Cousin wants to pursue JD and practice in Boston Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Eagle Esquire

New

Cousin wants to pursue JD and practice in Boston

Post by Eagle Esquire » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:09 pm

Got my JD 12 years ago. Worked for big firms and definitely a little burned out. Top 25 grad. Anyways, cousin wants to practice law in the hub, just signed up for LSAT.

What schools in New England are worth attending? What advice can you impart on him? Is BC or BU worth sticker? Thanks guys

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Cousin wants to pursue JD and practice in Boston

Post by crazywafflez » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:43 pm

I'm guessing you are a BC alum, hah.

I'd say first, what are your cousin's goals? Does she want to work at a big firm or do ADA work?

Let's say first she wants to either work at a smaller/local firm, do estate work in Franklin or west Mass, or do local govt work. I'd say going to Umass, Northeastern, and Suffolk, on large scholarships, would be worth it. So long as her debt is manageable and would be around or less than 60kish (my rule of thumb was to keep debt around what your first year expected salary would be). I would not go to Uconn or UNH if my goal was Boston though.

If she wants big law, BC and BU are certainly the local powerhouses, and I'd personally be willing to take on more debt for them, however, I would not pay full price for them.

Additionally, the T14 would also land her a big firm job back in Boston. I personally would only pay sticker for the T14 (and possibly not if I had a decent scholarship to BC/BU and my goal was Boston, with less of an emphasis on Big law).
This is just my 2 cent, and you honestly probs know the market better it sounds like.

Eagle Esquire

New

Post by Eagle Esquire » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:43 pm

Emory grad here. Couldn’t deal with those winters haha. Thanks for the insight. I’ll pass it along

Eagle Esquire

New

Post by Eagle Esquire » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:45 pm

Emory grad here. Not built for those winters haha. Thanks for the insight. I’ll pass it along

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:33 pm

When it comes to biglaw goals, BC’s power in boston is under estimated on this forum, rankings, etc. check out any amlaw 50’s boston office. Half the grads will be bc, if not 3/4.

notnotanapplicant

New

Post by notnotanapplicant » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:49 am

Current BU/BC student here. Both can be great schools for Boston big law at the right price, but I wouldn't attend at sticker. What exactly the right price is will vary from person to person (previous work experience and affinity group membership being two major factors).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”