Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lem37

Bronze

Re: Columbia Applicants Waiting Thread

Post by Lem37 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:21 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
Action Jackson wrote: I didn't apply, but my index is 4.5, so I probably would have.
This reminds me of the applicants in the "What are my chances?" forum who insist that, although they haven't taken the LSAT yet, they estimate the 173-177 range.
I realize it's totally ridiculous for me to assume I could *probably* get in with both a GPA and LSAT at CLS's 75ths, but I guess I'm just silly that way. :roll:

Doesn't change the fact that the place is a dump.
Wow, I forgot how attractive a quality arrogance is.

uclabruins

New

Post by uclabruins » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:21 pm

Action Jackson wrote:I realize it's totally ridiculous for me to assume I could *probably* get in with both a GPA and LSAT at CLS's 75ths, but I guess I'm just silly that way. :roll:

dude, if you want to bash CLS, start your own thread. For many of us CLS is one of our top choices and you just come off as a total douche.

extragnarls

New

Post by extragnarls » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Action Jackson wrote: Doesn't change the fact that the place is a dump.
Why is it a dump? I haven't had a chance to actually visit the law school facilities since I was only there over winter break when it was closed, but the actual area, with Riverside Park and an actual enclosed Columbia campus seemed pretty nice, aesthetically. Did you mean dump in some other way?

crazy_zoologist

New

Post by crazy_zoologist » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Why do so many ppl prefer NYU to CLS? Aren't they quite similar?
Last edited by crazy_zoologist on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:25 pm

Lem37 wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
Action Jackson wrote: I didn't apply, but my index is 4.5, so I probably would have.
This reminds me of the applicants in the "What are my chances?" forum who insist that, although they haven't taken the LSAT yet, they estimate the 173-177 range.
I realize it's totally ridiculous for me to assume I could *probably* get in with both a GPA and LSAT at CLS's 75ths, but I guess I'm just silly that way. :roll:

Wow, I forgot how attractive a quality arrogance is.
It adds to my gigantic penis.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:26 pm

uclabruins wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:I realize it's totally ridiculous for me to assume I could *probably* get in with both a GPA and LSAT at CLS's 75ths, but I guess I'm just silly that way. :roll:

dude, if you want to bash CLS, start your own thread. For many of us CLS is one of our top choices and you just come off as a total douche.
Why is it your top choice? Have you visited the school? Have you spoken to people that go there? To alumni? Or is it just because of the USN ranking?

uclabruins

New

Post by uclabruins » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:30 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
uclabruins wrote:

Why is it your top choice? Have you visited the school? Have you spoken to people that go there? To alumni? Or is it just because of the USN ranking?
i said ONE of the top choices, and yes I have visited both CLS and NYU. Just because you hate the school doesn't mean that everyone else should.

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:31 pm

extragnarls wrote:
Why is it a dump? I haven't had a chance to actually visit the law school facilities since I was only there over winter break when it was closed, but the actual area, with Riverside Park and an actual enclosed Columbia campus seemed pretty nice, aesthetically. Did you mean dump in some other way?
The area around Columbia is a dump. People I talked to that go to CLS said the school felt dumpy. Alumni I talked to that went there all said they would rather have gone to NYU or Cornell, except for one guy that said, "Columbia was fine."
The location is better, the school has a friendly atmosphere, alumni all seem to be happier, the joint program with Stern seems to be better, and it's not a dump (ha ha!).

NickyP

New

Post by NickyP » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:35 pm

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Last edited by NickyP on Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

srb

New

Post by srb » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:35 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
extragnarls wrote:
The area around Columbia is a dump. People I talked to that go to CLS said the school felt dumpy. Alumni I talked to that went there all said they would rather have gone to NYU or Cornell, except for one guy that said, "Columbia was fine."
The location is better, the school has a friendly atmosphere, alumni all seem to be happier, the joint program with Stern seems to be better, and it's not a dump (ha ha!).
Man, with all that narcissism seeping out of your pores, I should have known you'd be interested in a joint program with the B school.

Prodigy

New

Post by Prodigy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:47 pm

Action Jackson wrote: I realize it's totally ridiculous for me to assume I could *probably* get in with both a GPA and LSAT at CLS's 75ths, but I guess I'm just silly that way. :roll:

You also thought 4.3+ = in, which certainly isn't the case always anymore.

The location is better? Isn't that kinda, well, subjective? A lot of people want to be somewhat distanced from all the hustle and bustle that you can't easily get away from at NYU.

Actually, your entire argument is based on subjectivity or anecdotal bullshit. Regardless, why the hell are you even in this thread?

EDIT: No idea how that happened, sorry Lem..haha
Last edited by Prodigy on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:48 pm

Prodigy wrote:
Lem37 wrote: I realize it's totally ridiculous for me to assume I could *probably* get in with both a GPA and LSAT at CLS's 75ths, but I guess I'm just silly that way. :roll:

The location is better? Isn't that kinda, well, subjective? A lot of people want to be somewhat distanced from all the hustle and bustle that you can't easily get away from at NYU.

Actually, your entire argument is based on subjectivity or anecdotal bullshit. Regardless, why the hell are you even in this thread?
I would just like to point out that that is misquoted - I didn't say that, Action Jackson did. Can you please change, Prodigy?

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:53 pm

Prodigy wrote:
Lem37 wrote: I realize it's totally ridiculous for me to assume I could *probably* get in with both a GPA and LSAT at CLS's 75ths, but I guess I'm just silly that way. :roll:

If you don't want to deal with the hustle and bustle then why are you applying to schools in NYC at all? There are better places to go to not deal with hustle and bustle. Like Penn, for instance.

