So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
takingmytime

New

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by takingmytime » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:44 pm

Dick Whitman wrote:I took voluntary separation. My last day is Tuesday. I'm am going to be very bored for the next several months. (If only they had waited to offer it until April...)
I thought about taking voluntary separation but the package wasn't good enough.
doctorgonzo wrote:I think I'm in a different position, since I have well out of college and I've been working at this job for over 8 years. I'll take a couple weeks off, but I would be bored out of my mind not working for several months.
Agree. I couldn't just twiddle my thumbs for a few months. I'd love to not work but then I wouldn't have the money to entertain myself with travelling, going out and what have you - I don't want to work but I would rather work than be sitting at home.

Essentially;
not working and still having money to travel etc. > working > not working and sitting at home with no money

vee

New

Post by vee » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:45 pm

I have more than 2K as well...a LOT more than 2K. That's what studying abroad in expensive countries and making really crappy financial decisions will do to you.

Add rent and a car and there's no way I can quit my job before July 31st...

My job will be the death of me, it really will. Oh, the stories I could tell.

Pablo E

New

Post by Pablo E » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:46 pm

I quit on Monday. Moving to an island in the caribbean. Nope, this is not a flame, I already have my plane tickets.

labellavita

New

Post by labellavita » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:46 pm

Oops...I MEANT 2k....two thousand! Jeez!

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:47 pm

I still want to work, just a job with a lot less stress and responsibility. Unfortunately, take away the responsibility part, and the salary plummets.

Is it crazy that I would like to flip burgers for the next 6 months? Seems so paradoxical to do that right before law school starts. Not to mention leaving my high profile marketing position to do it :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:48 pm

If I find some decent contract work I'll be more than happy to not take any time off and save up before I start law school. Otherwise I'll find some crappy temp work so I can travel for a month with a clean conscience. I haven't had months with nothing to do in over a decade -- I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

daisyduck

New

Post by daisyduck » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:48 pm

scaredstiff165 wrote:i want to cry every morning when i walk in to work.
only 11 hours, 17 minutes of work until the weekend...
Aww, I had no idea there were people who hated their jobs as much as I do! If it's any consolation, scaredstiff, I sometimes take like an hour to get out of bed cos I don't wanna come to this god-awful place. I shut down my computer at like 5:25pm and just wait til I can bolt... lol people keep saying that working at BigLaw firms will suck, but I'm pretty damn sure that it'll be better than here! LOL

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:49 pm

JuryDueT1000 wrote:Is it crazy that I would like to flip burgers for the next 6 months? Seems so paradoxical to do that right before law school starts. Not to mention leaving my high profile marketing position to do it :roll:
I'm seriously considering a little manual labor. It's good for the soul and may well pay better than any temporary white collar work I could find.

doctorgonzo

New

Post by doctorgonzo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:50 pm

If I did have a really shitty job with low pay I would probably not work up to the end, but as it stands I'm a manager, and an IT manager to boot. When I'm not fixing problems, I can pretty much do what I want...like be on this board:)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:50 pm

labellavita wrote:Oops...I MEANT 2k....two thousand! Jeez!
We're just joking. It was funny.

daisyduck

New

Post by daisyduck » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:52 pm

doctorgonzo wrote:If I did have a really shitty job with low pay I would probably not work up to the end, but as it stands I'm a manager, and an IT manager to boot. When I'm not fixing problems, I can pretty much do what I want...like be on this board:)
lol yeah i guess if i liked my job and it paid well, i'd stay as long as possible and just take a high-intensity-fun-and-awesome vacation.. lol

premierock

New

Post by premierock » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:54 pm

its not the walking in that gets me...its the waking up. AHH!! just thinking about it gets makes me sick.

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Dick Whitman wrote:
JuryDueT1000 wrote:Is it crazy that I would like to flip burgers for the next 6 months? Seems so paradoxical to do that right before law school starts. Not to mention leaving my high profile marketing position to do it :roll:
I'm seriously considering a little manual labor. It's good for the soul and may well pay better than any temporary white collar work I could find.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

doctorgonzo

New

Post by doctorgonzo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:54 pm

I didn't say I like my job...if I did, well, why would I be considering a career change to law?

But I do know that I could be much worse off right now. I've got a job that pays the bills and then some, and it's not quite destroying my soul, so I'll stay.

Hyder

New

Post by Hyder » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:55 pm

Looking for a temp gig, can't commit long term don't want to lie.

gpb19

New

Post by gpb19 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:55 pm

Edit... Just in case...
Last edited by gpb19 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

dlm2100

New

Post by dlm2100 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm really interested in what it is that those of you who despise your job so much do on a daily basis. It's none of my business, but it could be educational in the sense that I'd tell others to avoid these sort of places/jobs. Do share.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smack4ud

New

Post by smack4ud » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:57 pm

SmittyLaw wrote:Mine pays little and is high stress.

I have cc debt & student loan debt from undergrad and have to pay my rent & utilities...sigh. So I'm sticking with it until the summer unless I wanna move back in with my parents and try to temp.
CC debt?

Community College costs that much?

Hyder

New

Post by Hyder » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:57 pm

JuryDueT1000 wrote:
Dick Whitman wrote:
+1
Doing ups package handling would be good for 7 months, get some exercise in and manual labor feels good because you can think about "life".

lombokorbali

New

Post by lombokorbali » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:58 pm

i'm quitting my job in March. roadtripping across the country back to the West Coast, dropping off my stuff, selling my car, and traveling for a few months or however long my car $$ lasts me! i'll be five years out of undergrad, so i have a decent amount of work experience. while my job is great, i'm just kinda done. ready to hear back from some schools, get in somewhere, and start surfing and backpacking and eating good food abroad!

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:00 pm

dlm2100 wrote:I'm really interested in what it is that those of you who despise your job so much do on a daily basis. It's none of my business, but it could be educational in the sense that I'd tell others to avoid these sort of places/jobs. Do share.
It's not really the work that I dislike, it's the office and atmosphere I work in. Slow paced, annoying co-workers, and it's far as hell from my house. If I could work from home I'd be happy as a pig in shit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

daisyduck

New

Post by daisyduck » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:00 pm

smack4ud wrote:
CC debt?

Community College costs that much?
i think s/he means credit card debt... lol

rvill7

New

Post by rvill7 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:00 pm

I am sooooooooooo ready!!

Except I kind of want to stay in this beach town a little longer and the pay is good. If I quit now I will have to move in with my parents, which means desert weather, but no rent! I'll give it three or four months. Hopefully some jobs at the local Starbucks near my parents' house will open up =).

Hyder

New

Post by Hyder » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:01 pm

lombokorbali wrote:i'm quitting my job in March. roadtripping across the country back to the West Coast, dropping off my stuff, selling my car, and traveling for a few months or however long my car $$ lasts me! i'll be five years out of undergrad, so i have a decent amount of work experience. while my job is great, i'm just kinda done. ready to hear back from some schools, get in somewhere, and start surfing and backpacking and eating good food abroad!
I envy your plan

sidgey

Bronze

Post by sidgey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:03 pm

I can't wait! I'm saving up to go to Africa to work in an orphanage for 2 months before school where my rent will be like $200/month! (Much better than my current NYC rent, oi)

Any PI applicants wanna join me?? :arrow: --LinkRemoved--

:lol:

In truth though... I am going to school in the hopes I can come back to my current organization to be an attorney here. But GAWD I can't wait for a break...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”