So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
69sofine

Bronze

Re: So, anybody ready to quit their jobs yet?

Post by 69sofine » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:08 am

joobacca wrote:
69sofine wrote:Last day is tomorrow.
congrats
Thanks. Just got to make it through these last 7 hours.

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:13 am

I seriously am considering subleasing my apt and moving back home to the caribbean with my parents...hoping to make a final decision sometime next week. Hate. My. Job.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:10 pm

I had to give the Navy 9 months notice. Even with that, I will only have 2+ weeks between my last day of work to pack up my house, move across the country with family & pets and get settled in before day 1. Eeek.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:51 pm

I am SO ready to quit my job... even though I like it, I am starting to get sick of it...

I'm a BigLaw paralegal in DC... I have an awesome client, and good attorneys to work with, but the work has just become a pain in the A$$, it is not the most intellectually stimulating work in the world...

Just thought I would complain, since its 7pm on a Friday night and I am still at the office (will be for awhile), and then have to come in tomorrow...

I wouldn't complain if I were the attorneys doing this, but paralegals are way underpaid IMHO.

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:54 pm

I'm thisclose. August can't come soon enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:01 pm

I got word that I will be laid off in April. The good news is that I'm paid until the end of April (and I don't have to go to work or do anything) then I get a month's worth of severance pay.

I was planning on quitting in June anyway, but I guess now that decision has been made for me.

The question now becomes what do I do between and June?

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:03 pm

EyeBeeM wrote:I got word that I will be laid off in April. The good news is that I'm paid until the end of April (and I don't have to go to work or do anything) then I get a month's worth of severance pay.

I was planning on quitting in June anyway, but I guess now that decision has been made for me.

Temp work? or relax?

Honestly, depending on how easy it is to get approved wherever you are, and whether or not you would enjoy/be ok at it, try substitute teaching!! I did this between graduating undergrad and finding my job. Decent money, flexible schedule, and something to do, and it can be kinda rewarding/fun if you are that type of person. Just a suggestion.

Sorry to hear about your being laid off. Good luck.

Lizface killah

Bronze

Post by Lizface killah » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:03 pm

EyeBeeM wrote:I got word that I will be laid off in April. The good news is that I'm paid until the end of April (and I don't have to go to work or do anything) then I get a month's worth of severance pay.

Take that severance pay somewhere warm and pretty where the drinks all come with little umbrellas.

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:49 pm

hoffb86 wrote:

Temp work? or relax?

Honestly, depending on how easy it is to get approved wherever you are, and whether or not you would enjoy/be ok at it, try substitute teaching!! I did this between graduating undergrad and finding my job. Decent money, flexible schedule, and something to do, and it can be kinda rewarding/fun if you are that type of person. Just a suggestion.

Sorry to hear about your being laid off. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. On one hand, it's sad to be laid off. On the other, this is pretty much perfect timing for me. I get paid to not come to work :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sammyjoey

New

Post by sammyjoey » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:52 pm

Have you told your boss or the people at your job yet? I'm having a hard time trying to decide if I should just wait and give them the two weeks notice whenever I decide to quit or if I should let them know sooner that I'll be leaving

hjmarkar

New

Post by hjmarkar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 pm

I'm not sure if this is applicable everywhere, but does work at my company... Take an extended leave of absence, that way you will keep all your medical benefits even though you aren't working anymore... Also, is anyone doing anything to try and get laid off in this economy? I'm asking my boss to let me go in the next round of layoffs (rumored to be in may), to collect unemployment and severance... But in case that doesn't work, does anyone know how to quit their job and still get unemployment?

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:35 pm

Last edited by Whitty on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:29 pm

Incidentally, I'm broke and looking for a second job. Weak.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rightthat

New

Post by rightthat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:35 pm

hjmarkar wrote:I'm not sure if this is applicable everywhere, but does work at my company... Take an extended leave of absence, that way you will keep all your medical benefits even though you aren't working anymore... Also, is anyone doing anything to try and get laid off in this economy? I'm asking my boss to let me go in the next round of layoffs (rumored to be in may), to collect unemployment and severance... But in case that doesn't work, does anyone know how to quit their job and still get unemployment?

+11 for finding out how to quit and get unemployment.

Edited to add:

http://www.larcc.org

Edit #2 to correct misspelling in edit #1. A bit silly, I know.
Last edited by rightthat on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

carolinagirl0724

New

Post by carolinagirl0724 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:40 pm

joepa wrote:I'm pretty ready. For those of you in jobs where law school isn't a typical career path, how much notice are you giving?

