GW Early Decision - What numbers? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
carpet

New

GW Early Decision - What numbers?

Post by carpet » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:43 pm

The early decision for GW is combined with a full scholarship..which makes me think it's incredibly harder to get in this way.

Does anyone have any ideas on the stats of those admitted?

Bankhead

Silver

Re: GW Early Decision - What numbers?

Post by Bankhead » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:45 pm

170+, 3.7+

edit: or whatever gw's 75th %iles are

midwesterner

New

Post by midwesterner » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:50 pm

Keep in mind though, "Applicants who apply for early admission but are not admitted will be considered for admission in the regular admission process. "

DelawareGeneral

New

Post by DelawareGeneral » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:56 pm

nits, on what authority are you making this assertion?

interestedbyestander

New

Post by interestedbyestander » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:00 pm

GW's 75% is like 166, I thought.

I'm wondering how many scholarships they award each year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yagrish

New

Post by yagrish » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:10 pm

I don't know if this is anything, but GW's ABA profile says that NOBODY gets a full scholarship there. :?:

carpet

New

Post by carpet » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:13 pm

It's just confusing because since you can really only apply to one school ED - you wanna make sure you're not wasting it... So if I reallly don't have a chance at gw, I'm thinking to look elsewhere where applying ED actually puts me at an advantage over other applicants in the general pool. Does that make sense?

interestedbyestander

New

Post by interestedbyestander » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:18 pm

carpet wrote:It's just confusing because since you can really only apply to one school ED - you wanna make sure you're not wasting it... So if I reallly don't have a chance at gw, I'm thinking to look elsewhere where applying ED actually puts me at an advantage over other applicants in the general pool. Does that make sense?
It does to me. The converse to true as well, don't apply ED if you think you can get into a much better school because ED is binding. It seems like a good deal if you really want to go to GW.

jw65106

New

Post by jw65106 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:43 pm

GW 25th-75th: 163-168

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:03 pm

They told me at a law school fair the average numbers last year were 3.89 and 169. I was going to apply for it but my 3.44 made me feel like it was too much of a reach so I used my ED at Georgetown since it's my dream school.

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:53 pm

c'mon OP, you could easily have gone to their website and looked at this:

http://www.law.gwu.edu/ADMISSIONS/JD/Pages/Profile.aspx

I am not trying to come off arrogant or anything, though. I am just trying to show you that some stuff are right there, only a google-click away.

HTH :)

[note: discard my post above if you meant stats on those who were accepted from the ED pool. If that's what you meant then LSN might be your best bet]

benh2os

New

Post by benh2os » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:57 pm

When I asked the dean about ED she told me that they accepted something like 20 ED applicants out of 500-900. I'm guessing many of the people who would get in ED are not applying because they can get into a T14
Last edited by benh2os on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

interestedbyestander

New

Post by interestedbyestander » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:16 pm

She said 900 people applied ED?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

benh2os

New

Post by benh2os » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:30 pm

I don't remember the number exactly but the number accepted was around 20 and the total was upwards of 500. The % Accepted was around 3. something percent

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:45 pm

if you have to go, does that mean youre not allowed to transfer out later on?

carpet

New

Post by carpet » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:20 am

I was thinking the same thing goosey.....

and what exactly are the implications of not following through

kflyer

New

Post by kflyer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:31 am

I would assume you could transfer out, but if you're in a good enough position in your class at GW to transfer up, you're probably not going to improve your job prospects much by doing so plus you would lose your full scholarship.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:37 am

kflyer wrote:I would assume you could transfer out, but if you're in a good enough position in your class at GW to transfer up, you're probably not going to improve your job prospects much by doing so plus you would lose your full scholarship.
Wouldn't job prospects change if u went from GW to GULC??

kflyer

New

Post by kflyer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:49 pm

Possibly. If you transfer to GULC and end up in the top of your class they are marginally better than being at the very top of your class at GW (which you would have to be to transfer). If you transfer and end up not as high in your class at GULC, I could easily see the prospects getting worse. GW may not be t-14 but it is still a good enough school that the very top of the class has some good options.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:48 pm

kflyer wrote:
Possibly. If you transfer to GULC and end up in the top of your class they are marginally better than being at the very top of your class at GW (which you would have to be to transfer). If you transfer and end up not as high in your class at GULC, I could easily see the prospects getting worse. GW may not be t-14 but it is still a good enough school that the very top of the class has some good options.
wow, I never thought of it that way.

I was actually looking at the GW site, they have some cool stuff. They have this externship thing you can do, not sure if other law schools have that as well, but I thought that was pretty cool.

hopeguy

New

Post by hopeguy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:26 pm

I'm a 2L at GW (transfer student).
If you go to GW and you end up in a position that allows you to transfer to a top 14 law school, then you do not really need to do it unless you want to change location or you want to become a professor (and in this case you would have to transfer to a top 10).

If your intent is to work for BigLaw, then you do not need to transfer, especially if you would transfer to a school within the top11-14 range. The job prospects for top of the class at GW are the same of those in the top11-14 schools. I'm telling you this because I have friends who decided not to transfer and that will be summer associates in the top 10-20-30 Vault law firms (the most prestigious ones). They are not the exception.

that's my advice ;)

goosey wrote:
kflyer wrote:
wow, I never thought of it that way.

I was actually looking at the GW site, they have some cool stuff. They have this externship thing you can do, not sure if other law schools have that as well, but I thought that was pretty cool.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:36 pm

kflyer wrote:
Since OCI is at the beginning of 2L, I don't see how your grades at the new school (in this case GULC) could be a factor in getting firm interviews.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:12 pm

wow this is interesting.
So do you guys think that splitters have a chance at ED???

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:22 pm

goosey wrote:wow this is interesting.
Without great softs, probably not. Very few schools give anything approaching a full ride to someone below one of the 25th percentiles. Even WUSTL, a very generous school for most people with 170+, only seems to give 60k for people below the 25th, 90k for those at or above it, and full ride (120k) for those above the median.

It's what makes splitters attractive in a way - a splitter can bring a great LSAT score and the school doesn't have to include merit $ to get them to attend, unlike someone who is above both 75th percentiles.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:12 pm

jsporter wrote:
goosey wrote:wow this is interesting.
Without great softs, probably not. Very few schools give anything approaching a full ride to someone below one of the 25th percentiles. Even WUSTL, a very generous school for most people with 170+, only seems to give 60k for people below the 25th, 90k for those at or above it, and full ride (120k) for those above the median.

It's what makes splitters attractive in a way - a splitter can bring a great LSAT score and the school doesn't have to include merit $ to get them to attend, unlike someone who is above both 75th percentiles.
would two internships with state senators(2 different state senators) be great softs? I mean...guaranteed the gpa will be below the 25th. But lsat I am hoping would be above the 75th.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”