Law School Predictor: The Thread" Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Skywalker925

New

Re: Law School Predictor Version 2.0

Post by Skywalker925 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:15 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Skywalker925 wrote:THIS MAY BE HARD TO DO... but an EARLY DECISION/ACTION prediction model will be amazingggggggg
It's currently slated as a possible feature in a future version. The biggest obstacle is the lack of public data on the subject.
Ok what exactly does consider/strong consider and admit mean? Like if you had to use percentages of admission chance? I understand admit pretty much means autoadmit...etc

Also, how accurate do you think these predictions are?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:19 pm

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:24 pm

looks good. Very well done, we should start recommending this instead of hourumd

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:28 pm

This was pretty much DEAD ON with how my cycle went.....kinda freaky, actually. :D

Skywalker925

New

Post by Skywalker925 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:40 pm

Ok so I'm assuming that if I apply early...like before Nov 1st... then admit and strong consider pretty much means I'll get accepted( despite few exceptions).. consider means I'm on the edge where my undergrad quality school, whether I ED or not, LOR/PS will come into play, and weak consider and deny pretty much means I'll get rejected unless I have something amazing to offer...etc

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

T14

Bronze

Post by T14 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:00 am

Looks awesome OP.

It shows Stanford's 25/75 LSAT 170/175.

LSAC has it as 167/172: http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... BA4704.pdf

Is the LSAC info from last year? If so, then holy shit. That is a pretty big jump in one year :(

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:47 am

I love it.

I think with splitters its just so unpredictable to gage, but even with that it did a pretty good job on my cycle.

Iuvo

New

Post by Iuvo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:01 am

Omg, this is so good.

You are truly the messiah.

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:06 am

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but the calculator starts calculating when I click in the GPA field (or perhaps when I write the first number). This slows down everything, as I can't type the rest of my gpa before my chances get calculated. I then have to recalculate

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:14 am

YCRev, congrats on a job very, very well done. :wink:

I hope you make a mint from your new site! Your thoughtfulness and brilliance will now finally bring you the recognition you deserve.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:06 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:12 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:21 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:30 am

YCrevolution wrote:
jackassjim wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but the calculator starts calculating when I click in the GPA field (or perhaps when I write the first number). This slows down everything, as I can't type the rest of my gpa before my chances get calculated. I then have to recalculate
That is very odd. I thought I'd disabled that sort of thing when I created the HTML files (because you're right, it does slow things down). I can't repeat your result in IE or Firefox. If you could tell me what browser you're using (and OS), I'll look into it. In addition, does this happen for all of the prediction models and GPA calculator or just one of them (full-time, part-time, etc.)?

There might also be a browser setting somewhere to auto-run certain javascript elements, but that doesn't seem very likely (largely because that's not good for your computer's security).

Also, if anybody else is having this problem, if you could tell me the browser you're using, OS and whether this happens for all of the prediction models and GPA calculator or just one of them (full-time, part-time, etc.).
1) It starts calculating automatically when I load the page with 160 and blank gpa
2) Running Xubuntu with Firefox 3.0.11
3) Thought it could have been fasterfox and some pre-fetch function, but I disabled all the add-ons and still experienced the problem
4) Same thing for all 4 versions of the predictor

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:34 am

Iuvo wrote:Omg, this is so good.

You are truly the messiah.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:35 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:37 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:04 am

YCrevolution wrote:
jackassjim wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
jackassjim wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but the calculator starts calculating when I click in the GPA field (or perhaps when I write the first number). This slows down everything, as I can't type the rest of my gpa before my chances get calculated. I then have to recalculate
That is very odd. I thought I'd disabled that sort of thing when I created the HTML files (because you're right, it does slow things down). I can't repeat your result in IE or Firefox. If you could tell me what browser you're using (and OS), I'll look into it. In addition, does this happen for all of the prediction models and GPA calculator or just one of them (full-time, part-time, etc.)?

There might also be a browser setting somewhere to auto-run certain javascript elements, but that doesn't seem very likely (largely because that's not good for your computer's security).

Also, if anybody else is having this problem, if you could tell me the browser you're using, OS and whether this happens for all of the prediction models and GPA calculator or just one of them (full-time, part-time, etc.).
1) It starts calculating automatically when I load the page with 160 and blank gpa
2) Running Xubuntu with Firefox 3.0.11
3) Thought it could have been fasterfox and some pre-fetch function, but I disabled all the add-ons and still experienced the problem
4) Same thing for all 4 versions of the predictor
Thanks.

It does auto-calculate for a 160/0.00 GPA for everyone right now (I'm going to be working on a work-around for that, but right, now I don't have a solution), but it shouldn't recalculate until you hit the calculate button. I'll ask my friend with Xubuntu this weekend to see if this happens on his machine (I don't think that's the problem, but one never knows).
To be clear: it does not reload when I click in the gpa field. It only loads once when I get on the page. I initially thought it was my clicking that triggered the calculation since I tend to click everywhere rapidly before the page is finished loading. Since it is very long to load the initial calculation, I assumed it was my fault.

In sum, my experience is the same as what others have been having. No strange behavior, and no reason to ask your friend to test it. I just misevaluated the problem initially.

Sorry for the confusion.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:05 am

I really hope my cycle goes this way haha

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:48 am

Given how successful this predictor seems to have proven this cycle, I think a link to it should be stickied in the "What are my chances?" forum.

LSHPFL10

New

Post by LSHPFL10 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Antipodean wrote:Given how successful this predictor seems to have proven this cycle, I think a link to it should be stickied in the "What are my chances?" forum.
Agreed.

Great job, by the way. This is sure to be quite beneficial to upcoming applicants.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Thought I'd contribute my rather weird splitter-esque information in case you end up making a revision to help other splitters out a bit. And a few more suggestions for future versions:
- WE (for schools like NU)
- application date (not just EA/ED; maybe regular-early, regular-mid cycle, regular-late, past deadline)
- state of residency (for state schools)
- merit-based fee waivers
- merit-based $$ prediction

You've already done a ton of great work, but I just wanted to throw the ideas out there for potential future versions... I'll PM you my stats and results in case you're logging info for future versions.- merit-based $$ prediction

Iuvo

New

Post by Iuvo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:27 am

Suggestion: move the calculate button right next to the GPA/LSAT input, preferably on the right. This means the user won't have to scroll up to click the calculate button.

Otherwise, it's been excellent and will help students for generations (ease the anxiety, decide on applying).

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:43 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:51 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”