GPA bombed due to first year, high LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jujitsudude

New

GPA bombed due to first year, high LSAT

Post by jujitsudude » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a sophomore in my program and I know it's kind of early to post since it's so early in my undergrad but I want to see what you guys think. I started out in a hardcore science program at one of Canada's top universities. I was offered a chance to play semi-professional sports overseas (alongside Olympians, including a former world number one) that year and squandered my GPA. Since coming back and realizing what I did wrong, I switched programs (into philosophy/religion) and my GPA has risen steadily. The year after the "year from hell," I got a 2.9 GPA. This year, if things go as planned, I should be able to pull a 3.7 or 3.8.

In terms of work experience, I volunteered in a criminal defense law firm (and have attended many trials), I am Managing Editor of a new medsci newsletter/mini-journal, and I am still very active in competitive sports. I have published before and I currently have a paper in review for an undergraduate philosophy journal. I volunteer at a soup kitchen and I spearheaded an online fundraiser last year for a local organization. I am also thinking of attending any Ivy league summer school program (ie. Harvard, Stanford) this summer. In terms of other work I will be doing, I am highly considering going to the Dominican for two weeks this summer to volunteer there.

I've got great references and I am prepared to explain my situation on the Personal Statement.

I've done a few practice LSATs and I am scoring very well. I think a score over 175 is realistic for me as I did quite well on a mock LSAT. If I continue my trend in grades, I'll end up with a final undergrad GPA of 3.1 to 3.2.

What schools do you guys think will be realistic (assuming I can pay for the high tuition)? I like appeals law very much and if I don't get into a top 20 school, I'd probably transfer after first year law (provided I get great grades).

Look forward to your advice. Thanks very much in advance. :)

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: GPA bombed due to first year, high LSAT

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:42 pm

jujitsudude wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a sophomore in my program and I know it's kind of early to post since it's so early in my undergrad but I want to see what you guys think. I started out in a hardcore science program at one of Canada's top universities. I was offered a chance to play semi-professional sports overseas (alongside Olympians, including a former world number one) that year and squandered my GPA. Since coming back and realizing what I did wrong, I switched programs (into philosophy/religion) and my GPA has risen steadily. The year after the "year from hell," I got a 2.9 GPA. This year, if things go as planned, I should be able to pull a 3.7 or 3.8.

In terms of work experience, I volunteered in a criminal defense law firm (and have attended many trials), I am Managing Editor of a new medsci newsletter/mini-journal, and I am still very active in competitive sports. I have published before and I currently have a paper in review for an undergraduate philosophy journal. I volunteer at a soup kitchen and I spearheaded an online fundraiser last year for a local organization. I am also thinking of attending any Ivy league summer school program (ie. Harvard, Stanford) this summer. In terms of other work I will be doing, I am highly considering going to the Dominican for two weeks this summer to volunteer there.

I've got great references and I am prepared to explain my situation on the Personal Statement.

I've done a few practice LSATs and I am scoring very well. I think a score over 175 is realistic for me as I did quite well on a mock LSAT. If I continue my trend in grades, I'll end up with a final undergrad GPA of 3.1 to 3.2.

What schools do you guys think will be realistic (assuming I can pay for the high tuition)? I like appeals law very much and if I don't get into a top 20 school, I'd probably transfer after first year law (provided I get great grades).

Look forward to your advice. Thanks very much in advance. :)
If you can get a score over 170, you'll probably have luck applying to UVA ED or Northwestern.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Nobody advises mid 2000 era 0Ls like you brah.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Kinda makes me sad that it took four years for this (obviously nice) dude to get a response. :(

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:22 pm

If he took/is taking a few years off between UG and LS he still might be able to use this thread. I'll PM him and let him know!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”