Is Stanford's Form C really optional? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sluggo

Bronze

Is Stanford's Form C really optional?

Post by sluggo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Apologies in advance for what may easily be a noob/already-answered-question.

On Stanford's website they say that they require Form C for targeted letters of rec but that it is "not required" for applicants who are using general letters of recommendation. The school also says that they place a high value on targeted letters of rec. I'm not asking my three LOR writers to do anything other than a general letter of rec.

My question is: should I have them fill out Form C (it's where they evaluate you on a checkbox grid) even though they are all doing general letters of rec? What are most Stanford applicants on here doing?

Thanks

sluggo

Bronze

Re: Is Stanford's Form C really optional?

Post by sluggo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Amy,

So you simply have them use the same LOR as a "targeted" letter for Stanford? Did you ask them to change the LOR at all? I don't want to give Stanford the impression that I'm slacking on their application, but I want to get my apps in ASAP and want to make this as simple for my LOR writers as possible.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:18 pm

So am I correct in assuming that you're doing the Form C even though the LOR's that they submit are basically just going to say "Stanford" law school instead of "law school"? I don't mind asking my LOR's to print out an extra copy of their LOR that has Stanford plugged in there.

Another reason I'm a little unsure is that I'm pretty confident that the LOR writers are going to write strong rec's but I'm not exactly sure where they'd check me off on the grid. I'm not sure if I want to add an element of risk into my application if the form is truly optional.

Others: do you think the form is really optional or should all applicants do it?

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:46 am

What other schools among the t-14 have a process for targeted letters of recommendation?

dk99

New

Post by dk99 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:03 am

Is Form C definitely optional? Is it only for academic recommendations? I've been out of school for four years, so I have one recommendation from a former employer and one from a professor. I could easily get my former employer to write me a targeted letter. I could probably get my professor to do so as well, but I feel bad bothering her again and I doubt she would do more than change "law school" to "Stanford Law".

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help as always, everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr_Nex

New

Post by Dr_Nex » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:07 am

Forms B and C are some of the reasons I'm not applying to Stanford. They're the only school I thought of applying to that requests this. Pretty ridiculous, I think. Plus, I'd much rather be on the east coast so I can finally get a laser de-icer keychain.

dk99

New

Post by dk99 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:14 am

I don't think Form B is a problem. Just hand it the secretary at the Dean's Office with a pre-stamped envelope. They don't need to know who you are, basically they're just going to check your record to verify that you're in good standing, haven't had any disciplinary issues, etc. Keep in mind that even though most schools don't require this for the application, some require it for matriculation after you've been accepted.

From some schools they accept a Dean's Certification, which I had on file anyway, so I just sent that.

comeback

New

Post by comeback » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:17 am

Stanford's Form C is def. optional. I have 3 reason:

1) I know a Stanford law admission officer. It's really only recommended if your recommender is a STANFORD LAW SCHOOL Graduate AND has something meaningful to say about why ur a good fit with stanford.
2) I know plenty of current students who are in at stanford, and they were certainly no shoe-ins.
3) I personally did not include one, b/c it gives more opportunities for error for the recommender; and the admission officer told me that it is the substance of the letter, and not the actual form that matters.

Hope this helps!

dk99

New

Post by dk99 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:30 pm

It's only for Stanford Law Graduates? Have other people heard this as well?

JohnnyTrojan08

New

Post by JohnnyTrojan08 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Here's the official Stanford response... :arrow:

Thank you for your email.

Form C is only preferred if the recommenders are writing targeted letters. This is not a required form and is not a disadvantage for those applicants who choose not to use the form. Please try to submit the form and letter through LSAC if you wish for the forms to be included in your file.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Stanford Law School
Office of Admissions
559 Nathan Abbott Way
Stanford, CA 94305
P: 650-723-4985/F: 650-723-0838
http://www.law.stanford.edu/

- Hide quoted text - (My original Email) :shock:

To Whom it May Concern:

After receiving a letter from LSAC informing me that they had issues processing Form C with my letters of recommendation, I spoke with and LSAC representative. They suggested that I reach out to the admissions department and double-check if the form was required, even for non-specific letters. My understanding of the language on the application is that you require the form from all recommenders, regardless of whether they are addressing letters to Stanford or not.

One of the potential solutions we identified was for me to submit a new letter ID via fax to LSAC, which would allow them to update my report for Stanford with both letters and Form C documents. LSAC would then update my report with your admissions office.

Another solution would be for the Stanford representative to contact the LSAC representative and request for the Form C documents to be sent so my file could be updated in your records.

Please let me know which, if either, solution would be acceptable, as well as if you require Form C in this instance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”