Darrow Invite Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
prelaw

Bronze

Re: Darrow Invite

Post by prelaw » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:08 pm

A few hours after my post, I got the call. FULL DARROW!!

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:46 pm

Anyone else in the 2/23 group? I hope they're not out of money.

Withdraw if you're not going to accept the Darrow, please!

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:04 pm

bgc wrote:Anyone else in the 2/23 group? I hope they're not out of money.

Withdraw if you're not going to accept the Darrow, please!
There are certainly few of us who were awarded the Darrow who aren't seriously considering it. Since Preview Weekends haven't started yet, it's a little unreasonable to suggest we withdraw without having at least visited.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:44 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:There are certainly few of us who were awarded the Darrow who aren't seriously considering it. Since Preview Weekends haven't started yet, it's a little unreasonable to suggest we withdraw without having at least visited.

That was only directed at people who have already decided against it. I'm not trying to push anyone in either direction.
Last edited by bgc on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

FranFang

New

Post by FranFang » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:22 am

Has anyone received a Darrow invite and not been rewarded a full or half tuition scholarship- or at least heard of anyone who hasn't? Also, if someone received a Darrow invite and didn't get it, do you think UMich would at least offer him/her a Dean's Scholarship??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:36 am

I think the essay is just to gauge interest.. most get at least half.. actually I think most get full, to be honest.

FranFang

New

Post by FranFang » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:51 am

Wow! That's encouraging! Does anyone have any idea how many get invites and how many Darrow Scholars there are each year?

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:53 am

Did you submit your essay on 2/23? Dean Zearfoss said she was hoping to get the faculty to convene more quickly for this round since it is getting late; we might here back this week.

It is my assumption that they have a decent sense of who they have chosen for they Darrow. As KP says, the essay serves to filter out those who have been accepted at Yale, given a Hamilton, offered a cabinet position, or are otherwise uninterested in the Darrow.

The invite itself makes me confident that I'll receive some substantial aid. I just hope they have enough money left and like me enough for the full.

FranFang

New

Post by FranFang » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:02 am

Yea, I submitted 2/23. It'd be excellent to hear back this week.... Is this the last round?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:29 am

I have no idea beyond Dean Zearfoss's remark about the current place in the cycle. There seems to be less chatter about Darrows in this round than there was a month ago.

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:23 pm

It seems (based on this and other boards) that most people invited receive the full Darrow. A few receive the half Darrow. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone not receive anything, but that's just anecdotal.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Got the call yesterday. Full Darrow.

FranFang

New

Post by FranFang » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Got the call today! Full Darrow!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:38 pm

FranFang wrote:Got the call today! Full Darrow!!!
bgc wrote:Got the call yesterday. Full Darrow.
Congrats to both of you!!!! :D :D :D

iminlstrick

Bronze

Post by iminlstrick » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Full Darrow today (don't know if there's a 09-10 thread) -- phone call from Dean Z. :D

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:49 pm

iminlstrick wrote:Full Darrow today (don't know if there's a 09-10 thread) -- phone call from Dean Z. :D

Congrats! Beyond the Hamilton at CLS, Full Darrow is the best offer out there, imo. Wish I woulda had the option, :oops: .

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:13 pm

iminlstrick wrote:Full Darrow today (don't know if there's a 09-10 thread) -- phone call from Dean Z. :D
Awwww! That's amazing. Congratulations. :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Congrats!

bottomshelf

New

Post by bottomshelf » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Is Harvard the only reason people here turned down a full Darrow? If the folks from last year are still around, I'd like to hear what motivated your decision to say no to a full ride at Mich. (Not that I have a better option than the Darrow right now; just curious.)

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:26 pm

bottomshelf wrote:Is Harvard the only reason people here turned down a full Darrow? If the folks from last year are still around, I'd like to hear what motivated your decision to say no to a full ride at Mich. (Not that I have a better option than the Darrow right now; just curious.)
I don't think you need to ask the people to infer what their reasoning was. Unless you are bonkers, you turn down a full ride at Michigan only if you A.) Get accepted to a better school, B.) Don't want to live in Michigan C.) Are not primarily concerned with student debt, or some combination thereof.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:46 pm

bottomshelf wrote:Is Harvard the only reason people here turned down a full Darrow? If the folks from last year are still around, I'd like to hear what motivated your decision to say no to a full ride at Mich. (Not that I have a better option than the Darrow right now; just curious.)
+1 (not that i even have a Darrow, but a guy can dream, right?)
existenz wrote:I don't think you need to ask the people to infer what their reasoning was. Unless you are bonkers, you turn down a full ride at Michigan only if you A.) Get accepted to a better school, B.) Don't want to live in Michigan C.) Are not primarily concerned with student debt, or some combination thereof.
let's not cut off discussion or pretend like the request was stupid, shall we. kthx.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:52 pm

FWIW, I'm a 1L at YLS and definitely would have taken the full Darrow or the Hamilton over YLS. Not to say that YLS isn't a fantastic place, but having no debt coming out of a top 10 law school falls in the category of "unimaginably awesome" in my book.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:20 am

I heard rumors in another thread about a Boalt 1L who turned down the full Darrow. Must have really wanted Boalt (or perhaps got a scholarship there as well).

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:23 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I heard rumors in another thread about a Boalt 1L who turned down the full Darrow. Must have really wanted Boalt (or perhaps got a scholarship there as well).

I'm sure that you will find a ton of people from the past few years who declined the Darrow for slightly higher ranked schools. But that was in another country [economy], and besides, the wench [biglaw] is dead.

Brackets included for the metaphorically challenged. double entendre.

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:30 am

I used LSN to compile some stats for the Darrow over the previous three cycles. Highlights:

70% of full Darrows got into one of HYS
89% of those chose HYS

30% of full Darrows did not get into one of HYS
73% of those chose Michigan

So far, I'm thinking I agree with heyguys, even if LSN's Darrows didn't.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”