Not sure yet. I might let them know upon admission, I might give them two weeks, and my notice may just be slapping the ever holy dog shit out of someone on my way out. I can't tell at this point.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:54 am

This thread both inspires me and makes me want to cry.

It motivated me to read my LR Bible for an extra hour tonight and made me realize that the relief of the thought of giving my job the finger will come sooner than law school admission itself.

I want to cry, though, because it's still over 1 year away for me. I hate my fucking job so much. I'm underpaid and under-challenged. What I wouldn't give for some meaningful work. I was misled about the merits of this position in my interview. And one of my bosses is possessive, anal, and I think she might be bi-polar as well. Plus, the location sucks. It's in a medium-sized city with absolutely zero social scene (unless you are divorced and have kids and you are under 25 years old and you like smoking generic cigarettes and line dancing at the local bowling alley).

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:35 am

JuryDueT1000 wrote:Or are you going to wait until June/July?

I'll tell you what, I wish I could walk out of this bitch today. Except they pay me too much damn money and I have too many damn bills... I'm ready to SNAP!
+1 This is why I'm awake at 4AM. Thank you TLS for bringing together my similarly stressed/debted/bitched comrades. Law of physics: two bitched-out/debted/stressed TLSers make a positive.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:38 am

summertimechi wrote:I seriously am considering subleasing my apt and moving back home to the caribbean with my parents...hoping to make a final decision sometime next week. Hate. My. Job.
+2 or 3

God, I love this thread. I've suffered with my secret in silence for so long. It is so nice to have found this support group for people facing such ass at work they are thinking about running back home to mommy.

Hmm, that sounded sarcastic, but I'm serious...

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:49 pm

If NYC weren't so expensive and I wasn't about to take out a ton of loans I would quit in May, take a 14 day cruise through Spain, Italy, Greece, and Turkey, come back home, moonlight as a waitress a few days a week, ride my bike in the park, get a tan, lay on the beach, start sailing & kayaking again and just have a really, really amazing and relaxing summer.

But alas, NYC, impending debt, and good old fashioned guilt means all that probably won't happen. Damn my responsible side :(

Euronupe

New

Post by Euronupe » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:12 pm

Man, I am so feeling everybody here!
I have been saving up for a summer trip for the past several
months now. I am quitting my job in May and am going to
the French Riviera for 6 weeks to take a language course
so I can become fluent in French. The way I see it, I might
as well live large before my life is over when law school
starts in the fall :wink:

Gujupike

New

Post by Gujupike » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:14 pm

im waiting until august and then switching to Per Diem status. I have a wedding to pay for in June so I can't quit just yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

agentcom

New

Post by agentcom » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:15 pm

Hate to tell you all, but I actually am enjoying what I'm doing and for those of you that aren't think about it: sub teaching. Depending on where you are you can make decent money $10+ an hour, work every day or work when you want to. It's as easy as you want it to be if you don't let little kids get in your head. And most places require only a college degree (and some places require even less like a minimum credit requirement). Plus the hours are good: you're off at 2 or 3, and you never have to worry about being called in to work overtime/weekends.

I see that someone brought the idea up before me, but I figured I'd bump it.

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:43 am

My boss and coworkers are great, and we do some good work on great issues, but I'm just about done being the office jack-of-all-trades and Gofer General. Just got into my highest-priority target school and I don't know how I'm going to avoid slacking off before August rolls around.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am

June 26th. Last day of school!!!!

stevenr18

New

Post by stevenr18 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:23 pm

hoffb86 wrote:I am definitely ready to... I find myself on these boards quite often during my work day... and I definitely have the equivalent of college's (and high schools) senioritis, except with the workplace!
it is like senioritis, only senioritis didn't involve this much active hatred.

i'm a sports reporter at a tv station, which sounded cool, and then wasn't. i work nights and weekends, have had to drive 120+ miles one way for high school volleyball games, and get paid $9 an hour. i made more being the kid waving an orange flag outside parking lots near concerts. also, in office space, when the guy says, "in any given day, i'd say i do 15 minutes of real, actual work," i can't decide whether to laugh, or choke back tears. men don't cry.

i have a contract, which includes a liquidated damages clause, so that was a concern for a while. then i showed it to my mom, who is an HR counsel. she laughed. concern alleviated. working at borders until august seems like the best thing for my sanity and the physical well-being of the toolbags i work for.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”