USC Frank Rothman Scholars prgoram Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
legends159

Silver

Re: USC Frank Rothman Scholars prgoram

Post by legends159 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:12 pm

doyleoil wrote:sure the scholarship money is fantastic, but the truly tempting thing is a guaranteed summer associateship as a 1L - god knows there are probably a bunch of harvard 1L's who wish they had a guaranteed firm job this summer
And at Skadden. But only one kid gets it, and I'm sure that one kid could have easily been a Harvard 1L

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Better write one heck of an essay...

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:46 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I am working on my essay now........ :) Hoping to finish it today!
Is that your cat? If so, what kind is it?

valleygirl

New

Post by valleygirl » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:22 pm

so i've been pretty lazy and left this rothman essay to a last minute/over winter break kind of thing... ive just gone through the packet USC sent and i even went on the website, but i cant find where the exact details about the essay are --
does anyone know the directions for the essay and length requirements? i think i might have lost something in the packet - or maybe im just hungover and not reading carefully enough :shock:

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:24 pm

valleygirl wrote:so i've been pretty lazy and left this rothman essay to a last minute/over winter break kind of thing... ive just gone through the packet USC sent and i even went on the website, but i cant find where the exact details about the essay are --
does anyone know the directions for the essay and length requirements? i think i might have lost something in the packet - or maybe im just hungover and not reading carefully enough :shock:
I pretty much have decided I won't be attending USC even if they give me the scholarship so that's how I've justified my lack of motivation

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

valleygirl

New

Post by valleygirl » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:25 pm

yes thats a pretty legit justification... any idea what the essay should cover though?

rlm33

New

Post by rlm33 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:56 pm

I got the invite too. It almost seems like a waste since only one person will get it and that person will probably have a 180/4.0... I have a 170/3.9 so I'm contemplating it but the prospect of another essay is not intensely appealing at this point... And yeah the essay prompt was pretty vague. Something about "how your credentials match up with the criteria for the program" if I remember correctly. Not so sure about this.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:06 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Has anyone who received this invite actually been accepted?
I think we all did...Haven't you?

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:11 pm

Yeah it is pretty sketchy that we haven't even gotten an acceptance letter/call/something yet...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:12 pm

It'd be pretty funny if you got invited for the Rothman but then YP'd when you didn't write the essay Amy !

lawguy123

New

Post by lawguy123 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:22 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Has anyone who received this invite actually been accepted?
I got the Rothman application invitation and was accepted to the school about a week after.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:29 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I actually already mailed my essay and updated resume.....i was hoping that would prompt an acceptance.

KP, glad someone else hasn't been accepted also, I guess.
i'm sure there's just some mail mix-up - can't imagine you didn't get in after the invite, amy - maybe they're just disorganized and some day you'll randomly get invited to interview for the scholarship - that'd be a good story (i got my acceptance about a week after the invite also)

halfpancake

New

Post by halfpancake » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:19 pm

I got the invite but never got an acceptance letter. You are not alone, Amy!

I still haven't done the essay. I don't know what I'd say that hasn't already been covered in my application. Besides numbers, I don't have too much else that fits with their criteria.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

valleygirl

New

Post by valleygirl » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:03 pm

halfpancake - im in the same boat. got the invite, no acceptance and still haven't written the essay. im flying out to Cali on friday from the east coast so I think I'm going to try to write it on the plane and then e-mail it in. Still no idea on what I'm going to write about though! :shock:

scoobyman

New

Post by scoobyman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:27 am

I'm not sure what your numbers would have to be to win the scholarship, but I don't think they'd be sending it to me with a 167 LSAT, if it typically goes to someone >175. There's no real justification for increasing the number of essays they have to review, other than that they want to take a look at a broader spectrum. At very least, it's an opportunity to pitch yourself as a candidate for scholarship money, and they might very well view this as an opportunity to take a closer look at people they're considering for money.

But, I would like to know if anyone has further insight into what the essay is supposed to be about. All I can glean from the package and the website is that you're supposed to write about something you've published, research you've conducted, or something you've invented. Is that it???

Also, I'm with you Amy... I got the packet and no acceptance.

valleygirl

New

Post by valleygirl » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:15 am

this does not bode well for me seeing as i have not published anything, nor do I have any inventions under my belt... save a new way to curl my hair with a straightener instead of a curling iron.
i know it only says one page but i have no idea what to write. puh. :?

ace44

New

Post by ace44 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:06 pm

I got the Rothman invite almost a month before my acceptance letter...so if you haven't gotten your acceptance letter yet I am sure it is coming.

Silly question-I threw all of my USC stuff together in a folder and have a couple of different envelopes. The Rothman app says to "Submit your essay and a resume...directly to the USC Law Admissions Office in the envelope provided"...well I am not sure which envelope that is anymore.

Does: "Enrollment Services
The Law School
University of Southern California
PO Box 77902
Los Angeles CA 90099-5334"
Sound right for the Rothman envelope??

Thanks!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

scoobyman

New

Post by scoobyman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:45 am

I don't know... I seem to have thrown the envelope out altogether. I sent an e-mail asking if we could e-mail it in as was indicated by an earlier poster. I'll follow up and ask if we can submit in a regular e-mail and post up the response.

jayhawkai

New

Post by jayhawkai » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:55 pm

A quick search of Rothman on LSN shows quite a few VERY qualified applicants who were not selected for the scholarship, nor the finalist interviews. A bit depressing....

Rifka

New

Post by Rifka » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:25 pm

I got the invitation for the Rothman scholars program, and sent in my essay two weeks ago. Last week I received a confirmation email saying they would let the 3-4 semi-finalists know in early March.

I have not gotten an acceptance letter from USC yet, but today I got an email titled USC Law - News Highlights and the first sentence was "Congratulations on your admission to USC Law!" I hope that means my acceptance letter is in the mail.

Good luck to those who applied for the scholars program.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:45 pm

I would find it very funny if some Rothman invites end up getting WL/dinged (assuming they sent in the essay). At this point I'm convinced I'll be admitted to USC, but they could always be playing with my emotions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

1800calturk

Bronze

Post by 1800calturk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:16 pm

Anyone Roths hear back about scholarships yet? I have no chance at the actual one, but I'm read some places that most invites still get something.

smorgs2010

New

Post by smorgs2010 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:17 pm

I just got a call from Dean Reid. I'm a finalist.

!!!

Wow. I am so blessed, and do NOT mean this as a complaint, but if I get this (certainly not counting my chickens), my decision will be so much harder. I was born in LA. My parents still live there.

Anyone here a Rothman Schoalar? Anyone here turn it down to go to HLS (I'm in at H)? Anyone here have advice?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”