So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
penni_rose

Bronze

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by penni_rose » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:11 pm

27 days! And to whoever asked about notice, I haven't given it yet. I'm giving exactly 2 weeks. That's all that's expected at my job.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 pm

WassAnch wrote:On terminal leave from the military right now. 54 days of paid leave is a wonderful thing.
Don't get to start mine for another 52 days...at least I'll still have a "real" paycheck for the first 6 weeks of LS! 8)

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:34 am

My boss came up to me today and said that she was finally getting around to some paperwork issue since it looked like I'd be around for a while. I felt kind of guilty, but not guilty enough to say anything. I'm giving notice in about 3 weeks. Oh, well, it was probably something she should have done months ago.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:34 am

penni_rose wrote:My boss came up to me today and said that she was finally getting around to some paperwork issue since it looked like I'd be around for a while. I felt kind of guilty, but not guilty enough to say anything. I'm giving notice in about 3 weeks. Oh, well, it was probably something she should have done months ago.
:shock:

nowwhat

New

Post by nowwhat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:57 pm

My original plan was to quit on July 31. I found out last week that if I am continuously employed between March 30, 2009 and August 1, 2009 I am eligible for an $800 retention bonus.

Yeah, I think I can handle one more extra day.

(I will also get another month of free health insurance if I work one day into the month).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:58 pm

nowwhat wrote:My original plan was to quit on July 31. I found out last week that if I am continuously employed between March 30, 2009 and August 1, 2009 I am eligible for an $800 retention bonus.

(I will also get another month of free health insurance if I work one day into the month).
My firm, when I told them July 31st, was at first like, "stay 'til August 01st so you get the insurance." Last week, they were like "well, we would really prefer if you left July 31st, as it is the end of a pay period." Oh well.....

Thats a great bonus/incentive nowwhat.

Alyosha

Bronze

Post by Alyosha » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:09 pm

hoffb86 wrote:
nowwhat wrote:My original plan was to quit on July 31. I found out last week that if I am continuously employed between March 30, 2009 and August 1, 2009 I am eligible for an $800 retention bonus.

My firm, when I told them July 31st, was at first like, "stay 'til August 01st so you get the insurance." Last week, they were like "well, we would really prefer if you left July 31st, as it is the end of a pay period." Oh well.....

Do you have accrued leave that they will pay you for after you quit? At my job, this counted as working into the next month and I received the health insurance.

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:14 pm

I didn't even think about that. Looks like August 1 is now officially my last day.

Bobby Dazzler

New

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:15 pm

June 15th - I'm out fools! Can't wait to be done! Being an office manager, albeit for an interesting business, can be really lame sometimes...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scBlueDevil

New

Post by scBlueDevil » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:25 pm

Wow, I was just thinking about this thread, and it got bumped to the top...

You know that feeling when you suddenly become aware that sometime within the next 5-10 minutes you'll need to drop a deuce? And then there's basically an inverse relationship between the distance you are from a toilet and how badly you need to go... So here you've done a great job of holding it in for a while, but right when you see the bathroom door from down the hall, it hits you that you're not sure whether you can make it that far. By the time you push down your pants and slam down (or open) the toilet seat, shit is already flying through the air, and you pray that your body is turned around just far enough so that you don't make a mess on the floor.

This is how I feel about my job. Pretty soon it will be OK to relieve myself... but not quite yet...

Bobby Dazzler

New

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:32 pm

scBlueDevil wrote:Wow, I was just thinking about this thread, and it got bumped to the top...

You know that feeling when you suddenly become aware that sometime within the next 5-10 minutes you'll need to drop a deuce? And then there's basically an inverse relationship between the distance you are from a toilet and how badly you need to go... So here you've done a great job of holding it in for a while, but right when you see the bathroom door from down the hall, it hits you that you're not sure whether you can make it that far. By the time you push down your pants and slam down (or open) the toilet seat, shit is already flying through the air, and you pray that your body is turned around just far enough so that you don't make a mess on the floor.

This is how I feel about my job. Pretty soon it will be OK to relieve myself... but not quite yet...
Right there with you buddy, can't wait to actually stop caring and just walk away, and never look back again. I'm leaving my deuce for my replacement with a :mrgreen: and they'll probably be like :shock: :shock: :shock:

nowwhat

New

Post by nowwhat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:02 pm

hoffb86 wrote:

Hell yeah it is. Now my real question-- is it awkward to quit on a Monday? (August 3)

GuyNoir, Private Eye

New

Post by GuyNoir, Private Eye » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:10 pm

I still don't have a set leaving date yet, but the firm I'm at knew coming in that I'd be gone this fall.

Plus the opportunity of housesitting for my boss for a month has led to want to stay on for a little bit longer...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:54 pm

My firm has turned into a sweatshop as of late, asking a few paralegals to work 20/7/weeks at a time. I just can't handle the 4am nights anymore, and I had to talk to my manager today about it. I work at a firm where profits per partner increased last year and where we still have a lavish, extravagent 13 week summer program. But yet they won't hire more paralegals to relieve the burden because its "not in the budget." I feel incredibly abused and insulted that they're willing to sacrifice our health and sanity while everyone else is reaping the benefits, and I'm not going to play that game anymore.

I'm not going to leave voluntarily, and I still continue to bill 50+ hours a week most weeks. I really hope that if they ask me to leave I will qualify for unemployment (New York), under what the website calls "unable to meet employer performance or production standards" rather than violating company policy. I looked in our handbook and while it says that paralegals often do overtime (like, uh, the 50+ hours a week I do), it doesn't say that we are going to be required to take call without pay or work to the point of exhaustion.

ire

New

Post by ire » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:37 pm

if they pay you so dman well then why would you want to quit?

ire

New

Post by ire » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:39 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:My firm has turned into a sweatshop as of late, asking a few paralegals to work 20/7/weeks at a time. I just can't handle the 4am nights anymore, and I had to talk to my manager today about it. I work at a firm where profits per partner increased last year and where we still have a lavish, extravagent 13 week summer program. But yet they won't hire more paralegals to relieve the burden because its "not in the budget." I feel incredibly abused and insulted that they're willing to sacrifice our health and sanity while everyone else is reaping the benefits, and I'm not going to play that game anymore.

I'm not going to leave voluntarily, and I still continue to bill 50+ hours a week most weeks. I really hope that if they ask me to leave I will qualify for unemployment (New York), under what the website calls "unable to meet employer performance or production standards" rather than violating company policy. I looked in our handbook and while it says that paralegals often do overtime (like, uh, the 50+ hours a week I do), it doesn't say that we are going to be required to take call without pay or work to the point of exhaustion.

I got good news for you....I am a paralegal and I am looking for a job....and, it seems like you need some help:D

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:24 am

You are going to have a hard time if you are planning to go to law school next fall and can't commit to two years, unless you plan to lie. My firm is advertising positions on the corporate side, but it's a two year commitment. And of course I can't exactly highly recommend the place.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Don't know if I can do this guys...........................

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:06 pm

annapavlova wrote:Don't know if I can do this guys...........................
do what

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Lxw wrote:
annapavlova wrote:Don't know if I can do this guys...........................
do what

Spaceman_Stiff

New

Post by Spaceman_Stiff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:20 pm

The last month and a half is going to be the toughest.

T-minus 41 days and counting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:21 pm

57 days, 4 hours, 8 minutes and 36 seconds

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:22 pm

But who's counting?

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:23 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:But who's counting?
lol.... not me!

opj2002

New

Post by opj2002 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:45 am

2 weeks notice going in today.

was going to work all the way up to august.... but i gradually moved that up weeks at a time. and now it's time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”