance?

FOUR MORE DAYS!!
They won't. In all likelihood they'll actually be deducting a few hundred dollars from my last paycheck to cover my annual state licensing fee.

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:25 am

scgoaliface32 wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:
Boss informed me that if my replacement doesn't know what she's doing it's because I didn’t train her well. Maybe it's because he hired an 18 year old with no degree right out of high school- to replace a 25 year old college grad? Glad to be leaving. :)
Second this. Also, irked that said replacement will be getting paid the same as me.
Oh, yea, I forgot that. Replacement got the deal I negotiated for myself after 3 years of working there. All i'm concentrating on is the amount of time i’ve managed to waste at work.

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:29 am

TCScrutinizer wrote:Turning in my notice on Thursday, and I'm still unsure how my boss is going to react. Half the time he can be very reasonable, and the other half of the time he can be a prick about the smallest things. If it seems like we're getting slammed by the end of this week I'm going to almost dread handing in my notice.

Should I hand it in personally? For what should I schedule time to hand it in to him? Just tell him I want to talk with him? I spend 99% of my work time in the field and some days I never even see my boss.

I've never given two weeks before. All of my other work has been contract or I quit the day that I left.
Silly person, turn in your notice on friday, so he has all weekend to stew and calm down about it.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:02 pm

HazelEyes wrote:

Silly person, turn in your notice on friday, so he has all weekend to stew and calm down about it.
Thursday is my last day of the week, and the last day I want to work. I suppose I could do it at the end of the day Friday, but then it wouldn't really be "two weeks."

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:07 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:

Thursday is my last day of the week, and the last day I want to work. I suppose I could do it at the end of the day Friday, but then it wouldn't really be "two weeks."
Ok, then, you're not so silly!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 pm

So my employer has approached me about a very flexible form of part time employment, basically as a contractor or "on call" employee. I am thinking about taking the offer as the pay is quite good, but I don't know the details just yet. It sort of takes the edge off the excitement of ending work, but it would also really reduce the financial hit I take by leaving work to go to school.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:20 pm

Ran here. Last day on the 24th!

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Totally thought I could coast my last week, as the MLB All-Star break typically means a slow time in the wide world of sports (and by extension sports media), but damn, I'm getting slammed. This is the busiest I've seen it in a long time.

Fortunately, tomorrow is my last day and happens to be the slowest day of the sports year. 8)

scgoaliface32

New

Post by scgoaliface32 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:51 pm

weee wrote:So my employer has approached me about a very flexible form of part time employment, basically as a contractor or "on call" employee. I am thinking about taking the offer as the pay is quite good, but I don't know the details just yet. It sort of takes the edge off the excitement of ending work, but it would also really reduce the financial hit I take by leaving work to go to school.
Sounds like a good idea to me, if their potential sched works with yours. Did you have/ do you get to keep your benefits? I just found out a have a torn acl/meniscus so I'm stressing about not having health insurance for the month between work and school. The person who posted a while back about working til Aug 1 for health insurance is a smart cookie.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thepaintrain

New

Post by thepaintrain » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:54 pm

My last day is July 23rd and it sounds sweeter and sweeter everyday!

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:55 pm

thepaintrain wrote:My last day is July 23rd and it sounds sweeter and sweeter everyday!
Same for me! Friday can't come fast enough!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:00 pm

scgoaliface32 wrote:
weee wrote:So my employer has approached me about a very flexible form of part time employment, basically as a contractor or "on call" employee. I am thinking about taking the offer as the pay is quite good, but I don't know the details just yet. It sort of takes the edge off the excitement of ending work, but it would also really reduce the financial hit I take by leaving work to go to school.
Sounds like a good idea to me, if their potential sched works with yours. Did you have/ do you get to keep your benefits? I just found out a have a torn acl/meniscus so I'm stressing about not having health insurance for the month between work and school. The person who posted a while back about working til Aug 1 for health insurance is a smart cookie.
Lol, that was me, I also have some ongoing medical stuff, it's not serious but I know my employer's health insurance coverage is better than the school's will be.

I will not maintain benefits though (after august), which sucks but isn't unreasonable considering how little I actually plan on working, I don't want it to interfere with studies..

scgoaliface32

New

Post by scgoaliface32 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Oh haha. Well good on you then, sir. At least you know what coverage you have for the forseeable future. Thought didn't even cross my mind til I got the MRI results back. And honestly I probably wouldn't mind doing a little part-time stuff for my job after my official last day, just to have a little money coming in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:12 pm

I just sat through my last office meeting :D

theLastZion

New

Post by theLastZion » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:31 pm

I'm done this friday. Unfortunately I fucked up and got another job that I start on Monday.

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:52 pm

thepaintrain wrote:My last day is July 23rd and it sounds sweeter and sweeter everyday!
+1

Same here. After that it's beach time.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:17 pm

I quit my job. I asked my boss to keep me employed on the books until after Labor day weekend so I could apply for a mortgage. They don't give 'em out to unemployed people anymore. She was cool with that. My last day unofficially will be July 30. Then I fly to UCLA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:22 pm

In March, the day after my first T14 offer, I told my boss I was leaving. My last day is July 30. (Yes, I was nice enough to give plenty of notice.) They still can't find anyone to replace me (my job requires some pretty unusual language skills), and even if they do, it's too late for me to train that person, so they are freaking out. The VP (one step above my boss) of my 80 person department, who had had a baby three weeks prior, called to authorize giving me a raise to get me to defer (raises are NEVER offered mid-year at my company). a C-level exec even stopped by my cubicle trying to tell me about the shitty job market for lawyers. Watching everyone who makes 5-10 times what I do freaking out because our clients are going to go insane when my work doesn't get done, after having been overworked (Big Law hours) and underpaid (PI salary) for so long, is priceless. I hope they crash and burn.

historyholly

New

Post by historyholly » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:11 pm

So, I asked my office manager who is replacing me and she said my supervisor is supposed to be talking to me about that. When I asked my supervisor, she said my manager would know who is replacing me. Really? I feel bad for the patients I take care of.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:51 pm

MURPH wrote:I quit my job. I asked my boss to keep me employed on the books until after Labor day weekend so I could apply for a mortgage. They don't give 'em out to unemployed people anymore. She was cool with that. My last day unofficially will be July 30. Then I fly to UCLA.
Sounds ethical.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:49 pm

LAST DAY TODAY!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scgoaliface32

New

Post by scgoaliface32 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:07 pm

Me too! Congrats!!

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:15 pm

CG614 wrote:
MURPH wrote:I quit my job. I asked my boss to keep me employed on the books until after Labor day weekend so I could apply for a mortgage. They don't give 'em out to unemployed people anymore. She was cool with that. My last day unofficially will be July 30. Then I fly to UCLA.
Sounds ethical.
I don't see how ethics has anything to do with wanting to be a lawyer.
*sarcasm*

scgoaliface32

New

Post by scgoaliface32 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:12 pm

One more hour!! :)

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:39 am

Last day!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”