And yes, my entire argument is subjective: I asked some CLS alumni how they liked CLS and they all said other schools would have been better (except for that one guy). Then I looked at the place and saw that it was a dump.

As for why I'm here, I thought -- foolishly, it seems -- that one of you people who talk about how CLS is their top choice would actually articulate, like an adult, WHY they thought it was such a great place to warrant it being their top choice. Instead, there's been a lot of bitching and moaning. This is probably why all those CLS alumni I talked to said they'd go to different schools -- they didn't really think through their decision in the first place.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:54 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
extragnarls wrote:
the only substantive piece of information in this trash is the casual mention of stern, which is pretty irrelevant given cls's record in top corporate firms - v10 placement, dude, v10 placement - that's all that needs to be said

Prodigy

New

Post by Prodigy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Action Jackson wrote:I'm just curious, of the people here who have CLS as their top choice, have you actually visited the school? I ask, because I can't understand how anyone who's visited both NYU and Columbia to want to spend 3 years at Columbia. I'm not saying the place is a shithole, but it's a shithole.
Perhaps you should have phrased your question more as an actual question of curiosity. How many actual responses did you expect by trolling for an argument by repeatedly screaming, "it's a dumpppp! a dumppp!" :?:

Oh well. Good luck everybody!

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
Prodigy wrote:

If you don't want to deal with the hustle and bustle then why are you applying to schools in NYC at all? There are better places to go to not deal with hustle and bustle. Like Penn, for instance.

And yes, my entire argument is subjective: I asked some CLS alumni how they liked CLS and they all said other schools would have been better (except for that one guy). Then I looked at the place and saw that it was a dump.

As for why I'm here, I thought -- foolishly, it seems -- that one of you people who talk about how CLS is their top choice would actually articulate, like an adult, WHY they thought it was such a great place to warrant it being their top choice. Instead, there's been a lot of bitching and moaning. This is probably why all those CLS alumni I talked to said they'd go to different schools -- they didn't really think through their decision in the first place.
I'd skip NYU solely based on their generally obnoxious undergrads. I went to visit and remembered why I didn't apply for UG. The leggings and "hipster" attitude were making me nauseous.

Good luck to everyone who wants to go to CLS!

Dr_Nex

New

Post by Dr_Nex » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:17 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
Prodigy wrote:

I'd skip NYU solely based on their generally obnoxious undergrads. I went to visit and remembered why I didn't apply for UG. The leggings and "hipster" attitude were making me nauseous.

Good luck to everyone who wants to go to CLS!
Just to play devil's advocate...

Yes, clearly the snooty Harvard-rejects-yet-wants-to-be-ivy-league-and-my-parents-have-lots-of-money Columbia undergrads are much more desirable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NickyP

New

Post by NickyP » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:18 pm

Oy, I've become obsessed with message boards. I am now quitting forever.

Love NYU.
Last edited by NickyP on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:19 pm

Prodigy wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:I'm just curious, of the people here who have CLS as their top choice, have you actually visited the school? I ask, because I can't understand how anyone who's visited both NYU and Columbia to want to spend 3 years at Columbia. I'm not saying the place is a shithole, but it's a shithole.
Perhaps you should have phrased your question more as an actual question of curiosity. How many actual responses did you expect by trolling for an argument by repeatedly screaming, "it's a dumpppp! a dumppp!" :?:

Oh well. Good luck everybody!
From page 2:
I'm just curious, of the people here who have CLS as their top choice, have you actually visited the school? I ask, because I can't understand how anyone who's visited both NYU and Columbia to want to spend 3 years at Columbia. I'm not saying the place is a shithole, but it's a shithole.
So for the record, I started by calling it a "shit hole", and have since upgraded it to "dump." My big penis allows me to change like that.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Tue May 19, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:22 pm

NickyP wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
Oh man, am I begging to get attacked here. But this could be fun, actually! Here's why I want to go to Columbia. I'm interested in studying international law as it relates to business and government. There is a professor at CLS who I read about and have been trying to find his name again ever since who focuses on globalization and the business opportunities around the globe that come with it. Columbia is also ranked #2 in International Law, FWIW.
OMFG! An intelligent, cogent response. My brainz ... they hurtz!

No, but seriously, that make sense. CLS's dumpiness is clearly overcome by your program interests. Hope you get in (if you haven't already).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:26 pm

Dr_Nex wrote: Yes, clearly the snooty Harvard-rejects-yet-wants-to-be-ivy-league-and-my-parents-have-lots-of-money Columbia undergrads are much more desirable.
In defense of Columbia undergrads, the vast majority of people I know had Columbia as their first choice. At least 40% of my friends applied ED, myself included. Only one that I can think of wanted Harvard and didn't get it.

Not that the UG population isn't its own brand of obnoxious, but that wouldn't be what I would pick...

Prodigy

New

Post by Prodigy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:31 pm

Action Jackson wrote: OMFG! An intelligent, cogent response. My brainz ... they hurtz!
I can't decide if I hate you or like you.

First, for shitting on CLS, I hated you.
Then I liked you for making me LOL when you did the same thing in the Princeton Law thread.
Then I hated you for acting like a troll and expecting serious responses.
Then I liked you for your big penis.
Then I hated you for talking about your big penis and still expecting serious responses.

I guess the dice lands on me hating you. Thanks for playing :|

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:33 pm

Prodigy wrote:
Action Jackson wrote: OMFG! An intelligent, cogent response. My brainz ... they hurtz!

Then I liked you for making me LOL when you did the same thing in the Princeton Law thread.
Then I hated you for talking about your big penis and still expecting serious responses.

<3

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:35 pm

Prodigy wrote:

Yes, I am both mysterious and magical and sexy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”