So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
x47point6

Bronze

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by x47point6 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:53 pm

Just gave three weeks’ notice. Then it’s off on my first vacation longer than four days in more than four years.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:54 pm

This is my first weekday without a job.

It's... pretty great.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:20 pm

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:27 pm

sibley wrote:http://thechive.com/2010/08/10/girl-qui ... 33-photos/

I wish I had her idea.
What an HPOA.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:47 pm

I told my boss I was applying to law schools (and he wrote me an excellent LOR) and then today I am told my job is being consolidated and I have a week left. To add insult, he said that since I'm going off to law school anyway, I don't need this job. *sigh* Should have kept my mouth shut I guess. I worked there for five years, someone who worked there for 25 will be taking over my duties.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:54 pm

22 hours remaining. Get me outta here!

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:01 pm

3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD I HATE THIS JOB AND CANNOT WAIT TO GTFO.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:09 pm

I already quit. I had planned to work all the way to law school orientation, but I couldn't take it. Feels great to not work for minimum wage plus tips while catering to fat people.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:24 pm

I've been off since June 5th. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:29 pm

angiej wrote:I told my boss I was applying to law schools (and he wrote me an excellent LOR) and then today I am told my job is being consolidated and I have a week left. To add insult, he said that since I'm going off to law school anyway, I don't need this job. *sigh* Should have kept my mouth shut I guess. I worked there for five years, someone who worked there for 25 will be taking over my duties.
ouch. consolidated means they don't have enough work for you which means you can at least apply for unemployment.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:47 pm

sibley wrote:
angiej wrote:I told my boss I was applying to law schools (and he wrote me an excellent LOR) and then today I am told my job is being consolidated and I have a week left. To add insult, he said that since I'm going off to law school anyway, I don't need this job. *sigh* Should have kept my mouth shut I guess. I worked there for five years, someone who worked there for 25 will be taking over my duties.
ouch. consolidated means they don't have enough work for you which means you can at least apply for unemployment.
Yes, this may be a blessing but I really didn't want it to look like I was fired and had no other prospects so I decided on law school which is obviously not the case.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:49 pm

1 DAY LEFT UNTIL I NEVER HAVE TO ASK FOR COVERAGE BEFORE I AM ALLOWED TO USE THE RESTROOM AGAIN!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:52 pm

jmhendri wrote:1 DAY LEFT UNTIL I NEVER HAVE TO ASK FOR COVERAGE BEFORE I AM ALLOWED TO USE THE RESTROOM AGAIN!
Tell me about it! I had to announce every time I wanted to take a leak. If not, I face the wrath of an obese manager that is twenty-one, married, and working in the U.S. with a fake SSN and fake green card. And no type of formal education. Not even a GED. Yeah, my job sucked!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:29 am

Last Day!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:16 pm

15 minutes. It's been a long journey, quit job thread. I thank you all and feel for those of you who still have a ways to go.

Good bye and good luck...
MUAH!

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:46 pm

I finished work a few weeks ago but I have to back on Labor Day weekend. I am getting a mortgage and we close the week after Labor Day. The lender said I need to have a job (even though the GI Bill will cover more than my mortgage and my wife works.) So my boss agreed to keep me on the books until I get the mortgage only if I work that weekend.
That means flying back to Hawaii, working two 12 hour night shifts, returning to LA over a three day weekend.
At least I can study on the plane and I can usually study for a few hours while at work.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:59 am

MEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
jmhendri wrote:OH MY GOD I HATE THIS JOB AND CANNOT WAIT TO GTFO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 am

How early is too early to quit when thinking of how it looks when applying during 1L?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 am

TUP wrote:How early is too early to quit when thinking of how it looks when applying during 1L?
Hahahaha I was going through that thought every day a couple of weeks ago.

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 am

piccolittle wrote:
TUP wrote:How early is too early to quit when thinking of how it looks when applying during 1L?
Hahahaha I was going through that thought every day a couple of weeks ago.
I'm sure there are quite a few of us out there. Is it really only February?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:55 am

Quitting at any point before August (or mid-July if you have an early start) will leave most 1L employers pretty sour. It also apparently really hurts your chances with most big firms, though public interest orgs hiring 2Ls don't seem to care as much.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 am

1 year, 4 months until I quit.

Damn that was depressing.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 pm

angiej wrote:
sibley wrote:
Yes, this may be a blessing but I really didn't want it to look like I was fired and had no other prospects so I decided on law school which is obviously not the case.
It won't look like that. The timeline doesn't suggest that to anybody who knows anything about the application process. Seriously, this is about the best thing that you could have asked for. I mean, preferrably, it would have happened about 4 months later, but damn - I pray everyday that I get laid off in July.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 pm

angiej wrote:
sibley wrote:
I was hoping this will happen toward the summer so I can collect UC for my 1L year, and I will get a part-time job for 2L.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm waiting until late July. I work in law, and they know I'm leaving so I guess that's a relief.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”