WWYD- Penn State (UP) or Cardozo Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
smcs1968

New

WWYD- Penn State (UP) or Cardozo

Post by smcs1968 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:25 pm

WWYD:

Penn State (Up) $125,000 unconditional
Cardozo $90,000 unconditional

Would like to practice in northeast (not really looking at big law)
Employment numbers and 1 year Bar passage similar (although slightly higher for Penn State)
Cardozo is more than 70% New York and Penn State seems a little less regional (33% employed in PA)
Total cost of attendance is much higher at Cardozo due to higher tuition, lower scholarship, and higher cost of living in NY (will end up being about $125-$150k more for Cardozo).
Cardozo is ranked slightly higher but I feel like Penn State is the right choice based on my path.
Feedback?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: WWYD- Penn State (UP) or Cardozo

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:03 pm

Penn State.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:41 am

For your goals (which are a bit vague), I'd take the money at Penn State, assuming you'll be in a position to pay off that debt on your likely salary.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:20 pm

As someone who's been practicing for a few years, I had zero clue that Cardozo is ranked higher than Penn State. Rankings don't matter in a situation like this.

Out of those two options, Penn State seems like the obvious pick. Conditional scholarships are trash.

Do you actually have specific career goals? Why are these your options.

anymouseqwerty

New

Post by anymouseqwerty » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:51 pm

Employment outcomes aside, these school could barely be more different. Cardozo is in the heart of roughly the most expensive real estate in the world and Penn State is in a college town in the boonies. Given that ~5% of your remaining life span is going to be at one of these two schools, try to consider if you’d enjoy being a medium sized fish in a small pond or a tiny poor fish in a very expensive ocean. Living in deep Brooklyn/Queens and taking the subway in will get old really fast (not sure if Cardozo has dorms) and Manhattan is just not fun when you don’t have the money to enjoy it imo. Also, the student bodies and profs and admin will likely be more different than most school to school comparisons, mainly due to the urban - rural self selection.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”