Recommendations on what to do before law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thelogan

New

Recommendations on what to do before law school

Post by thelogan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:41 pm

I am currently a junior philosophy major (going into my senior year this fall) with a 3.9 gpa. Moreover, I know I want to pursue law school; however, as I am (1) currently 16 and (2) want to maximize my chances at getting into a top law school. Thus, I have been considering several post graduate plans…I am leaning towards a funded MA in philosophy (there are funded programs) as that would only be a two year time commitment and I do enjoy philosophy. What do y’all recommend doing, though? Thanks.

nixy

Gold

Re: Recommendations on what to do before law school

Post by nixy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:03 pm

Get a job and figure out what kind of work you do/don't like and figure out what it's like to work full time before you pick what you’re going to do for the rest of your life (or a big chunk of it). And don't go to law school until you're old enough to go to a bar legally.

[end grumpy old person rant]

thelogan

New

Post by thelogan » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:21 am

Thanks! I guess the problem with a job is I don't know what sort of job I would be able to get -- in terms of current work experience I have had one internship at a political consultant group and a fuck ton of research experience (4 independent studies and a very prestigious summer research internship I am working at this summer) in political science and philosophy. Do you have any recommendations in terms of that?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:16 am

I certainly think you should wait until you are 22 to go to law school. There's no rush. Go ahead and do a free MA and do well in it, go work at a supermarket or as an assistant or runner in a law firm. Get a bit of xp under your belt and enjoy life. I even think 22 is young for law school and folks should wait until they are 24-26 to start!

regardsjeremiah

New

Post by regardsjeremiah » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:41 am

You should utilize your interest in philosophy and pursue that MA degree program. This two-year commitment would not only benefit you academically, but it could also provide you with exposure to the legal field and see if it's what you really what to be doing for the rest of your career. Anyway, you have ample years ahead of you to plan to get that exposure first, don't sweat it.

melgibsonfan

New

Post by melgibsonfan » Tue May 02, 2023 11:14 pm

thelogan wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:41 pm
I am currently a junior philosophy major (going into my senior year this fall) with a 3.9 gpa. Moreover, I know I want to pursue law school; however, as I am (1) currently 16 and (2) want to maximize my chances at getting into a top law school. Thus, I have been considering several post graduate plans…I am leaning towards a funded MA in philosophy (there are funded programs) as that would only be a two year time commitment and I do enjoy philosophy. What do y’all recommend doing, though? Thanks.
Go into investment banking and see if you like to. Could be the best use of your time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”